Threshold activated recording

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mkdsl

17 Jun 2018

Is it possible? Need a track to start recording audio when there's a signal present on the inputs

jlgrimes

17 Jun 2018

mkdsl wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Is it possible? Need a track to start recording audio when there's a signal present on the inputs
Can't remember if the sample feature does this.

ejanuska

25 Jun 2018

Maschine does that.
Just sayin'

normen

25 Jun 2018

You could use a virtual MIDI connection to send a CV signal from a compressor type plugin through an EMI out via MIDI and then send that MIDI signal back in via a Generic MIDI device and assign that signal to the record button.

But whats the actual thing you want to do? I mean you have to turn it off somehow as well right?

jimmyklane

25 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
25 Jun 2018
You could use a virtual MIDI connection to send a CV signal from a compressor type plugin through an EMI out via MIDI and then send that MIDI signal back in via a Generic MIDI device and assign that signal to the record button.

But whats the actual thing you want to do? I mean you have to turn it off somehow as well right?
Damn dude, that’s some deep knowledge!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Exowildebeest

25 Jun 2018

There's probably an app for that.

Within Reason, what Normen says - quite a convoluted setup.

ravisoni

25 Jun 2018

This is more of a question than an answer that normen, Carly or other MIDI/routing experts can add to.
Would it not be possible to:
1) Take the audio track's Audio Out and in to Thor's Audio In 1 (Thor as audio receiver)
2) In Thor's mod matrix Send Audio In 1 100% to CV Out 1 (Thor as Audio to CV converter)
3) Send a cable from Thor's CV Out 1 to CV in of the EMI (Thor as CV transmitter, EMI as CV receiver)
4) Activate a midi note based on the CV value that's received in the EMI and use the keyboard control mapping or remote override to activate the record button?

The problem I'm facing is I have no knowledge of CV assignment (or what those buttons and knob do in the EMI). Or is this expecting a bit too much more of the EMI than it is capable of?

Speaking of this, now I'm also thinking about how I could use incoming audio, split it up based on frequencies, and route bass frequencies to trigger a certain cv (and thus a midi that gets triggered by say 0-63 CV range input), assign that midi note to kong. Ergo, say I have a single wav for tracked drums containing both the kick and the snare. I don't like how the kick sounds and want to replace it with my own kick. So I'd first split and take the bass frequency from the audio file, route that to Thor to convert audio to CV, convert it to midi in the EMI and use that midi to trigger a Kong pad, which would then get written to sequencer (and thus the need for CV to midi first). Would the EMI be able to accept a range of CV values and convert it to midi? Or do I need a virtual midi instrument first to show up in the EMI?
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

normen

26 Jun 2018

Yeah exactly, thats basically what I mean but you're missing the virtual MIDI port in the system to get that signal back to the record button. I think there is no other way to press those except from an external MIDI controller.

• Information