The Most Realistic orchestral sound( bar vst) for reason .

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sleep1979

29 May 2018

i mean reason refills or rack extensions ?
can the people who know their stuff come out for this one please ?
i know its been done before this post , but i'm thinking of buying Euphonic strings its proper cheap now £29 quid
is there anything that's more realistic for reason ?
disregard vsts that cost hundreds here please as that's way outta my budget thanks ( unless there dirt cheap )
( i know the softphonics stuff doesn't really count any more either cheers )

jimmyklane

29 May 2018

The Reason Strings sound great. Lots of leeway to process how you want them.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

ltbrunt00

29 May 2018

StringWerk by E-instruments is by far the best string sounds in reason.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

29 May 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
29 May 2018
StringWerk by E-instruments is by far the best string sounds in reason.
That is best native format string instrument.

selig
RE Developer

29 May 2018

I absolutely love Euphonic strings for their spicatto samples alone. The rest are fine too, but I’ve not found a better spicatto [outside of Kontakt].

(maybe I should check out StringWerk?).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

esselfortium

29 May 2018

I own the Euphonic Strings refill and I think I've used it exactly one time, ever. There are weird phasing artifacts on many of the samples that give them an undesirably "synthy" artificial sound, and if you're writing legato melodies you generally need to drown them in reverb to get anything that sounds vaguely realistic.

I can't recommend the ProjectSAM RE either (it's very, very limited), and Miroslav is an antique from the days when RAM was hard to come by, so its contents are as wide as the ocean but as shallow as a puddle.

StringWerk is something of a one-trick pony (okay, a several-trick pony) but it's a pretty great-sounding several-trick pony and I use it very regularly.

Otherwise, though, I rely on Kontakt libraries for all my string, brass, and woodwind needs nowadays. Sampling an orchestra takes a lot of time and money, and it's hard to find something that will really be useful and expressive and great-sounding without having to spend a bit on it.
Last edited by esselfortium on 29 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

sleep1979

29 May 2018

How do they stack up to the vst u own selig? Do they sound very realistic? Apart from the real thing of course?

Oquasec

29 May 2018

Reason 8 & below users:
Get the exe version of kontakt or other library player (The regular way)
--------------------------------------
Reason 9+ users: load the plugin into the rack.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

selig
RE Developer

29 May 2018

sleep1979 wrote:How do they stack up to the vst u own selig? Do they sound very realistic? Apart from the real thing of course?
Before VSTs, I used Euphonic for spicatto (and maybe a few others), and a combination of Miroslav and Orkester for the rest, all layered together in most cases.

Now that I have access to my NI sounds, I don’t find I use any of those ReFills!

Selig Audio, LLC

sleep1979

29 May 2018

Esselfortium , that sounds a shame for me are they really that bad?

Reasonable man

29 May 2018

I havn't tried the pluck sound in Europhonic strings . If Selig uses it then it's definatley usable! As a whole though Europhic strings are quite cheesey and reverby imo ...i'm a former string player and i've browsed through em when i got the backline rig and they werent for me.
As belivable ensemble strings ...Stringwerk is the best ive ever heard or used ..its incredible . The drawback is it dosn't do single intruments very well . For that id suggest blending some of the single orchestra samples in Reason (with a very light blend layer of stringwerk for warmth).
Sometimes people overlook or simply forget about the combinator patches in Reason under 'strings'. Very nice patches there. One patch in particular has a lovely cello'y' resonance (forget which one) that is ideal for low end . if your not doing pluck, id highly recommend Stringwerk . But for the best possible combination i'd recommend looking at the combinator string patches (which are mostly nn-xt based) and throwing in a 6;2 line mixer and an instance of Stringwerk and balancing them. You can also set the ranges of both in the combinator sothere only overlapping where you feel you want them to.

sleep1979

30 May 2018

Thanks peeps i can tell u lot know your stuff, so best cheap vst then for strings i guess lol

