Who would like to have lyrics inside Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

BananaSkins wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Music and lyrics go hand in hand...

If a song contains lyrics, these are just as or even more important than the music. So I think a karaoke type resizable window tab would be a great addition to Reason 11.
Sometimes its good to switch off from constantly looking at the sequencer or mixing window.
For songwriters when analizing your lyrics I think this extra tab window would be a good addition. :thumbs_up:
What's hard about opening up a text editor built into your OS if you need to open up a "window tab" in Reason?

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

And forgive any ignorance here.. I'm not sure what you guys mean by turning Reason into a karaoke machine.

guitfnky

21 Jun 2018

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
BananaSkins wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Music and lyrics go hand in hand...

If a song contains lyrics, these are just as or even more important than the music. So I think a karaoke type resizable window tab would be a great addition to Reason 11.
Sometimes its good to switch off from constantly looking at the sequencer or mixing window.
For songwriters when analizing your lyrics I think this extra tab window would be a good addition. :thumbs_up:
What's hard about opening up a text editor built into your OS if you need to open up a "window tab" in Reason?
nothing is hard about it. it's just not ideal. having access to a text editor within Reason that is specific to the track you're currently working in would just make more sense than having to open two separate files (the Reason song, and the appropriate text file).

most users (arguably?) have literally all of the other song-related data right at their fingertips within Reason - audio, processing, note information, etc; it would make sense to have an elegant way to include lyrics in the song as well, no?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

guitfnky wrote:
21 Jun 2018
aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018

nothing is hard about it. it's just not ideal. having access to a text editor within Reason that is specific to the track you're currently working in would just make more sense than having to open two separate files (the Reason song, and the appropriate text file).

most users (arguably?) have literally all of the other song-related data right at their fingertips within Reason - audio, processing, note information, etc; it would make sense to have an elegant way to include lyrics in the song as well, no?
Not as a core feature but maybe a RE?

BananaSkins

21 Jun 2018

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Txt files always hide behind Reason windows when you in full flow and you don't want them to vanish!
Self contained lyric files that open up instantly would be a great time saver and fool proof when you have hundreds of Reason songs that contain lyrics.

guitfnky

21 Jun 2018

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
guitfnky wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Not as a core feature but maybe a RE?
I think as a core feature would work better (though I haven't thought too hard on it, so I could be wrong). it would probably be better off having it in a separate window, not tied into the Rack, specifically. that should allow for the most flexibility with multiple users' workflows. I'm guessing the Rack is probably the last window an average user (with limited screen real estate) would want open when tracking vocals. and to BananaSkins' point, you'd probably want to at least have the option to allow it to float in front of the rest of the Reason windows (sort of like the frequency analyzer/F8 tools).

BananaSkins

21 Jun 2018

[/quote]
and to BananaSkins' point, you'd probably want to at least have the option to allow it to float in front of the rest of the Reason windows (sort of like the frequency analyzer/F8 tools).
[/quote]

:thumbs_up:

FlowerSoldier

21 Jun 2018

I always created a note lane, made a clip and then labeled the clip with the lyrics. It's not ideal, but it works for me.

strangers
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
I'm a little lost on this one, too. I've never worked or played with a vocalist who requested lyrics in a DAW. They've either had them memorized, pulled out a notepad on their phone or a physical sheet of paper. Even if the unlikely scenario came up where they asked for it on screen, you can resize the entire Reason window and pull up Word or Notepad right next to it or where ever you want on your screen(s) layout.

At this rate, I would like a Netflix RE so I can watch a movie while I record.

