New CPU gives worse performance.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

I’m a bit confused. I had an old Intel i5 2.67GHz processor with 8GB DDR2 RAM. Reason 9.5 worked just fine whatever I threw at it. The pc broke so I bought a new one with a new i5 3.0 GHz processor and 8GB DDR3 RAM. Now Reason 10 is crackling and popping and saying the pc is too slow. I’ve turned in and off hyperthreading and multicore rendering but no difference. Scrolling the rack up and down makes the DSP meter go through the roof. I’m sad. Any ideas?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

I should maybe also add that the old CPU benchmarked at 3.7 and the new one benchmarks at 7.4. Confusing.

Also I don’t have that much stuff going on. A Kong plus drum sequencer, Nautilus playing 2 notes, a run combinator, an ABL3 and a Grain with a little bit of automation. As soon as I throw in an Antidote the whole thing breaks down.
Last edited by MrFigg on 12 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

drloop

12 Jun 2018

Sit down and take deep breath. Most likely you need to turn off powersaving features in Windows.
You don’t have hyperthreading in your processor so it does not really matter if you turn it off or on.
Turn on multicore rendering, you need this.

Follow the instructions here and your PCs performance will be better.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Sit down and take deep breath. Most likely you need to turn off powersaving features in Windows.
You don’t have hyperthreading in your processor so it does not really matter if you turn it off or on.

Thanks :):):). I’ll try that and report my findings. Thanks again :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

normen

12 Jun 2018

Try installing the graphics drivers of the graphics card vendors home page (e.g. NVIDIA), not from windows update.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2018
drloop wrote:
12 Jun 2018

Thanks :):):). I’ll try that and report my findings. Thanks again :).
Ok tried that. Bit better but the most I can have is 5 Europas with a Matrix on each. As soon as I scroll it glitches. Is 5 Europas too many for that CPU?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Try installing the graphics drivers of the graphics card vendors home page (e.g. NVIDIA), not from windows update.
Thanks. I’ve done that for all my drivers. They are onboard so no separate card.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

12 Jun 2018

ASIO driver?
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2018
ASIO driver?
Balance
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

drloop

12 Jun 2018

For your information so can I run the demosong Carlstrom - Airplane on my 8 years old laptop with a i3 M330 processor at 44,1kHz and 256samples buffer without any problem, even scroll the rack and no glitches.

I have optimized according to Antelopes insructions.

I do recommend you to turn on antivirus/firewall again and focourse windows update.

jimmyklane

12 Jun 2018

I’ve got an older i5 (admittedly OCed to 4.4GHz) machine as my secondary computer and I’ve got no problems running multiple instances of my distributor patch (distributor, 8 Europas, a 14:2 mixed, and a custom convolution impulse)....are you on Windows 10? I’ve noticed that the same computer on Win7 vs. Win10 gives a performance edge to Win7. I have no idea why this is (on my own system) all I know is that I upgraded and almost immediately downgraded back to Win7.

Are you using the system (mobo) graphics, or do you have a proper video card? As far as I know, Reason doesn’t use the card at all buy allocates a complete processor core to graphics. What is that 4th core doing? Is it maxing out?

Optimizing for audio is absolutely necessary with Reason because it is no longer the lean mean machine it once was.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

Cheers all for the input. Yeah I had windows 7 before and now Windows 10 so it’s maybe that. And yes onboard graphics. I’ve followed all the optimization instructions but no great improvement :(.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

drloop

12 Jun 2018

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Cheers all for the input. Yeah I had windows 7 before and now Windows 10 so it’s maybe that. And yes onboard graphics. I’ve followed all the optimization instructions but no great improvement :(.
Every computer I have optimized according to Antelope incstructions have been great after optimization. Did you do the recommended BIOS changes?
Try to turn off your WIFI, on W7 I had problems with that. BNow on W10 I can have my WIFI on without any problem

W10 is no problem at all.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
12 Jun 2018
MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Every computer I have optimized according to Antelope incstructions have been great after optimization. Did you do the recommended BIOS changes?
Try to turn off your WIFI, on W7 I had problems with that. BNow on W10 I can have my WIFI on without any problem

W10 is no problem at all.
Hmm. I don’t have WiFi. I’ve done all the opt. except the BIOS ones. Don’t really want to start mucking about there. This is really bugging me though. But thanks. Appreciate the suggestions.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

drloop

12 Jun 2018

Really important things to change.
USB power saving off!
CPU on full throttle no powersaving at all
Optimize Windows for backgruond service.

