Who would like to have lyrics inside Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rgdaniel

26 Nov 2018

I just downloaded and installed VST Notepad today, using the link above, and had the same problem... just got the empty wrapper, as pictured above.... also Win7/64 bit... interesting, but my need was not great enough to investigate further... uninstalled immediately...

BananaSkins

26 Nov 2018

Yep I've installed it correctly and it the latest v1.21, 64 version on a windows 7 - 64 bit system so I don't know why I can not see a full VST window open up...
Have you updated Reason to 10.2.1 yet?

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018

Not only aren't they very adaptable but they are only visible in the rack, not the sequencer which is what I want to see when I'm singing so I can see which section of the song is coming up.
You could also do split view Rack/Seq.

Though, you don't need to see your sequencer to know where you are at in the song, that is achieved simply by listening.

The feature might be good for you personally but I don't see many people using it, and in that case would prefer to keep bloat out of Reason. I think the multi-lane editing is bloat too, a utterly useless feature to me but I'm aware that many find that particular feature useful.
Then stay on Reason 10 (Not 10.2 as you don't need Multi-lane Editing) and you don't have that 'bloat as you call it?

I personally want more, more, more and anyway, if you don't need a feature, don't use it.

Also, you do (in some instances) need to see visually where you are in the track as you might just have a piano and bass line looping 20 times (so far) and so you'll only know how many bars in you are if you look at the time line.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jam-s

26 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018
It's nothing to do with hard, it's to do with efficiency and it's time consuming. So when you want to see your lyrics whilst singing a vocal you need to hit record and then you need to fiddle about clicking another tab at the bottom of the screen to pull up an additional screen (notepad / word / wordpad) as you can't hit record if you open the notepad first. So then you start to sing and let's say you then miss the point where you needed to come in or mess up the vocal take so then you have to stop singing and then switch back to Reason, erase the vocal. Start again. What a palaver. I know as I'm a guitarist / songwriter and I've used this method countless times (over 50) and having everything self-contained in Reason is just a more logical solution. It's a no brainer. It's irritated me many times.

Do you sing lyrics into Reason because you don't come across like you do?
I've seen quite a few singers use a tablet/phone for their lyrics. Seems to work pretty well for them.

Belltunes

27 Nov 2018

For singing I use the RSTouch controller and have my lyrics on a google doc on my iPad. Very easy to toggle between the RSTouch application and the lyrics on the iPad. Fast and simple!
However It would be nice to have a repository in Reason to contain the associated lyrics for songs so they are always there as a reference.

demt

27 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
21 Jun 2018
aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
WIN Key + R

Then type "notepad" and press enter. Not sure how to on mac though.

Why in the world would they need to add one inside Reason? C'mon people!!

Yeah, I use notepad myself and it's not ideal. So let's say you have a guitar track and lyrics, which I have typed in Notepad. You have to have the notepad minimized to be on Reason or at least not on the screen at the time, then you hit record (in Reason) and have to then click another program open or maximize it with the lyrics in to have them there to sing and the amount of times I've not had time to do it because you are trying to set yourself up in a position to sing. So getting the mic ready and adjusted and yourself in position etc and this is just me in my bedroom not to mention people who would find it useful in studios. OK, in a studio you'd probably be in a vocal booth and have the lyrics either memorised or printed off but it's not just for lyrics, notes too. So if you come back to a project 6 months later, you know what you were going for or where you were at as you'd have the notes there in the program, not having to create another file on your computer in another location to do something which in all intents and purposes should be in the program. Every other daw has this, or the main ones do, Pro Tools, Cubase, FL Studio, Logic etc

Your argument is like saying, why have audio in Reason, just use audacity then import it in. Lol!
exactly
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

psonicspot

27 Nov 2018

BananaSkins wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Yep I've installed it correctly and it the latest v1.21, 64 version on a windows 7 - 64 bit system so I don't know why I can not see a full VST window open up...
I'm updated here to latest Reason version (from a day or two ago), but the plugin has worked in Reason for me since VST implementation. My VSTNotepad version is 1.15. See if there is an option to download older versions and maybe try that one? It's solid and stable for me - and now i know not to update it. : )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Definitely a VSTNotepad V1.21 problem. I downloaded 1.21 and i'm having the same issues as others. I wrote the developer and reported the problem.

bxbrkrz

27 Nov 2018

Lyrics Step Recorder by Robotic Bean AB... Make it happen. Turn it into reality! :cool:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Creativemind

