Who would like to have lyrics inside Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

21 Jun 2018

Fold/Unfold lyrics in Reason anyone? Maybe a shortcut key could show them up, where the Rack is?
Maybe a way to draw text clips into sequencer and we'd have a karaokeish way to view lyrics?

EDIT, Maybe two different text lines in different colors, separated by line.
Last edited by deepndark on 21 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

RobC

21 Jun 2018

I already suggested them a lyric writing tool, which would detect rhythm, warn you if you're off or writing something completely impossible to perform. Something that would detect parts by lyrics and chop the vocal up according to that, etc.
These things combined would be handy.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

The TMA REs are enough for me.

deepndark

21 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
21 Jun 2018
I already suggested them a lyric writing tool, which would detect rhythm, warn you if you're off or writing something completely impossible to perform. Something that would detect parts by lyrics and chop the vocal up according to that, etc.
These things combined would be handy.
:thumbs_up:

antic604

21 Jun 2018

You can add labels to clips that will be displayed right above them:

deepndark

21 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
You can add labels to clips that will be displayed right above them:
I knew about this, never tried it yet, I quess this is better than nothing but I'm all about proper solutions.

antic604

21 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
21 Jun 2018
I knew about this, never tried it yet
So how do you know it's not a 'proper solution' already? :)

deepndark

21 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
deepndark wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Because of a vision of a better one?

antic604

21 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
21 Jun 2018
antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Because of a vision of a better one?
So you're not using what's already there and meets 70% of your needs, because theoretically there can be a feature that's 100% fitting? Right, carry on :)

ravisoni

21 Jun 2018

TMA Commentator REs by JP (all free).

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... mmentator/

Each version seperately [sic, if you know what I mean] made to accommodate the length of your lyrics. :lol:
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

craven

21 Jun 2018

Karaoke RE
:ugeek:

Creativemind

21 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Oh yeah, the ones that don't allow you insert text before other text, so in the case of lyrics, if you decide to change a word later, you can't. No offence, but they are nigh on useless for lyrics.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

21 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
deepndark wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Because he's talking about adding lyrics, this video shows how to add labels to clips. I might be mistaken but adding labels to clips isn't having lyrics as a feature in Reason.

I have an idea which I shared with Propellerhead probably a year ago:-

A Notepad / Lyricpad,

Show / hide with F12 (that's doing nothing) and appears back on the screen wherever it was last left or shown
It's scalable (has a min and max scaling as to not get too silly)
Visible in any window too....Rack, Sequencer or Mixer
Has many pages (maybe 5 or infinite) so can be used for lyrics and/or notes too.
Has at least 3 fonts with the Propellerhead font as default. Maybe Times New Roman and Arial also.
Has 5pt to 20pt font sizing.
Has all the colours in the colour pallet available for the fonts
Cut and paste before / after other text and block highlight etc
Bold / Italic / Underlining of text
Notepad files are saveable, loadable and printable. Handy for sharing techniques in notepad files etc with other users.

and a very important one...opens on playback and record mode. So if it's not on the screen and you have 'opens on record mode selected' then as soon as you hit record, it will open, pre-pre-click too. You can also tell it which page you want it to open to. So I would have lyrics on Page 1, so that page would be the most likely one I'd need for me. Pages 2, 3 and 4 would be Rack, Sequencer and Mixer notes. 'Cause let's face it, you're bound to forget to open it before hitting that record button.

antic604

21 Jun 2018

Creativemind wrote:
21 Jun 2018
antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Because he's talking about adding lyrics, this video shows how to add labels to clips. I might be mistaken but adding labels to clips isn't having lyrics as a feature in Reason.

I have an idea which I shared with Propellerhead probably a year ago:-

A Notepad / Lyricpad,

Show / hide with F12 (that's doing nothing) and appears back on the screen wherever it was last left or shown
It's scalable (has a min and max scaling as to not get too silly)
Visible in any window too....Rack, Sequencer or Mixer
Has many pages (maybe 5 or infinite) so can be used for lyrics and/or notes too.
Has at least 3 fonts with the Propellerhead font as default. Maybe Times New Roman and Arial also.
Has 5pt to 20pt font sizing.
Has all the colours in the colour pallet available for the fonts
Cut and paste before / after other text and block highlight etc
Bold / Italic / Underlining of text
Notepad files are saveable, loadable and printable

and a very important one...opens on playback and record mode. So if it's not on the screen and you have 'opens on record mode selected' then as soon as you hit record, it will open, pre-pre-click too. You can also tell it which page you want it to open to. So I would have lyrics on Page 1, so that page would be the most likely one I'd need for me. Pages 2, 3 and 4 would be Rack, Sequencer and Mixer notes. 'Cause let's face it, you're bound to forget to open it before hitting that record button.
Sure, I understand the difference but what's the goal here - turn Reason into a karaoke machine?! If you just want to know for yourself where which lyric is, clip labels are more than sufficient. If you need this feature to somehow indicate to the performing artist on what & where to sing, then ...they're not an "artist" if they need such precise guidelines! Again, clip labels should be enough.

Sorry, considering how many things are missing in Reason, this request sounds ridiculous :)

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

WIN Key + R

Then type "notepad" and press enter. Not sure how to on mac though.