Karel

30 May 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
29 May 2018
I havn't tried the pluck sound in Europhonic strings . If Selig uses it then it's definatley usable! As a whole though Europhic strings are quite cheesey and reverby imo ...i'm a former string player and i've browsed through em when i got the backline rig and they werent for me.
As belivable ensemble strings ...Stringwerk is the best ive ever heard or used ..its incredible . The drawback is it dosn't do single intruments very well . For that id suggest blending some of the single orchestra samples in Reason (with a very light blend layer of stringwerk for warmth).
Sometimes people overlook or simply forget about the combinator patches in Reason under 'strings'. Very nice patches there. One patch in particular has a lovely cello'y' resonance (forget which one) that is ideal for low end . if your not doing pluck, id highly recommend Stringwerk . But for the best possible combination i'd recommend looking at the combinator string patches (which are mostly nn-xt based) and throwing in a 6;2 line mixer and an instance of Stringwerk and balancing them. You can also set the ranges of both in the combinator sothere only overlapping where you feel you want them to.
+1 This is exactly the way I work. I mix Stringwerk with (mostly) Reason cellos or Miroslav.

sleep1979

30 May 2018

Karel wrote:
30 May 2018
Reasonable man wrote:
29 May 2018
+1 This is exactly the way I work. I mix Stringwerk with (mostly) Reason cellos or Miroslav.
what is reason cellos

selig
RE Developer

30 May 2018

Reasonable man wrote:I havn't tried the pluck sound in Europhonic strings . If Selig uses it then it's definatley usable! As a whole though Europhic strings are quite cheesey and reverby imo ...i'm a former string player and i've browsed through em when i got the backline rig and they werent for me.
It’s not the plucked (pizzicato) sounds I’m talking about, it’s the spicato (“a bowing effect where the bow appears to bounce lightly on the strings”). Think “Eleanor Rigby” type playing. This style was not represented in the other libraries, so that’s the main reason I ended up with the Euphonics library.

But again, I use NI instruments in Reason now that I have access to them (but made some wonderful music with the Orkester/Miroslav/Euphonics libraries in the past).

Selig Audio, LLC

sleep1979

30 May 2018

89 pounds
is a bit much

jayhosking

30 May 2018

I just bought a piece of monophonic hardware for more than ten times the price. 89 pounds is very fair for what you're getting, in my opinion.

kitekrazy

30 May 2018

esselfortium wrote:
29 May 2018
I own the Euphonic Strings refill and I think I've used it exactly one time, ever. There are weird phasing artifacts on many of the samples that give them an undesirably "synthy" artificial sound, and if you're writing legato melodies you generally need to drown them in reverb to get anything that sounds vaguely realistic.

I can't recommend the ProjectSAM RE either (it's very, very limited), and Miroslav is an antique from the days when RAM was hard to come by, so its contents are as wide as the ocean but as shallow as a puddle.

StringWerk is something of a one-trick pony (okay, a several-trick pony) but it's a pretty great-sounding several-trick pony and I use it very regularly.

Otherwise, though, I rely on Kontakt libraries for all my string, brass, and woodwind needs nowadays. Sampling an orchestra takes a lot of time and money, and it's hard to find something that will really be useful and expressive and great-sounding without having to spend a bit on it.
Noticed that too.

The Miroslav refill when it's on sale is still the best.

kitekrazy

30 May 2018

Look up Sonatina Orchestra. I think the name has changed but it's free.

QVprod

30 May 2018

StringWERK is pretty much the original Session Strings with added key-switches for articulations. Session Strings 2 was just recently released for the same price so I'd skip StringWERK altogether. If your not willing to pay 89 euro, then your choices are limited. The better stuff costs a bit more than that. However Orchestral Companion Strings is a decent VST. Probably best mixed with something else, but even being mixed with the stock Orkester stuff may suit your needs.

sleep1979

30 May 2018

89 seems fair but when its been on sale for 50 it makes me want to wait for now.

ltbrunt00

31 May 2018

Euphonic Strings has a deep Staccato bass sound that is amazing. You can get that Jaws sound with it.

sleep1979

01 Jun 2018

what about labs free strings ? are they good

darkmode

03 Jun 2018

Before Kontakt I always used Miroslav. With a little work they can sound great. Wort grabbing when on sale...trumpets are crap though :-)

sleep1979

03 Jun 2018

darkmode wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Before Kontakt I always used Miroslav. With a little work they can sound great. Wort grabbing when on sale...trumpets are crap though :-)
[/quote

i dont know how esounds still make money all Thier stuff sounds outdated to me , i did think the euphonics stuff sounded piss poor compared to project sams and spitfire audios vids , i just got the labs free strings i'll stick with that for now , i could have got heavyocity intimate strings but i didnt i'm not making orchestral music maybe ambient and pop so ensemble strings are good for me , peace & love

• Information