Routing D16's Drumazon outputs for channels recording

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sunsiare

13 Jun 2018

Hello All,

I have just purchased D16's Drumazon (and just upgraded from Reason 9 to 10 by the way :mrgreen: ) and I'm now trying to route all the outputs into Reason in order to be able to record / mix each channels independently but I have been scratched my head for a while now regarding two things:

First, I can only find 8 (mono) out where (in this case) I need 11. The only solution I have found is to group CH/HH but it's not very useful as I can't really mix / pan / FX these different channels. Is there a solution? I have been trying for a few hours now...

Second, how do I records and sequence all the sound I get from these mix channels? I remember that is possible to create an audio track and route the mix channel into it but I'm not really sure now

Thanks in advance for your help,

SSR

chimp_spanner

13 Jun 2018

To “print” mix channels to audio, you just have to enable “rec source” for each one. It can be found just under the output assignment in rack view. Then each mix channel will show up as an input for audio channels.

Now to get around output limitations, what I would do is treat each stereo pair as two mono channels. So in your plugin send kick and snare to 1/2, then pan kick left and snare right. Two outputs for the price of one! From there, shift+drag from 1/2 left to a mix channel (this will prevent automatic stereo routing) and then do the same for the right channel to a second mix channel. Repeat for up to 16 mono channels, or any combination of mono and stereo.

Sunsiare

13 Jun 2018

Hey ! Thank You for your reply!
chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Jun 2018
To “print” mix channels to audio, you just have to enable “rec source” for each one. It can be found just under the output assignment in rack view. Then each mix channel will show up as an input for audio channels.
Ha yes! Thanks, I didn't see that thing.
chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Jun 2018
Now to get around output limitations, what I would do is treat each stereo pair as two mono channels. So in your plugin send kick and snare to 1/2, then pan kick left and snare right. Two outputs for the price of one! From there, shift+drag from 1/2 left to a mix channel (this will prevent automatic stereo routing) and then do the same for the right channel to a second mix channel. Repeat for up to 16 mono channels, or any combination of mono and stereo.
I'm still having some issue with that one. The thing is that when Drumazon's kick is on 1, on Reason 1 = the pair 1+2, if I choose Snare on 2, it'll be on the pair 3+4 on Reason, so at the end I'm still having 8 pairs / channels. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again

chimp_spanner

13 Jun 2018

Yeah so you need to look at 1/2 or left and right as channels 1&2. So for example, when I’m mixing acoustic kits with lots of different mics I might do something like this:

Kick In: 1/2 panned left
Kick Out: 1/2 panned right
Snare Top: 3/4 panned left
Snare Bottom: 3/4 panned right
Hats: 5/6 panned left
Tom 1: 5/6 panned right
Tom 2: 7/8 panned left
Tom 3: 7/8 panned right

Etc. Etc.

So I’m getting two mono channels out of each stereo pair. The important thing is to remember the panning, and to shift drag each half of the stereo pair to the mono/L input of each mix channel.

Hope this makes sense!

jimmyklane

13 Jun 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Jun 2018

This is exactly correct, and is what I do with Maschine. Just be sure you’re not working with a stereo source sound. Dramazon is an 808 or 909 simulator, isn’t it? All sounds should be in mono if authentic.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Sunsiare

27 Jun 2018

Yep! All is working now, Thanks a lot for your help!

• Information