MIDI to DMX

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

16 Jun 2018

I fancy doing some midi controlled stage lighting from within Reason.
I haven't seen any recent developments in this area and what i have seen seems to be quite old and industrial stuff that is usually unavailable, for example the DecaBox MIDI to DMX Converter.
Does anyone know of a midi>dmx bridge that does a decent job of converting the signal? I have a midiman midisport so I could include that in the chain if I have to but I'd rather just have a DMX controller with a usb port on it that I can control from Reason's midi out.
Any ideas?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

normen

16 Jun 2018

I'd rather stay in software with the whole "conversion" bit and then get an ArtNet to DMX converter. So you'd use your laptops network output to connect to the lights.

pushedbutton

18 Jun 2018

Cool, so which kit would you recommend? There seems to be some cheap options and some not so cheap options.
I'd rather have a DMX controller that I can manually override but I can pass a signal through from the PC. My bosses get a little jumpy when I talk about flashing lights, not that photosensitive epilepsy is all that common, but having a killswitch would help alleviate some concerns.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

normen

18 Jun 2018

MagicQ would be a complete lighting software for the software in-betweens, maybe a bit overblown for this though - there might be a simpler MIDI to ArtNet bridge out there. As for the Network-to-DMX - theres also relatively cheap USB DMX interfaces that work with that MagicQ software (they work like a dongle to unlock more software features as well). Can't really recommend or warn about any specific devices in the "consumer" range there though.

• Information