Who would like to have lyrics inside Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ahornberg

26 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
26 Jun 2018
I also have been using pen/paper, but sometimes when I want to find something I have written many years ago, I may have hard time to find them quickly. By the way, if my songs would have this feature, I could learn my own lyrics or also let my studio guests sing along. As after 150 or so songs later, I barely can remember one of the lyrics in a whole.
150 songs, man! You've written a whole songbook :thumbs_up:

deepndark

26 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
26 Jun 2018
deepndark wrote:
26 Jun 2018
I also have been using pen/paper, but sometimes when I want to find something I have written many years ago, I may have hard time to find them quickly. By the way, if my songs would have this feature, I could learn my own lyrics or also let my studio guests sing along. As after 150 or so songs later, I barely can remember one of the lyrics in a whole.
150 songs, man! You've written a whole songbook :thumbs_up:
Well yeah, I have made computer music for 21 years. So I've had plenty of time.
I know a guy who has made over 100 albums.

27 Jun 2018

File->Song Information

There is a notepad there and even a space for your 7" single sleeve image.

I use it to scatch lyrics down sometimes. Apologies if this was mentioned - I just skimmed the thread...

Dante

27 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Fold/Unfold lyrics in Reason anyone? Maybe a shortcut key could show them up, where the Rack is?
Maybe a way to draw text clips into sequencer and we'd have a karaokeish way to view lyrics?

EDIT, Maybe two different text lines in different colors, separated by line.
YES PLEASE ! I am using the TMA to type lyrics into, but its limiting and time consuming as its all line by line stuff. A fully fledged editor for lyrics would be great !

SonicDreamer

23 Nov 2018

Hi, I just noticed this thread. I'm a part time producer in South Africa and I would also like to have lyrics and chords inside my Reason projects so that it all is kept together. Me and a friend is also performing live using Reason and we do covers, more than 40 songs at most gigs. He plays guitar and sing, and me keyboard, sax and sing. So remembering all the words and chords is a little overwhelming. I'm also a systems programmer as a full time job, and am wondering if there is a need to develop an RE for this (I have a Reason Recon developer's license). I've been looking at some of the requirements in this thread. Who would be interested to use it?
Thanks,
Eben

antic604

23 Nov 2018

SonicDreamer wrote:
23 Nov 2018
I'm also a systems programmer as a full time job, and am wondering if there is a need to develop an RE for this (I have a Reason Recon developer's license). I've been looking at some of the requirements in this thread. Who would be interested to use it?
If it was priced reasonably (say $19) then I'd use it during production to show up comments of what I need to change / adjust, etc. So all I need is time/bar and text to display.

Currently I do this in Soundcloud by commenting on my (private) tracks, so such an RE would definitely be neat :D

Heigen5

23 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
23 Nov 2018
SonicDreamer wrote:
23 Nov 2018
I'm also a systems programmer as a full time job, and am wondering if there is a need to develop an RE for this (I have a Reason Recon developer's license). I've been looking at some of the requirements in this thread. Who would be interested to use it?
If it was priced reasonably (say $19) then I'd use it during production to show up comments of what I need to change / adjust, etc. So all I need is time/bar and text to display.

Currently I do this in Soundcloud by commenting on my (private) tracks, so such an RE would definitely be neat :D
Yes!! I do it with .txt files atm, but this would take it to the next level! :thumbs_up:

psonicspot

26 Nov 2018

This is free and works great for me:

https://www.codefn42.com/vstnotepad/

ejanuska

26 Nov 2018

I love these threads.
It is so funny reading all this hopeful optimism about what they should put in Reason.
Maybe if they implement this it can be done to look super-analog like everything else.
I'm thinking a feather pen and a scroll of parchment with a light brown tint.
Make sure the typeface is a script so fucking hard to read that you have to buy a $20 RE to upgrade to comic sans.

Heigen5

26 Nov 2018

I love these people who step inside the shoes of Props to say NO...

BananaSkins

26 Nov 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
26 Nov 2018
I love these people who step inside the shoes of Props to say NO...

Well said! :thumbs_up:

BananaSkins

26 Nov 2018

psonicspot wrote:
26 Nov 2018

Can I ask how you managed to correctly install this? I can not get a full VST window to open up in either 64bit / or 32bit jbridge of this VST plugin

See picture attached''...
Attachments
notepad vst error.jpg
notepad vst error.jpg (232.76 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Yes. It is a good idea. None of the replies offered a good reason why it wasn't.
That's just tickled me pink.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
BananaSkins wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Music and lyrics go hand in hand...

If a song contains lyrics, these are just as or even more important than the music. So I think a karaoke type resizable window tab would be a great addition to Reason 11.
Sometimes its good to switch off from constantly looking at the sequencer or mixing window.
For songwriters when analizing your lyrics I think this extra tab window would be a good addition. :thumbs_up:
What's hard about opening up a text editor built into your OS if you need to open up a "window tab" in Reason?
It's nothing to do with hard, it's to do with efficiency and it's time consuming. So when you want to see your lyrics whilst singing a vocal you need to hit record and then you need to fiddle about clicking another tab at the bottom of the screen to pull up an additional screen (notepad / word / wordpad) as you can't hit record if you open the notepad first. So then you start to sing and let's say you then miss the point where you needed to come in or mess up the vocal take so then you have to stop singing and then switch back to Reason, erase the vocal. Start again. What a palaver. I know as I'm a guitarist / songwriter and I've used this method countless times (over 50) and having everything self-contained in Reason is just a more logical solution. It's a no brainer. It's irritated me many times.

