Questions about Dr Octo Rex and Recycle

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
twitchy_one

01 Jun 2018

Hey All,

I'm a bit of a Reason newb having only bought 9.5 last year, put it away for a bit, & then returned & upgraded to 10.1 recently. I had a few questions that I had last year that I never found a good answer for by Google, so I thought I'd try the forum & see.

I'm desiring to build my own beats & I have the tools to do that. I noticed the convenience of Dr Octo Rex to play the beats after the loops were setup & added via Rex2 format. However, in order to do that with your own music, you have to get Recycle.

If I already create my own beats/loops for my songs, is there any real practical use in converting them to REX format to use them in Dr Octo Rex? Or should I just skip using the Dr Octo Rex except when I'm buying & using REX2-supported loops from sample vendors?

The reason I ask is that I've recently started playing around with Reason's CV/Gate & discovered the overall usefulness of having the CV/Gate coming out of Octo Rex to modulate other instruments (through an audio-to-cv RE).

However, I wasn't sure if using Recycle to build my own sounds to modulate through Dr Octo Rex was very practical or if I could just do the same thing with another instrument without Recycle & thus save $99 cost. I'm just wondering if maybe Recycle is only for sound/beat designers & not really practical for putting your own songs into it for instance.

Thanks!

pushedbutton

01 Jun 2018

Well, you understand the issue well enough to make your own mind up.
You're not really missing anything, there's no secret to what Recycle does.
I have a copy of recycle and to be honest I never use it, but then I'm not you.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

twitchy_one

01 Jun 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Well, you understand the issue well enough to make your own mind up.
You're not really missing anything, there's no secret to what Recycle does.
I have a copy of recycle and to be honest I never use it, but then I'm not you.
That's my greatest fear: spend $99 on software I'll never use. :cry:
Maybe they'll have a sale on it later..Thanks.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

You can convert any audio track in Reason to REX, with fewer controls than ReCycle but works fine in most cases!
To do this, use the Slice Editor to make sure the slices are where you want them (add new slices, move or delete generated slices).
Then use the Bounce Clip to REX Loop command, load the loop into Dr Octa Rex and have fun!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

twitchy_one

01 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018
You can convert any audio track in Reason to REX, with fewer controls than ReCycle but works fine in most cases!
To do this, use the Slice Editor to make sure the slices are where you want them (add new slices, move or delete generated slices).
Then use the Bounce Clip to REX Loop command, load the loop into Dr Octa Rex and have fun!
:)
Thanks Selig! Much appreciated.

- Twitchy

groggy1

02 Jun 2018

Selig explained above that you can easily create a REX from your own beat, within Reason (no Recycle required!)

I'd add to that and say that it's VERY cool to convert your own beats into REX. Once it's in rex format, you can do a lot of cool things - Dr. Octorex:
1) Filter envelope triggered on each slice (creates a very cool effect)
2) Edit each slice (pan, volume, reverse, etc.)
3) Send notes to sequencer, and then manually re-arrange / mute individual slices

So I highly encourage you to try what OP proposed at the top of this thread: Convert your OWN beats to REX

jlgrimes

03 Jun 2018

twitchy_one wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Hey All,

I'm a bit of a Reason newb having only bought 9.5 last year, put it away for a bit, & then returned & upgraded to 10.1 recently. I had a few questions that I had last year that I never found a good answer for by Google, so I thought I'd try the forum & see.

I'm desiring to build my own beats & I have the tools to do that. I noticed the convenience of Dr Octo Rex to play the beats after the loops were setup & added via Rex2 format. However, in order to do that with your own music, you have to get Recycle.

If I already create my own beats/loops for my songs, is there any real practical use in converting them to REX format to use them in Dr Octo Rex? Or should I just skip using the Dr Octo Rex except when I'm buying & using REX2-supported loops from sample vendors?

The reason I ask is that I've recently started playing around with Reason's CV/Gate & discovered the overall usefulness of having the CV/Gate coming out of Octo Rex to modulate other instruments (through an audio-to-cv RE).

However, I wasn't sure if using Recycle to build my own sounds to modulate through Dr Octo Rex was very practical or if I could just do the same thing with another instrument without Recycle & thus save $99 cost. I'm just wondering if maybe Recycle is only for sound/beat designers & not really practical for putting your own songs into it for instance.

Thanks!

Recycle still gives you more control for creating/editing Rex files than Reason.

It has a better waveform view, more control over slices, tempo calculator, and some effects outside of simple chopping. I love the Recycle stretch parameter as it has a very unique sound.

That said I haven't used Recycle in a while.

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jun 2018

Sometimes when repeating a loop or changing it from 2 to 1 bar you might find out that the last slice of the bar is causing a flam with the first slice of the next bar. You can put polophony of Dr REX on 1 or change the slice (which I often do when it's a timing error).

• Information