New CPU gives worse performance.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
normen

17 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
normen wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Or just let the system do it's shit for a while after an update / new install. Maybe it's the same effect that causes the iOS uses to complain about high battery use after pretty much every update - because the system is rescanning it's databases etc.
Naaaaa, that was due to Apple throttling the CPU in iPhones when the batteries were getting of a "certain age". As well as Apple's traditionally poor performance optimization for older hardware (read: planned obsolescence of older iPhones/iPads to make the new hardware more attractive). :lol: :puf_wink:
Uhm.. I was also talking about new phones, right?

EnochLight

17 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018

Naaaaa, that was due to Apple throttling the CPU in iPhones when the batteries were getting of a "certain age". As well as Apple's traditionally poor performance optimization for older hardware (read: planned obsolescence of older iPhones/iPads to make the new hardware more attractive). :lol: :puf_wink:
Uhm.. I was also talking about new phones, right?
Phones and iPads, right? Since that's all iOS is on?
normen wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Maybe it's the same effect that causes the iOS uses to complain about high battery use after pretty much every update - because the system is rescanning it's databases etc.
I've never heard this complaint about new phones/iPads, though. It's mostly the older hardware people complain about iOS slowdowns.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

17 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
I don't know what you're about, I wasn't trying to say anything beyond what I wrote. There IS the effect that every iOS update causes users to complain about increased battery usage, independent of the age of the hardware. That is because of what I wrote - the system re-scans databases and stuff like that for a while after an update.

The thing you reference - Apple lowering the maximum processor speed of the phone when the battery is below a certain maximum capacity would result in increased battery LIFETIME, right? :geek:

EnochLight

17 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
I don't know what you're about, I wasn't trying to say anything beyond what I wrote. There IS the effect that every iOS update causes users to complain about increased battery usage, independent of the age of the hardware. That is because of what I wrote - the system re-scans databases and stuff like that for a while after an update.
I interpreted what you said as "users report iOS devices as being slow after iOS updates because of [the system re-scans databases and stuff like that ]". I was merely pointing out that from what I understand (and from personal experience, as I've owned every iPhone since they were released over a decade ago), that users generally only report slowdowns on older hardware. I've never had a current gen iPhone feel slow from an iOS update, not noticeably anyway. And as for older gen devices slowing down from iOS updates, as opposed to system re-scan databases, it usually is because of:
normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
The thing you reference - Apple lowering the maximum processor speed of the phone when the battery is below a certain maximum capacity would result in increased battery LIFETIME, right? :geek:
It was widely publicized that Apple was throttling CPU on older devices for allegedly the reason you mentioned above - making them perform a lot slower. This was particularly more noticed as iOS updates appeared. The fact that Apple made no mention of this was a bit shady, but I digress... :D

I've never once read that iOS feels slow after an update due to the system re-scans databases and stuff like that.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

17 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018

I interpreted what you said as "users report iOS devices as being slow after iOS updates because of [the system re-scans databases and stuff like that ]". I was merely pointing out that from what I understand (and from personal experience, as I've owned every iPhone since they were released over a decade ago), that users generally only report slowdowns on older hardware. I've never had a current gen iPhone feel slow from an iOS update, not noticeably anyway. And as for older gen devices slowing down from iOS updates, as opposed to system re-scan databases, it usually is because of:
normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
It was widely publicized that Apple was throttling CPU on older devices for allegedly the reason you mentioned above - making them perform a lot slower. This was particularly more noticed as iOS updates appeared. The fact that Apple made no mention of this was a bit shady, but I digress... :D

I've never once read that iOS feels slow after an update due to the system re-scans databases and stuff like that.
Well okay, so it's a misunderstanding. I was neither talking about slow phones nor about what Apple users annoys in general or the most. I was talking about battery usage after an update.

EnochLight

17 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Well okay, so it's a misunderstanding. I was neither talking about slow phones nor about what Apple users annoys in general or the most. I was talking about battery usage after an update.
Yes, a misunderstanding. I thought you were equating Windows updates with the trouble iOS users experience after an update. The two do not seem related...
normen wrote:
15 Jun 2018
drloop wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Its not a bad idea to look at the system resources when things go slow. An update or virus scan can kill a PC
Or just let the system do it's shit for a while after an update / new install. Maybe it's the same effect that causes the iOS uses to complain about high battery use after pretty much every update - because the system is rescanning it's databases etc.
Probably not the same, right?

normen

17 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Probably not the same, right?
Yes, the same, I'll explain in detail why.

So as I explained in my DSP video the DSP usage can be driven up without really having a high CPU load making the computer seem sloppy otherwise. But a maintenance process that has to access the disk for example can very well drive up the DSP load. Same with the phones - these processes don't hog the CPU so that you'd feel your phone is slow somehow. They just constantly use a bit of processing power so that the battery gets used up.

