is it wrong that scales and chords just got me all fruityloops ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sleep1979

07 Jun 2018

I can play some piano and some guitar , does this make it easier to songwrite or is it cheating ? after a few clicks and a load of some stings I was sounding all filmic and chite , who cares right ? but these new players especially the note echo and scales and chords are fun , do a lot of you ( players of instruments use them? ) or electronic boys /girls ( trying not putting people in boxes here lol )

SOMEONE COMPLAINED ABOUT THE TITLE REALLY COME ONE PEOPLE ?
Last edited by sleep1979 on 08 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

ravisoni

07 Jun 2018

Why would it be cheating? When composers hire a drummer or a sax artist to come play a piece for their track, is that cheating?
We've been given tools. We should use them in ways that is their most productive use for your purposes. Some have time to learn music theory, some have the motivation to learn theory, and others (like me) cba. At least not yet. Sure, it helps tons when you are proficient with chords and scales and keys, but you'll also find threads from the past where even those with music knowhow have gotten some creative use out of players. Just treat them as tools towards your end goal. If they help you do something you weren't in the past, even better, no? :)
:reason: Reason 10 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

sleep1979

07 Jun 2018

ravisoni wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Why would it be cheating? When composers hire a drummer or a sax artist to come play a piece for their track, is that cheating?
We've been given tools. We should use them in ways that is their most productive use for your purposes. Some have time to learn music theory, some have the motivation to learn theory, and others (like me) cba. At least not yet. Sure, it helps tons when you are proficient with chords and scales and keys, but you'll also find threads from the past where even those with music knowhow have gotten some creative use out of players. Just treat them as tools towards your end goal. If they help you do something you weren't in the past, even better, no? :)

yes oh yes

United South

07 Jun 2018

I'm pretty much taking out everything I like about Reason and finding a plugin to move to another DAW S1. I've just purchased this Scaler vsti and I'm really hyped about it. Scale and Chord vsti done right imo,along with the Chord track in Studio One 4 I'm good.

sleep1979

07 Jun 2018

United South wrote:
07 Jun 2018
I'm pretty much taking out everything I like about Reason and finding a plugin to move to another DAW S1. I've just purchased this Scaler vsti and I'm really hyped about it. Scale and Chord vsti done right imo,along with the Chord track in Studio One 4 I'm good.
i always come back to reason , cubase, logic , studio one , reason are the only daws i have ever liked , cant get to grips with pro tools , ableton fl studio , reaper etc , i have switched between them starting on cubase , never came to reason until they added audio , and i went back to cubase , now i'm back for good i just love the new reason ,

jimmyklane

07 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
07 Jun 2018
I can play some piano and some guitar , does this make it easier to songwrite or is it cheating ? after a few clicks and a load of some stings I was sounding all filmic and chite , who cares right ? but these new players especially the note echo and scales and chords are fun , do a lot of you ( players of instruments use them? ) or electronic boys /girls ( trying not putting people in boxes here lol )
Nope, not cheating at all! I started college as a music major....have a shelf full of theory books, and have a piano and a room full of synths. I still use scales and chords because it will give me results that I may not otherwise think to play by hand. The flat 9ths and open 6ths are especially fun....try automating it and you’ll get into really interesting chord patterns really quickly!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jimmyklane

07 Jun 2018

United South wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Learning scales, chords, and modes is good for the musical soul.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

djadalaide

07 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Its great.. It allows you to be someone else, almost.. Just pick a scale and be happy.

Ostermilk

08 Jun 2018

YES!!! Of course it's wrong!

Rowan Atkinson with a turkey on his head causing a similar uncommanded bodily reaction however, would be classed as inevitable and thus could be pardoned, if any real remorse was detected.

IOW, who are we to judge?

normen

08 Jun 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
08 Jun 2018

Rowan Atkinson with a turkey on his head causing a similar uncommanded bodily reaction however, would be classed as inevitable and thus could be pardoned, if any real remorse was detected.

Come on, there is no excuse. Especially as OP said he can't even do music properly and only fakes it - he's betraying people into thinking it's actual music done by him! He's a monster!

Public Notice: This post contains sarcasm, any statements made about existing people are completely fabricated.

Ostermilk

08 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Ostermilk wrote:
08 Jun 2018

Come on, there is no excuse. Especially as OP said he can't even do music properly and only fakes it - he's betraying people into thinking it's actual music done by him! He's a monster!

