Heeeelp! Editing in sequencer!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

18 Jun 2018

This drives me crazy...i want to edit notes and automation lines while a loop is playing. Everytime i switch between the notes and the automation, the sequencer jumps wild around. How can i stop this!?

Another incredible anyoing thing is, if i have loooong note in the view, look at the start and i want to adjust the position with the toolbar, it jumps to the center of the note and i cannot see the start position. I mean WTF?! How can i stop this?

I actually lost 80% of my time on editing because of this sh!t. I hate programs that want to be smart and are just NOT smart.

Any help is appreciated!
Reason12, Win10

Southgate

18 Jun 2018

Press F on your computer keyboard and it should stop (Following the song). It's also in the Options menu about half way down.

Hope that's the solution...

S

demt

18 Jun 2018

also using the sequencer to loop allso all sorts of strange behaviour
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Loque

18 Jun 2018

Southgate wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Press F on your computer keyboard and it should stop (Following the song). It's also in the Options menu about half way down.

Hope that's the solution...

S
Thx. This stopped Reason from jumping around while i change the note position. But if i switch between automation and notes, it happily jumps around - this time not the song position, but rather the last selected note. Oh dear...this is so anyoing, beside a lot of other stuff while editing... :roll:

Never mind. Thx for your help.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
18 Jun 2018
This drives me crazy...i want to edit notes and automation lines while a loop is playing. Everytime i switch between the notes and the automation, the sequencer jumps wild around. How can i stop this!?

Another incredible anyoing thing is, if i have loooong note in the view, look at the start and i want to adjust the position with the toolbar, it jumps to the center of the note and i cannot see the start position. I mean WTF?! How can i stop this?

I actually lost 80% of my time on editing because of this sh!t. I hate programs that want to be smart and are just NOT smart.

Any help is appreciated!
I find all of these things super annoying, so I feel your pain here!

I'm not sure how stuff like this gets overlooked for year after year… :(

One thing I really miss from Pro Tools, and is so simple but I used it all the time, is the ability to jump to the beginning or end of any selection. So if you're zoomed into a really long note and want trim the start (but are zoomed to the middle) a quick key takes you there. Then you want to adjust the end, another key takes you there. That way you can stay zoomed at your current level and just edit.

Also kills me you have so many "clicks" to do simple things. To trim the start/end of a note you first have to select that note, then trim it, then select another note, then trim it. In Pro Tools (and other DAWs) there are "smart tools" that change to trimmers when you hover over the start/end of a note/clip, and selectors when you are in the center (and you can do similar things with the fade in/out on clips), which means you just edit without having to select first. The result is 50% fewer clicks - that means you work TWICE as fast.

Sorry, sometimes I can't NOT rant on theses small but important things. And yea, that "sequencer jumping around" when you switch views is also super annoying. Can't imagine how it's "OK" with the Props - just looks sloppy IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

theshoemaker

18 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Loque wrote:
18 Jun 2018

Any help is appreciated!

One thing I really miss from Pro Tools, and is so simple but I used it all the time, is the ability to jump to the beginning or end of any selection. So if you're zoomed into a really long note and want trim the start (but are zoomed to the middle) a quick key takes you there. Then you want to adjust the end, another key takes you there. That way you can stay zoomed at your current level and just edit.

Also kills me you have so many "clicks" to do simple things. To trim the start/end of a note you first have to select that note, then trim it, then select another note, then trim it. In Pro Tools (and other DAWs) there are "smart tools" that change to trimmers when you hover over the start/end of a note/clip, and selectors when you are in the center (and you can do similar things with the fade in/out on clips), which means you just edit without having to select first. The result is 50% fewer clicks - that means you work TWICE as fast.

Sorry, sometimes I can't NOT rant on theses small but important things. And yea, that "sequencer jumping around" when you switch views is also super annoying. Can't imagine how it's "OK" with the Props - just looks sloppy IMO.
The sequencer is one of the main reasons killing my flow... Super fiddly. I just switch to Gadget on the iPad when I want to layout a song :roll:
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Loque

18 Jun 2018

Man..."F" does not really help. I noticed, i already disabled it since a long time, because it made the sequencer even more jumping.

Seriously! I like Reason and the rack, but the sequence, sample editing and slicing is a PITA! So many cool unique features and the simple stuff is so hard to work with. I already stopped dreaming of cool editing features, i would be pleased to get the simple stuff. Yea, trimming down an automation curve is incredible hard (lol!), still no curves and where the hell do i disable the view of all those automation lanes? Guess i need to go back to RTFM and hopefully find something in there.
Reason12, Win10

jlgrimes

18 Jun 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
18 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
18 Jun 2018

The sequencer is one of the main reasons killing my flow... Super fiddly. I just switch to Gadget on the iPad when I want to layout a song :roll:
The sequencer has never gotten alot of love.

Its last big update was v4 2007.

Everything since then was more smaller features.

Certain aspects of the program is clunky.

1. You can't freely drag resize tracks like in most DAWS. All tracks must be same size. This would be good for mixer as well.

2. Slice view doesn't allow full vertical zoom.

3. No track inspector.

4. No markers.

5. Certain aspects of drawing automation is clunky. No good tools for this.

6. No freeze.

7. No track manager. To hide/archive tracks.

8. Limited Keybindings for snap resolution.

9. Limited snap options.

10. No way to do clip effects.

11. Mute clips work but you can't mute notes.

Some of these features would go a long way of making workflow better.

ejanuska

25 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Man..."F" does not really help. I noticed, i already disabled it since a long time, because it made the sequencer even more jumping.

Seriously! I like Reason and the rack, but the sequence, sample editing and slicing is a PITA! So many cool unique features and the simple stuff is so hard to work with. I already stopped dreaming of cool editing features, i would be pleased to get the simple stuff. Yea, trimming down an automation curve is incredible hard (lol!), still no curves and where the hell do i disable the view of all those automation lanes? Guess i need to go back to RTFM and hopefully find something in there.
Yeah, when they fix it I'll upgrade from v9.whatever.
More synths and drum sequencers are not where the focus should be.

• Information