Do I make sense to you? I have slight feeling this exchange is just based on you either hating or wanting to troll the Apple fanboy in me but I honestly swear he had nothing to do with this post - it was an honest comparison. Friends? ;)

EnochLight

17 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Do I make sense to you? I have slight feeling this exchange is just based on you either hating or wanting to troll the Apple fanboy in me but I honestly swear he had nothing to do with this post - it was an honest comparison. Friends? ;)
LOL!!! No, no, no... I'm an Apple fanboy as well. No trolling intended - honest! I'm just miffed at Apple for all of the planned hardware obsolescence, and news of the hidden CPU underclocking - and now news that iOS 12 will improve performance up to 40% on older hardware - just sends the point home. Like I said, I've had every iPhone since release (well, except for the X - I got the 8 Plus instead because I didn't want to drop $1000 USD+), an Apple TV, and have had several MacBooks in the past.

But I honestly don't see a similarity in Windows updates when Apple did the above (at least not in the context of the OP and their new CPU/worse performance issue). To be frank, I think the crux of their issue was: they were on Windows 7, but switched to Windows 10 (which traditionally performs worse than 7 in almost everything, anyway). But I'm totally guessing. As we all are. And yes, friends! :)

normen

17 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
LOL!!! No, no, no... I'm an Apple fanboy as well. No trolling intended - honest! I'm just miffed at Apple for all of the planned hardware obsolescence, and news of the hidden CPU underclocking - and now news that iOS 12 will improve performance up to 40% on older hardware - just sends the point home. Like I said, I've had every iPhone since release (well, except for the X - I got the 8 Plus instead because I didn't want to drop $1000 USD+), an Apple TV, and have had several MacBooks in the past.

But I honestly don't see a similarity in Windows updates when Apple did the above (at least not in the context of the OP and their new CPU/worse performance issue). To be frank, I think the crux of their issue was: they were on Windows 7, but switched to Windows 10 (which traditionally performs worse than 7 in almost everything, anyway). But I'm totally guessing. As we all are. And yes, friends! :)
Yeah, since we're talking about it I lost a bit of faith in Apple as well post Jobs but by now theres a lot of things I again like. Like a more local and personal Siri compared to a centralized and Big Brother Alexa, a firm handle on AR which imo will be the next world changer when we all have Magic Leap glasses, really trying to care - within the limits of capitalism - to make a difference with nature and human resources, holding off development of new features because they saw they had an issue with software quality etc. I mean obviously I am not delusional about the fact that they're a company making money and wielding pretty dangerous power as well. But it could be worse with them swimming in exactly the same direction as most everybody else.

As for "power" for what I do - I think about 2009 was when I finally had no issues anymore getting mixes in the box finished without crackles ;) I completely see that other workflows have other requirements but I guess a current mid-tier Mac is simply "good enough" for me. I have no need to spend days in configuring a PC to peak performance or to find out what the last OS update did that steals the last 10% of DSP I always need for my projects.

Last time I had an issue like OP was when iCloud drive for some reason went bonkers and constantly accessed the HD - had to disable it and re-download 60GB of data. But fuck me was it annoying that the computer just simply didn't want to play my mixes anymore without stopping. But really after spending that hour finding out what the issue was I again realized that spending that kind of time was pretty normal just a while ago - even on Windows it got better ;)

normen

17 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018

Btw I really think the fact that they're working on stability is the reason for the speed increase of the new iOS - the core team doing the OS isn't THAT big so when they're all going through the existing code finding issues they're also getting a lot of chances to improve the code in areas they'd normally not touch because they are functional.

EnochLight

17 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Btw I really think the fact that they're working on stability is the reason for the speed increase of the new iOS - the core team doing the OS isn't THAT big so when they're all going through the existing code finding issues they're also getting a lot of chances to improve the code in areas they'd normally not touch because they are functional.
Man.. kinda' reminds me of another software company we know of... :D ;) :lol: Really hoping the guys can deliver later this year.

antic604

18 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Man.. kinda' reminds me of another software company we know of... :D ;) :lol: Really hoping the guys can deliver later this year.
Are you telling me they've finally found the source code?! And someone who can read it?! :o

Matt van K

23 Jun 2018

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2018
I’m a bit confused. I had an old Intel i5 2.67GHz processor with 8GB DDR2 RAM. Reason 9.5 worked just fine whatever I threw at it. The pc broke so I bought a new one with a new i5 3.0 GHz processor and 8GB DDR3 RAM. Now Reason 10 is crackling and popping and saying the pc is too slow. I’ve turned in and off hyperthreading and multicore rendering but no difference. Scrolling the rack up and down makes the DSP meter go through the roof. I’m sad. Any ideas?
I take a look at the graphics setting. There are different types for performance if you play, watch movies etc...

miscend

22 Jul 2018

Did you eventually get it performing better than the old CPU?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2018

miscend wrote:
22 Jul 2018
Did you eventually get it performing better than the old CPU?
I did. Thanks. Got about 15 europas going at the same time on 128 latency without crackling. Don’t know what the problem was but all fine now. Thanks for asking :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

grueser3

24 Jul 2018

drloop wrote:
12 Jun 2018
This will give you a step by step instruction.

This makes my computer run low latency like 64 or 128 samples until I start mixing which I do at 256.
Without the tweaks I usually cannot run at 64 samples at all. And I cant run my computer at maximum CPU load at all without terrible crackilng noises. So it is worth the work to optimize, for sure!
Thanks for sharing 😊😊😊

• Information