Kong Remote Override Mapping

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
strangers
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2018

Is it possible to do this per Kong pad? For whatever reason, my midi controller does not auto assign it's 8 pads to any of Kong's pads. I can live with finger-tapping keys but using the pads would be much more efficient. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something simple to make this happen. It's just not as obvious as every other feature being as simple as a right click and selecting remove override mapping.

Any help would be appreciated.

ljekio

17 Jun 2018

What your controller?
You can assign pads as notes C1-D#2 by default.

strangers
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2018

ljekio wrote:
17 Jun 2018
What your controller?
I'm using an M-Audio Axiom midi keyboard. Where do you find the ability to assign the pads? The keys auto assign to Kong's pads but I'm looking to assign the Axiom's 8 pads to 8 of Kong's pads.

Quiloc Lim

19 Jun 2018

I've always had the same problem. I currently have a Korg nanokey studio & I'm ignorant as to how to get the pads assigned to pads on a Kong. I've just given up at this point. If there were a clever person on the forum that's been able to assign pads on a controller to Kong, I'd appreciate that information.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

20 Jun 2018

You can not assign the pads on Kong to a controller directly, but there is a workaround.

You can connect CV Out's from a Redrum to trigger the pads on a Kong and then assign the triggers on the Redrum via Remote Override Edit Mode to a MIDI controller with pads.

Below two pictures with a example where the Kong pads will be triggered by pressing a button on a BCR2000 controller:
RedrumCVOutToKongCVIn.jpg
RedrumCVOutToKongCVIn.jpg (210.88 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
AssignRemoteOverride.jpg
AssignRemoteOverride.jpg (189.82 KiB) Viewed 2773 times

kuhliloach

20 Jun 2018

I agree with this post. KONG pads should have a basic MIDI learn function. I find it disgraceful that Reason has received so many add-ons and upgrades without this basic functionality being addressed.

strangers
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Maybe this isn't a popular feature, which surprises me. Wouldn't mind submitting this as a feature request. Really doesn't seem unreasonable or too daunting of a task. Nearly everything else has a simple learn function. This would really be a nice addition.
Oenkenstein wrote:
20 Jun 2018
You can not assign the pads on Kong to a controller directly, but there is a workaround.

You can connect CV Out's from a Redrum to trigger the pads on a Kong and then assign the triggers on the Redrum via Remote Override Edit Mode to a MIDI controller with pads.

Below two pictures with a example where the Kong pads will be triggered by pressing a button on a BCR2000 controller:
Thanks for posting this. Im glad there's some kind of workaround even though it's a little much. Is this something that can be saved or do I have to set it up every time?

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

24 Jun 2018

strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Oenkenstein wrote:
20 Jun 2018

Thanks for posting this. Im glad there's some kind of workaround even though it's a little much. Is this something that can be saved or do I have to set it up every time?
Once you have connected the CV connections, you can combine Kong and the two Redrum devices and save the Combinator patch. The changes made for the controller with Remote Override Edit Mode on the Redrum's should be saved in a Reason song file, which can be used as a template song.

Nielsen

20 Aug 2018

Oenkenstein wrote:
20 Jun 2018
I'm helping a friend, who is new to Reason, making the Kong triggers work with the drum pads on his controller, but what Redrum trigger is being referred to here? I have routed the CV gates between Kong and Redrum, but the triggers on top of every Redrum channel does not have the "edit remote override mapping" function showing up when right clicking. Am I reaching for the wrong thing?

Edit: Got it now... I forgot to enter the editing mode found under the options tab. :oops:

Thanks for sharing the workaround.

demt

21 Aug 2018

tfp pro does it may be on mackie though
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2018

strangers wrote:
19 Jun 2018
ljekio wrote:
17 Jun 2018
What your controller?
I'm using an M-Audio Axiom midi keyboard. Where do you find the ability to assign the pads? The keys auto assign to Kong's pads but I'm looking to assign the Axiom's 8 pads to 8 of Kong's pads.
Surly you can do that from Axiom's it self.. Maybe you need to reset it as it's my understanding that it should be mapped.

What key is the pad playing?

Hit Pad1 then Edit (Advanced), Data1 and set the pad to 36

Is this a 1st or 2nd Gen and what model of Axiom is it.

EDIT: Just realised people are replying to an old post...

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https;//www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsAKuzl-M6p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

strangers
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Aug 2018
strangers wrote:
19 Jun 2018

Surly you can do that from Axiom's it self.. Maybe you need to reset it as it's my understanding that it should be mapped.

What key is the pad playing?

Hit Pad1 then Edit (Advanced), Data1 and set the pad to 36

Is this a 1st or 2nd Gen and what model of Axiom is it.

EDIT: Just realised people are replying to an old post...

M-Audio Axiom 25. It's the current model so I'll take a wild guess and say that's 2nd gen? The pads don't play any keys at all within Reason. The pads auto map and work perfectly fine if I run any other DAW or standalone VST such as EzDrummer 2.

huggermugger

25 Nov 2021

Oenkenstein wrote:
20 Jun 2018

RedrumCVOutToKongCVIn.jpg

AssignRemoteOverride.jpg
I've set this up, and the Remote Override works fine in terms of mapping pads to Kong sounds via Redrum. However, I can't record them into a track. I can play them, but the Remote Override seems to interfere with the pad's note event reaching an armed track. Once assigned by Remote Override, it ceases to be recordable.

fullforce

25 Nov 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Jun 2018
I agree with this post. KONG pads should have a basic MIDI learn function. I find it disgraceful that Reason has received so many add-ons and upgrades without this basic functionality being addressed.
Pretty much, doesn't work with an M-Audio Oxygen either. Those pads are hard coded to specific notes.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information