Poll: How many hours per week do you use Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How many hours per week do you use Reason (on average)?

0-1
13%
1-2
8%
2-4
8%
4-6
8%
6-8
14%
8-10
8%
10-12
8%
12-15
6%
15-20
8%
20-25
6%
25-30
4%
35-40
3%
40+
6%

Total votes: 106
MannequinRaces

29 May 2018

Curious to see on average how many hours per week people are using Reason. I'm assuming the pros are at 40+ per week but am curious to see the amount of hours the 'average' hobbyist is putting in.

CephaloPod

30 May 2018

It varies a lot. I don't think I could come up with an average, and the standard deviation would be huge. I go weeks without touching it. Then I spend all weekend with it. Back in the day, before wife/kids/job, I'd probably do 30 hours/week when I was actively making music (versus goofing off, which is all I do now, and I split that time with Logic).
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

MannequinRaces

30 May 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
30 May 2018
It varies a lot. I don't think I could come up with an average, and the standard deviation would be huge. I go weeks without touching it. Then I spend all weekend with it. Back in the day, before wife/kids/job, I'd probably do 30 hours/week when I was actively making music (versus goofing off, which is all I do now, and I split that time with Logic).
Same here. My monthly usage varies based on a lot of factors but if I were to average it out would be about 2-4 hours per week. I sometimes go a week or so without firing up Reason and other weeks I'll do something in it every night.

madmacman

30 May 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
30 May 2018
I go weeks without touching it. Then I spend all weekend with it. Back in the day, before wife/kids/job,
Same here. I haven't switched on my hardware synth collection since February or so. And even if I voted for "1-2 hrs" the truth is currently closer to "0-1 hrs".

The usual changes in life: as a student I had plenty of time but no money. Now I don't have to think over spending money, but I don't have much time for making music. :D Mostly 2-3 full days during vacation.

Oquasec

30 May 2018

maybe 5 hours a week at most if I'm not doing something else
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 May 2018

Not enough :D

demt

30 May 2018

couple of hours daily is my goal
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jimmyklane

30 May 2018

Every day until 1pm is my own time to create music within Reason, and I take Wednesday’s off so that’s a full 12 hour day out into the program. When mixing others music, of course I’m in Reason, but that is work and I voted for the 15-20 hours I get to actually ENJOY my time with Reason at my own pace and direction

I actually own PT just so that I can take files from other studios and convert them for my use in Reason. When clients come by they are fascinated that it isn’t the same old PT interface. They often ask if there are musical parts that I can add or change and as long as the producer OKs it then I’m happy to do that. The unique nature of Reason has bought me more than a few return clients!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

MannequinRaces

30 May 2018

Thanks for the votes and replies everybody.

MannequinRaces

30 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018
The unique nature of Reason has bought me more than a few return clients!
Awesome! That's good to hear. What style of music do you normally work on?

Loque

30 May 2018

Interstng. From sometimes hobbiest, over hobbiest and regular users to full time (pro?) users everything is present. Good spreading of customers.
Reason12, Win10

jimmyklane

30 May 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
30 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018
The unique nature of Reason has bought me more than a few return clients!
For a very long time I was a commercial recording engineer, and did a lot of work in RnB, Gospel, and Hip Hop/Rap.... I still do mixing projects for long-term clientele from that past life. However, most of what I use Reason for now is either my own music (which is that 20 hours I voted for) and which is nowadays something you might call synthwave or similar.... or sound design and film scoring for independent films. I'm not a big player in the Hollywood scene, obviously, but I do work in the local Chicago market....TV, student films, independent releases that sort of thing.

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

MannequinRaces

30 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
30 May 2018

For a very long time I was a commercial recording engineer, and did a lot of work in RnB, Gospel, and Hip Hop/Rap.... I still do mixing projects for long-term clientele from that past life. However, most of what I use Reason for now is either my own music (which is that 20 hours I voted for) and which is nowadays something you might call synthwave or similar.... or sound design and film scoring for independent films. I'm not a big player in the Hollywood scene, obviously, but I do work in the local Chicago market....TV, student films, independent releases that sort of thing.
That’s awesome! I bet one of your feature requests in Reason is a video player so it’s easier to score to film. :)

jimmyklane

30 May 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
30 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018

That’s awesome! I bet one of your feature requests in Reason is a video player so it’s easier to score to film. :)
Yeah. My audio interface writes and reads SMPTE, so I’ve got a small monitor and a FireWire PCIe card dedicated to running tapes that I make from the digitalized “dailies” on old DV Standard Def....I don’t need accurate color or a super sharp view, just reliable real-time playback, which I use a Sony handicam for. Glamorous I know :-)....I simply stream the time code streams from Reason controlling tape transport and playback so I can compose to the frame. I’ll admit that I miss Nuendo sorely for this reason alone! However, as I’ve deleted the programs from my hard drive I’m a 100% Reason studio.