Ahornberg

22 Jun 2018

strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Some old Arcade games REvived would be great to :mrgreen:
pacman_01.jpg
pacman_01.jpg (272.91 KiB) Viewed 3264 times

guitfnky

22 Jun 2018

love how people mock a good idea because they wouldn’t find it useful, personally. if Reason only included the stuff everyone used, it would just be an icon you could double click on your desktop for fun. 😏

O1B

22 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Sorry, considering how many things are missing in Reason, this request sounds ridiculous :)

deepndark

22 Jun 2018

guitfnky wrote:
22 Jun 2018
love how people mock a good idea because they wouldn’t find it useful, personally. if Reason only included the stuff everyone used, it would just be an icon you could double click on your desktop for fun. 😏
This! I tried notebad and it wasn't working that well so made me want this. What is ridiculous for some .....

ravisoni

22 Jun 2018

strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2018

I'm a little lost on this one, too. I've never worked or played with a vocalist who requested lyrics in a DAW. They've either had them memorized, pulled out a notepad on their phone or a physical sheet of paper.

Then there are others like us who are producers, lyricists, singers ourselves (crappy ones like me or brilliant ones like many on this forum). For us, it would be much simpler to have the songs self contained because we are literally churning out 1-3 ideas per day when we are in the zone. Especially more so when you start naming the file "R10Export2.reason" but when you want to send a demo to someone, you export it as "Beautiful Song". If you saved your notepad file as R10Export2, good luck trying to remember which notepad file matches with which Reason file with which exported file. Here again, it would be good to have a self-contained text holder within Reason. Managing folders and files is an extra step that can be avoided by something what is requested here. It's a small annoyance, but any annoyance can be big enough to impede the flow of creativity once you're into it.

The TMA commentators generally work fine for me, though yes, it would be nice (not necessary, but nice) where I don't have to double click on each new line or worry about running out of space on a line, etc (there's no font wrapping with TMA).
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

strangers
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2018

ravisoni wrote:
22 Jun 2018
strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2018

I'm a little lost on this one, too. I've never worked or played with a vocalist who requested lyrics in a DAW. They've either had them memorized, pulled out a notepad on their phone or a physical sheet of paper.

Then there are others like us who are producers, lyricists, singers ourselves (crappy ones like me or brilliant ones like many on this forum). For us, it would be much simpler to have the songs self contained because we are literally churning out 1-3 ideas per day when we are in the zone. Especially more so when you start naming the file "R10Export2.reason" but when you want to send a demo to someone, you export it as "Beautiful Song". If you saved your notepad file as R10Export2, good luck trying to remember which notepad file matches with which Reason file with which exported file. Here again, it would be good to have a self-contained text holder within Reason. Managing folders and files is an extra step that can be avoided by something what is requested here. It's a small annoyance, but any annoyance can be big enough to impede the flow of creativity once you're into it.

The TMA commentators generally work fine for me, though yes, it would be nice (not necessary, but nice) where I don't have to double click on each new line or worry about running out of space on a line, etc (there's no font wrapping with TMA).
Thanks for explaining this. From this point of view, it makes more sense to me than the karaoke machine thing. I generically name all of my songs while they're still a work in progress too. Makes it impossible to remember what is what until loading and playing the file.

Disregard my previous ignorance. It's funny how touchy some can get without even offering sensible insight like you did when someone like myself voiced being lost on the topic at hand. Another day in the life on the Interwebz...

deepndark

22 Jun 2018

Would it be possible to develope a RE that has A1, A2 patterns, to control what text will be shown on the RE gui/screen?

jimmyklane

22 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Fold/Unfold lyrics in Reason anyone? Maybe a shortcut key could show them up, where the Rack is?
Maybe a way to draw text clips into sequencer and we'd have a karaokeish way to view lyrics?

EDIT, Maybe two different text lines in different colors, separated by line.
Haven’t read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been stated: what about the blank panels that Selig has introduced. You can write on those and use a different color for Verse, Chorus, Bridge, etc.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

deepndark

22 Jun 2018

Just read a post above yours. This would be what I'd want.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
deepndark wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Fold/Unfold lyrics in Reason anyone? Maybe a shortcut key could show them up, where the Rack is?
Maybe a way to draw text clips into sequencer and we'd have a karaokeish way to view lyrics?

EDIT, Maybe two different text lines in different colors, separated by line.
Haven’t read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been stated: what about the blank panels that Selig has introduced. You can write on those and use a different color for Verse, Chorus, Bridge, etc.
ReMark, as “remarkable” as it is, was never intended to keep full notes or lyrics, as the SDK is clunky at best in this regard IMO.