Have you done all these things then it is BIOS you have to do...

Download this and run on your computer. You will get some suggestions whats wrong.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

normen

12 Jun 2018

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Hmm. I don’t have WiFi. I’ve done all the opt. except the BIOS ones. Don’t really want to start mucking about there. This is really bugging me though. But thanks. Appreciate the suggestions.
I guess you'll have to, it sounds very much like you have an interrupt conflict or something like that. Also get a DPC latency monitor so you see what hardware is causing the interrupts.

Thats the thing, you either pay a bit more and get it preconfigured properly or you pay as few as possible on only the hardware and put the brain and elbow grease in yourself :)

drloop

12 Jun 2018

This will give you a step by step instruction.

This makes my computer run low latency like 64 or 128 samples until I start mixing which I do at 256.
Without the tweaks I usually cannot run at 64 samples at all. And I cant run my computer at maximum CPU load at all without terrible crackilng noises. So it is worth the work to optimize, for sure!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

Brilliant!! Thanks folks for the help. I’ll get laid into the BIOS tomorrow...see you in the computer repair shop on Friday :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
12 Jun 2018
This will give you a step by step instruction.

This makes my computer run low latency like 64 or 128 samples until I start mixing which I do at 256.
Without the tweaks I usually cannot run at 64 samples at all. And I cant run my computer at maximum CPU load at all without terrible crackilng noises. So it is worth the work to optimize, for sure!
Awesome video man. Thank you :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

danc

12 Jun 2018

Another great step by step guide is available from Focusrite.com - they should know a thing or two about optimising PCs as they make great audio interfaces... https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

I followed this guide and it really has improved things. I see this was mentioned earlier in the thread... however... for those with Windows 7....
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... -Windows-7 and they do a video for W7...
Check my Soundcloud:

abeonis

13 Jun 2018

A lot of great recommendations here. I would suggest that before anything else, you check there is no ongoing Windows update. MicroSoft loves to run a lot of automatic programs in the background and one of the more CPU consuming is the Windows update system. As an example, if you just purchased a new PC, the system will automatically go through the update of the different changes occurred between the moment WIndows 10 was installed and the moment you start using it . So, go to "Windows Settings" and select "Update and Security" and check you are up to date. I do it every morning in an intent to control myself the update process.

Also, open the "Task manager" and check what are the CPU and/or memory consuming processes. From there you can google the name of the process and see what you can do.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2018

abeonis wrote:
13 Jun 2018
A lot of great recommendations here. I would suggest that before anything else, you check there is no ongoing Windows update. MicroSoft loves to run a lot of automatic programs in the background and one of the more CPU consuming is the Windows update system. As an example, if you just purchased a new PC, the system will automatically go through the update of the different changes occurred between the moment WIndows 10 was installed and the moment you start using it . So, go to "Windows Settings" and select "Update and Security" and check you are up to date. I do it every morning in an intent to control myself the update process.

Also, open the "Task manager" and check what are the CPU and/or memory consuming processes. From there you can google the name of the process and see what you can do.
Yeah. Thanks man. I agree a lot of helpful suggestions. I’m not a complete newbie with computers so I’ve already done a lot of the stuff mentioned. The video above is also really good for stuff I didn’t know. I’ll keep plugging away but still can’t understand why I’m getting so bad performance. I guess it’s either Windows 10 instead of 7 or that Reason 10 is a bit more CPU needy. But said..I’ll keep going with the optimization’s :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

abeonis

13 Jun 2018

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2018
Yeah. Thanks man. I agree a lot of helpful suggestions. I’m not a complete newbie with computers so I’ve already done a lot of the stuff mentioned. The video above is also really good for stuff I didn’t know. I’ll keep plugging away but still can’t understand why I’m getting so bad performance. I guess it’s either Windows 10 instead of 7 or that Reason 10 is a bit more CPU needy. But said..I’ll keep going with the optimization’s :).
I am running Reason 9.5. Anyway, if you find a trick that is not yet documented and solve your problem, please let us know.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2018

abeonis wrote:
13 Jun 2018
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2018
I am running Reason 9.5. Anyway, if you find a trick that is not yet documented and solve your problem, please let us know.
Absolutely. I will. Reason 9.5 worked great for me in Windows 7 so we’ll see what happens. Seems like a lot of people don’t have any problems whatsoever so it must be something I’m not doing right.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information