Why in the world would they need to add one inside Reason? C'mon people!!

Creativemind

21 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Sure, I understand the difference but what's the goal here - turn Reason into a karaoke machine?! If you just want to know for yourself where which lyric is, clip labels are more than sufficient. If you need this feature to somehow indicate to the performing artist on what & where to sing, then ...they're not an "artist" if they need such precise guidelines! Again, clip labels should be enough.

Sorry, considering how many things are missing in Reason, this request sounds ridiculous :)
Karaoke is a bit far and indicating lyrics and all that. I was just talking about a notepad which most DAW's have these days. And clip labels erm...are labels for the clips to label them, which again, should be an automatic thing when labeling a track. Should automatically label the clip.

You are right thought, many more missing features which are more important than this that need implementing first. It does need a notepad though.....eventually.

I feel the same as you do about this feature when someone suggests video sync lol! I think, "video sync" they haven't even completed the audio yet capabilities or midi editing stuff, you can't even do auto crossfading in the sequencer for instance or punch in/out, auto detect audio tempo and loads of midi stuff.

Creativemind

21 Jun 2018

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
WIN Key + R

Then type "notepad" and press enter. Not sure how to on mac though.

Why in the world would they need to add one inside Reason? C'mon people!!

Yeah, I use notepad myself and it's not ideal. So let's say you have a guitar track and lyrics, which I have typed in Notepad. You have to have the notepad minimized to be on Reason or at least not on the screen at the time, then you hit record (in Reason) and have to then click another program open or maximize it with the lyrics in to have them there to sing and the amount of times I've not had time to do it because you are trying to set yourself up in a position to sing. So getting the mic ready and adjusted and yourself in position etc and this is just me in my bedroom not to mention people who would find it useful in studios. OK, in a studio you'd probably be in a vocal booth and have the lyrics either memorised or printed off but it's not just for lyrics, notes too. So if you come back to a project 6 months later, you know what you were going for or where you were at as you'd have the notes there in the program, not having to create another file on your computer in another location to do something which in all intents and purposes should be in the program. Every other daw has this, or the main ones do, Pro Tools, Cubase, FL Studio, Logic etc

Your argument is like saying, why have audio in Reason, just use audacity then import it in. Lol!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Creativemind wrote:
21 Jun 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Oh yeah, the ones that don't allow you insert text before other text, so in the case of lyrics, if you decide to change a word later, you can't. No offence, but they are nigh on useless for lyrics.
Hmm. Not sure what you mean exactly.
"if you decide to change a word later, you can't." What do you mean? I've changed many words just like I would in any text writing program.
What you can't do is to write or insert LONG blocks of texts on the same line. Maybe that's what you mean? In that case, yes it's a limitation.

Anyway, the TMAs might not be perfect, but like I said they are enough for me to use as a notepad with ideas, reminders, song titles, lyrics, info etc. After all, all I said was "The TMA REs are enough FOR ME."

miscend

21 Jun 2018

You can use rack extensions to write lyrics. There are free ones with notepads on them.

EdGrip

21 Jun 2018

I mean, it's one thing to know which lyrics an audio clip contains, hence clip labels. But if you aren't tight and practiced enough at performing your lyrics that you know them by heart, know how to make them scan just right etc, what's the point of writing them in the sequencer? I just can't work out what use this would possibly be.

guitfnky

21 Jun 2018

clip labels would not be useful for lyrics. using separator/comment Rack Extensions might be a little better, but probably not great for most people who would want this sort of thing. the idea that having a notepad in Reason would make it some sort of karaoke machine is...strange. having good notes is important when a singer hasn't yet been able to memorize any last minute changes.

personally, I prefer a good old pad of paper with a pen, but I can understand why having a digital notepad to keep track of it that's also tied to the actual recording session would be very useful for some. suggesting it's a ridiculous request is, well, ridiculous.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

21 Jun 2018

EdGrip wrote:
21 Jun 2018
I mean, it's one thing to know which lyrics an audio clip contains, hence clip labels. But if you aren't tight and practiced enough at performing your lyrics that you know them by heart, know how to make them scan just right etc, what's the point of writing them in the sequencer? I just can't work out what use this would possibly be.
I'm with you. putting lyrics into the clip labels might be useful to a very small degree if you just want a reminder of maybe the first few words of the section, but even then, it's not exactly efficient. for one, you have to add your text to each clip individually; depending on the song, that could be time consuming. then there's the matter of readability...if you're working on a track that's colored dark red, and have a label on it, the black text isn't going to be super easy to read at a glance anyway, and add to that, I think the text labels are all of a fixed (small) size. not ideal.

an in-app text editor, even with just some basic features would be far more useful, I think.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Noplan
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Please no. That's just one more reason why the singers don`t have to learn their lyrics.

bxbrkrz

21 Jun 2018

Yes. It is a good idea. None of the replies offered a good reason why it wasn't.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

BananaSkins

21 Jun 2018

Music and lyrics go hand in hand...

If a song contains lyrics, these are just as or even more important than the music. So I think a karaoke type resizable window tab would be a great addition to Reason 11.
Sometimes its good to switch off from constantly looking at the sequencer or mixing window.
For songwriters when analizing your lyrics I think this extra tab window would be a good addition. :thumbs_up:

• Information