What would be nice, and maybe other DAWs already do this, would be full text I/O support in addition to full text sync to timeline. I/O would allow printing lyric sheets, exporting lyrics to co-writers that may or may not use Reason, importing existing lyrics or lyrics written by collaborators, etc.

Display options should include in the time line (karaoke style), lyric sheet, or sheet music (another request). Ideally you should drag words to their locations on the time line, or use MIDI tracks to define word placement, or even input bar/beat data for each word.

But I’d be happy for simple lyric support, which is probably the best we could expect from Reason! ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

22 Jun 2018

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2018
And forgive any ignorance here.. I'm not sure what you guys mean by turning Reason into a karaoke machine.
Since when's a notepad a karaoke machine?That's not what I'm suggesting anyway.

Don't think opening another software is any argument at all. For a start, you might not be running an OS that has a notepad nor have MS Office to open Word if it worked on that OS system anyway.

I wish Propellerhead would just implement one if only to stop silly arguments on threads like these from cropping up.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

sublunar

22 Jun 2018

I find it surprising that anyone thinks this is a ridiculous request. This would be literally the simplest request of all. Just a little notepad inside of Reason.

Have you people really never needed/wanted some notes to go along with your project?
ravisoni wrote:
22 Jun 2018
Then there are others like us who are producers, lyricists, singers ourselves (crappy ones like me or brilliant ones like many on this forum). For us, it would be much simpler to have the songs self contained because we are literally churning out 1-3 ideas per day when we are in the zone.
THIS SO MUCH. I mean come on. Am I to understand that a lot of you guys aren't writing music for your own project and are instead writing for others?

As it is, I have to maintain a separate folder of text documents that get clumsily updated and are hard to keep track of. I would love to just have a simple text window inside reason for lyrics/notes/etc. Everything in once place. Yes, please.
ravisoni wrote:
22 Jun 2018
I've got all these and they don't really work very well for this purpose. Not when you're still in the writing process, at least.

There are lots of more important features that Reason sorely needs, yes. But this would be pretty nice and super easy to add.

guitfnky

22 Jun 2018

the more I think about this, the more useful I think I’d find it. I looked at some of the plentiful notebooks I keep by my desk, and they’re peppered with notes for stuff I’ve been doing in Reason, though most, I couldn’t tell you what project they’re tied to. this would solve that easily.

and yeah, for lyrics, it would be super helpful too. like I said earlier, I usually use pad and paper for that, but I also end up with like 5 or 6 pages scribbled out as I make changes. even if I still used a notepad when performing them (I probably would), I could save some trees by doing my revisions in the project itself.

and yeah, it should be super easy to implement. if they ever do though, I imagine Props will find a really smart, useful way to do it.

ravisoni

23 Jun 2018

guitfnky wrote:
22 Jun 2018
the more I think about this, the more useful I think I’d find it
Precisely, and funnily enough, of all the workflow improvement threads that have been going on, I currently do not "need" a single thing that's been requested by others (though admittedly, I can see how some of those would be nice additions) -- this, however, would really make Reason even more ITB for me. And not just for lyrics but all kinds of note-taking (especially useful while mixing).
guitfnky wrote:
22 Jun 2018
and yeah, it should be super easy to implement. if they ever do though, I imagine Props will find a really smart, useful way to do it.
Though I reckon they might as well release a simple version now and make it forwards compatible when they do make those smart, useful improvements.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

jlgrimes

25 Jun 2018

This would be nice for lyric writers.

What would be cooler is if we had something like Siri that could convert recorded speech to text. Probably adds some bulk to the program though, but could save alot of time.

deepndark

26 Jun 2018

I also have been using pen/paper, but sometimes when I want to find something I have written many years ago, I may have hard time to find them quickly. By the way, if my songs would have this feature, I could learn my own lyrics or also let my studio guests sing along. As after 150 or so songs later, I barely can remember one of the lyrics in a whole.

• Information