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 May 2018

Usually it gets directly proportional to the amount of rain on the outside, that means I'm off work/job/cycling around.
The more it rains, the more I get involved.
Standard deviation is huge, I could hit 40+ one 1/2 year ago, when I upgraded, now it's about 20+, but it's a busy time (and rainy).
New players got me back on many projects, I still have to count how many I would like to reshape...!
For weeks I've been doing close to 0-8, so maybe 25 is a good average, i dunno.

MannequinRaces

31 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018
Yeah. My audio interface writes and reads SMPTE, so I’ve got a small monitor and a FireWire PCIe card dedicated to running tapes that I make from the digitalized “dailies” on old DV Standard Def....I don’t need accurate color or a super sharp view, just reliable real-time playback, which I use a Sony handicam for. Glamorous I know :-)....I simply stream the time code streams from Reason controlling tape transport and playback so I can compose to the frame. I’ll admit that I miss Nuendo sorely for this reason alone! However, as I’ve deleted the programs from my hard drive I’m a 100% Reason studio.
That sounds like an absolute pain in the butt!

MannequinRaces

31 May 2018

Re8et wrote:
31 May 2018
Usually it gets directly proportional to the amount of rain on the outside, that means I'm off work/job/cycling around.
The more it rains, the more I get involved.
Standard deviation is huge, I could hit 40+ one 1/2 year ago, when I upgraded, now it's about 20+, but it's a busy time (and rainy).
New players got me back on many projects, I still have to count how many I would like to reshape...!
For weeks I've been doing close to 0-8, so maybe 25 is a good average, i dunno.
I know I'm more involved with Reason during the Fall / Winter. Makes sense that you would use it more the more it rains. Do you live in a place where it rains a lot?

jimmyklane

31 May 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
31 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018
That sounds like an absolute pain in the butt!
It certainly can be! From all the troubles I’ve had making my own “professional” videos, I don’t envy the guys that actually create the content I write to....but then again they aren’t trying to use Freeware!

motuscott

31 May 2018

What week?
Consistency is not on my iPhone's thesaurus.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MannequinRaces

31 May 2018

motuscott wrote:
31 May 2018
What week?
Consistency is not on my iPhone's thesaurus.
:) Pick your highest pick your lowest and average, lol.

ltbrunt00

31 May 2018

I will admit for the last 2 months I have been jumping between Reason and Studio One with a dash of bitwig. I always end up using reason due to being able to finish project infinitely faster and tight integration with native PH instruments and Rack extensions. I do over use all of Selig's Rack Extensions.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

motuscott

31 May 2018

Wait! I have to use math? I'm a musician not a veterinarian.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Reasonable man

31 May 2018

I'm still going through a massive production learning curve in Reason so most of my computer time is spent watching tutorials and trying to emmulate them! Im trying to build a sound and patch library ,learn alot of different styles (characteristics) . DIY synthesis and mixing techniques and im trying to now integegrate a panormaa p6 into that process!. Evertime i think i'm getting somewhere i log in here and someone has put together a patch , solved a complex problem or has routed/programmed a few intruments and effects together that blows my mind and then i go on 2 or three day tangents that take me away from what i originally intended to do.
I do end up saving alot of 4, 8, 16 bar ideas ... the only problem is that i know i may never get back to em.

MannequinRaces

01 Jun 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
31 May 2018
I do end up saving alot of 4, 8, 16 bar ideas ... the only problem is that i know i may never get back to em.
I have this problem and I hate it. I need more discipline to finish songs.

mreese80

01 Jun 2018

None. I love this daw still but i don't use at all no more. I'm in love with Akai Mpc Software more than ever again.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

• Information