Public Notice: This post contains sarcasm, any statements made about existing people are completely fabricated.
Agreed!

Nobody should use this kind of magick. I carve each individual note out of fine wood, the proper way.

normen

08 Jun 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Agreed!

Nobody should use this kind of magick. I carve each individual note out of fine wood, the proper way.
Thats the spirit! One should hear YOU in the sines of your synth! You decide what a sine is! You decide what an octave is!

PortendingHonor

08 Jun 2018

I wouldn't be writing music of any importance right now without it. Best tool I've ever found in all of music-making! I'll write a whole album with just an oscillator and some fx if I can use Chords and Scales!

Can some one tell me, does Autotheory do anything that chords and scales doesn't? It came in the backline rig I bought during the sale last month, but it just seems like a more primitive version of chords and scales. Am I wrong?

Reasonable man

10 Jun 2018

Add 9's, Sus 4th's, major 6'ths etc etc these are missing but its no biggie ...these can always be edited in in the sequencer after send notes to track. But i dont think S&Ch can do these chord types in a live performance set up just now... but its better some times to just play chords with fingers for some types of music .

Ahornberg

10 Jun 2018

Am I cheating when I play on a piano that I haven't built myself?
Am I cheating when I use a DAW that I haven't coded myself?
Am I cheating when I use any other software to produce music?
I don't think so.

WillyOD

10 Jun 2018

I am the biggest tool in my arsenal ;)
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Gulale

10 Jun 2018

watch MG and tell me if it is wrong.
Gulale aka Bereket

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2018

WillyOD wrote:
10 Jun 2018
I am the biggest tool in my arsenal ;)
In that case I'm better equipped than many... :P

RobC

11 Jun 2018

Regarding the title:

*insert twitter teenager posting image about "eating Frootloops while playing with Fruitiloops" and being all "Haha" about it*

xD

RobC

11 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Ostermilk wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Agreed!

Thats the spirit! One should hear YOU in the sines of your synth! You decide what a sine is! You decide what an octave is!
So sarcastic ~

On a serious note, to add a thought: I would mess around with players, but like I said, I prefer going outside the boarders of space.

Here's a composition I made as a demo with other folks' patches. While not overly crazy, this isn't exactly perfect music theory taught chord category. Some would already call it "that's not composition, that's smashing keys on your keyboard".

PortendingHonor

13 Jun 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
10 Jun 2018
Add 9's, Sus 4th's, major 6'ths etc etc these are missing but its no biggie ...these can always be edited in in the sequencer after send notes to track. But i dont think S&Ch can do these chord types in a live performance set up just now... but its better some times to just play chords with fingers for some types of music .
While it easier to bounce and fix in the sequencer, if you manipulate what notes are in the scale and change the inversion, you can get just about any chord. Quite versatile in its simplicity.

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2018

Reasonable man wrote:Add 9's, Sus 4th's, major 6'ths etc etc these are missing but its no biggie ...these can always be edited in in the sequencer after send notes to track. But i dont think S&Ch can do these chord types in a live performance set up just now... but its better some times to just play chords with fingers for some types of music .
Yea, the missing sus4 type alone is a bit of a deal killer for me, or has anyone found a way to get those types?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

kitekrazy

14 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
07 Jun 2018

SOMEONE COMPLAINED ABOUT THE TITLE REALLY COME ONE PEOPLE ?
Even professionals do this. When music is required for media one can't take their time to produce music. DJs buy loop libraries.

chimp_spanner

15 Jun 2018

Absolutely nothing wrong with using theory assistants to inspire new ideas, regardless of whether or not you already know it. I've been doing music for...I guess most of my life (I'm 34 now) and I still chuck in a scales and chords from time to time if I'm feeling lazy or just interesting to see what comes out of it. And yeah as Kite said, if you're doing production or library music sometimes you just gotta work as fast as possible.

normen

15 Jun 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Absolutely nothing wrong with using theory assistants to inspire new ideas, regardless of whether or not you already know it. I've been doing music for...I guess most of my life (I'm 34 now) and I still chuck in a scales and chords from time to time if I'm feeling lazy or just interesting to see what comes out of it. And yeah as Kite said, if you're doing production or library music sometimes you just gotta work as fast as possible.
We could try the opposite and make instruments where the arrangement of the notes and harmony structures is deliberately set up in a confusing and hard to see/play way - not like a piano where all notes are in a row and you even get black and white keys to discern them :)

• Information