28 Nov 2018

psonicspot wrote:
27 Nov 2018
BananaSkins wrote:
26 Nov 2018
I'm updated here to latest Reason version (from a day or two ago), but the plugin has worked in Reason for me since VST implementation. My VSTNotepad version is 1.15. See if there is an option to download older versions and maybe try that one? It's solid and stable for me - and now i know not to update it. : )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Definitely a VSTNotepad V1.21 problem. I downloaded 1.21 and i'm having the same issues as others. I wrote the developer and reported the problem.
I just downloaded this and it works as a notepad in Reason brilliantly but then I tried the 'Keep Open' option on the VST in the rack, went to the sequencer, gone, argh! I WANT TO SEE IT IN THE SEQUENCER!

I hope Propellerhead fix this issue in the VST update coming soon as I want VST's to be visible in the sequencer when 'Keep Open' is selected for people who have 1 screen but the windows separated like I do. I know this will give VST's an advantage over Re's (as Re's by their very definition are Rack Mounted and therefore fixed into that window) but would solve the problem I'm having now with this VSTNotepad and I bet there are many other VST's that people here would love to have open in the sequencer.

psonicspot

28 Nov 2018

The problem with the GUI of VSTNotepad not showing up in the latest version should be fixed soon. It was a problem with the plugin getting the DPI settings from Windows. Not sure but this may have just been a problem with Win7. I did some e-mails and de-bugging back and forth with the developer and it seems to be working great now. I'm hoping he will put up a Version 1.22 soon with the fix. It's a great plugin and very useful in Reason.

BananaSkins

29 Nov 2018

psonicspot wrote:
28 Nov 2018
The problem with the GUI of VSTNotepad not showing up in the latest version should be fixed soon. It was a problem with the plugin getting the DPI settings from Windows. Not sure but this may have just been a problem with Win7. I did some e-mails and de-bugging back and forth with the developer and it seems to be working great now. I'm hoping he will put up a Version 1.22 soon with the fix. It's a great plugin and very useful in Reason.
Thanks for that info:
Looking forward to trying a fixed version out :thumbs_up:

rgdaniel

29 Nov 2018

VSTNotepad v1.22 now up... seems to work fine...

https://www.codefn42.com/vstnotepad/

psonicspot

29 Nov 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
29 Nov 2018
VSTNotepad v1.22 now up... seems to work fine...

https://www.codefn42.com/vstnotepad/
Yep, it's up and is working great. Seems it was a problem with Windows versions below 8.1. Once it's open in Reason you can right-click in the notepad, click preferences and set your width, height, font, colors, etc.

BananaSkins

01 Dec 2018

Good Stuff! :thumbs_up:
Attachments
VSTNOTES 1.22 FIXED.jpg
VSTNOTES 1.22 FIXED.jpg (203.21 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

Creativemind

08 Aug 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
01 Dec 2018
Good Stuff! :thumbs_up:
You don't compose lyrics, you write lyrics and compose music. ;)

Been looking for a more elaborate VST Notepad but not found any. I've been using CodeFN42 VSTNotepad for a few months now and it works great but sad to say, with everything in life, I'm a bit bored of it. No font types, colours or sizes and can't change the background colour. Does the job though and I'm grateful.

I've also found Melda Productions MNotepad which has more functionality but some of which in the "Settings" don't seem to work on mine. Perhaps I need to upgrade as there is an option.

Another one I found was Terragon ExtraNotes but it crashed. That one allowed me to add a png pic too.

I'm very surprised a big company such as Waves, D16 Group, FabFilter, Arturia or Kilohearts haven't made a really (excuse the language but the dogs bollocks of VST Notepads in this day 'n' age!). I suppose because most daws include one these days.

I'm looking for one with multiple font types, inks, font sizes and background colours, line spacing and alignment, bold/italic/underline, obviously copy and paste, blocking of text and even multiple pages if that was possible so I can use one page for lyrics and others for Rack notes, Sequencer notes and Mixer notes. The inclusion of jpg's and png's as well.

BananaSkins

08 Aug 2019

:thumbs_up: VST Notepad is the perfect addition to the Reason Rack for composing my tracks / lyrics...All my templates have it in showing up on my 4th monitor...Sweet!

boingy

08 Aug 2019

VST Notepad is in my standard song template along with an (unconnected) EMI. I used Notepad for lyrics and the EMI track to annotate the song chords. Both of these devices would not be required if Reason was even half-way caught up with its rivals...

• Information