Do you sing lyrics into Reason because you don't come across like you do?
Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Nov 2018, edited 4 times in total.

pushedbutton

26 Nov 2018

If someone make a singstar style RE which let you use a midi vocal channel to see how close you are to being in tune while it displayed the lyrics I'd be all over it.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018
aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018

What's hard about opening up a text editor built into your OS if you need to open up a "window tab" in Reason?
It's nothing to do with hard, it's to do with efficiency and it's time consuming. So when you want to see your lyrics whilst singing a vocal you need to hit record and then you need to fiddle about clicking another tab at the bottom of the screen to pull up an additional screen (notepad / word / wordpad) as you can't hit record if you open the notepad first. So then you start to sing and let's say you then miss the point where you needed to come in or mess up the vocal take so then you have to stop singing and then switch back to Reason, erase the vocal. Start again. What a palaver. I know as I'm a guitarist / songwriter and I've used this method countless times (over 50) and having everything self-contained in Reason is just a more logical solution. It's a no brainer. It's irritated me many times.

Okay, write your lyrics down on paper (You'd do that anyway right?)

Problem solved!

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2018
aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
I'm a little lost on this one, too. I've never worked or played with a vocalist who requested lyrics in a DAW. They've either had them memorized, pulled out a notepad on their phone or a physical sheet of paper. Even if the unlikely scenario came up where they asked for it on screen, you can resize the entire Reason window and pull up Word or Notepad right next to it or where ever you want on your screen(s) layout.

At this rate, I would like a Netflix RE so I can watch a movie while I record.
So what about notes (not lyrics) for reminders of what you were aiming for (such as Sidechain the Bass or something) to remind you next time. So you're gonna have loads of bits of paper or a separate paper notepad for like 80 Reason projects or go through the rigmarole of creating another 80 word / wordpad/ notepad files? why do Logic and FL Studio and presumably every other daw have this feature if it's totally unnecessary?

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018

Okay, write your lyrics down on paper (You'd do that anyway right?)

Problem solved!
Because a) my handwriting is terrible and I don't like writing much and b).because it'd be so much better and efficient to have this feature contained within the daw itself. So let's suppose (just an example) that the ink in your pen ran out or you had no paper left? not to mention when you change a lyric or decide you don't like that line then want to change it (you can't rub out pen easily can you) yeah back to the word / wordpad suggestion which I've stated in this thread is a big hassle when you have to keep switching back and forth.

If word or wordpad is a suggestion for not needing a notepad in Reason then you could argue, why is audio in Reason when you could just use Audacity (which is free) and import it after.
Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018
strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2018

I'm a little lost on this one, too. I've never worked or played with a vocalist who requested lyrics in a DAW. They've either had them memorized, pulled out a notepad on their phone or a physical sheet of paper. Even if the unlikely scenario came up where they asked for it on screen, you can resize the entire Reason window and pull up Word or Notepad right next to it or where ever you want on your screen(s) layout.

At this rate, I would like a Netflix RE so I can watch a movie while I record.
So what about notes (not lyrics) for reminders of what you were aiming for (such as Sidechain the Bass or something) to remind you next time. So you're gonna have loads of bits of paper or a separate paper notepad for like 80 Reason projects or go through the rigmarole of creating another 80 word / wordpad/ notepad files? why do Logic and FL Studio and presumably every other daw have this feature if it's totally unnecessary?

These jiggery-pokery RE are pretty handy for that

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018

Not only aren't they very adaptable but they are only visible in the rack, not the sequencer which is what I want to see when I'm singing so I can see which section of the song is coming up.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018
aeox wrote:
26 Nov 2018

Not only aren't they very adaptable but they are only visible in the rack, not the sequencer which is what I want to see when I'm singing so I can see which section of the song is coming up.
You could also do split view Rack/Seq.

Though, you don't need to see your sequencer to know where you are at in the song, that is achieved simply by listening.

The feature might be good for you personally but I don't see many people using it, and in that case would prefer to keep bloat out of Reason. I think the multi-lane editing is bloat too, a utterly useless feature to me but I'm aware that many find that particular feature useful.

Heigen5

26 Nov 2018

My quess, at least 1/3 will use it and that's already alot IMO.

ejanuska

26 Nov 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
26 Nov 2018
I like the way you stepped in to give your best guess opinion.

Heigen5

26 Nov 2018

ejanuska wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
26 Nov 2018
I like the way you stepped in to give your best guess opinion.
Me too! :puf_wink:

psonicspot

26 Nov 2018

BananaSkins wrote:
26 Nov 2018
psonicspot wrote:
26 Nov 2018

Can I ask how you managed to correctly install this? I can not get a full VST window to open up in either 64bit / or 32bit jbridge of this VST plugin

See picture attached''...
Hmm.. not sure what the problem could be there. Maybe you have a different version of the plugin? No problems installing or opening up in Reason (10.2) for me. Plugin is version 1.15/64bit and i'm still on Win7/64. It's at the top of my standard Reason template and i use it all the time with no problems. You can change font, font size, font color and background color. The .dll is in its own folder inside my Reason VST folder.

• Information