The Most Realistic orchestral sound( bar vst) for reason .

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sleep1979

04 Jun 2018

ok so after trying out both project sam and string werk , and downloading labs strings for free i'm keeping labs and dont see why i would need them two rack extensions ( ok i didnt try out much ) but wheres all the cellos violins violas etc ?

sleep1979

04 Jun 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
29 May 2018
StringWerk by E-instruments is by far the best string sounds in reason.

there are no separate instruments though , i wish i would have saved for that novo pack which is 99 dollars right now

QVprod

04 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
04 Jun 2018
ok so after trying out both project sam and string werk , and downloading labs strings for free i'm keeping labs and dont see why i would need them two rack extensions ( ok i didnt try out much ) but wheres all the cellos violins violas etc ?
Those are ensemble strings. There are no REs with separate string sections. For something cheap yet decent you could check out Orchestral Companion Strings vst that I mentioned earlier. It has individual sections as well as ensemble https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/ ... on-strings

ltbrunt00

04 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
what about labs free strings ? are they good
Everything from spitfire sounds good. I am using the spitfire Labs free strings and Piano, they are worth the download. I won't use the Labs that much since owning many of their other products that overlap.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

sleep1979

04 Jun 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
04 Jun 2018
sleep1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
what about labs free strings ? are they good
Everything from spitfire sounds good. I am using the spitfire Labs free strings and Piano, they are worth the download. I won't use the Labs that much since owning many of their other products that overlap.
yeah i was comparing them to the string werk re trial earlier , wasnt much in it for me i'd be interested to see what others think , im not a massive fan of the piano because i can make my xln audio piano soft with tweaking and i like that better , saying that the piano sounds nice when played really slow . looking forward to what they give away next more than i am focusrites giveaways now .

sleep1979

04 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
04 Jun 2018
sleep1979 wrote:
04 Jun 2018
Those are ensemble strings. There are no REs with separate string sections. For something cheap yet decent you could check out Orchestral Companion Strings vst that I mentioned earlier. It has individual sections as well as ensemble https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/ ... on-strings

they was selling them so cheap on plugin boutique a while back like dirt cheap i thought they must be some pony plugins , i read a review just now that sounds good, but i really dont know mate are they better than euphonic ? miroslav ? i should have got novo strings intimate textures oh well sales over now cheers m8

QVprod

04 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
04 Jun 2018
QVprod wrote:
04 Jun 2018

they was selling them so cheap on plugin boutique a while back like dirt cheap i thought they must be some pony plugins , i read a review just now that sounds good, but i really dont know mate are they better than euphonic ? miroslav ? i should have got novo strings intimate textures oh well sales over now cheers m8
Plugin boutique does those kinds of sales pretty often. It speaks nothing about the quality of the plugin. I also bought Air Xpand!2 and Hybrid for $1 off of plugin boutique as well. Both are great. The only complaint I have against Orchestral Companion is that it loads relatively slow. That said String refills products aren't any better n that regard due to how the NNXT handles samples. Miroslav is a really old refill made for Reason 3. Euphonic and Orchestral companion may be closer in sound quality (going by sound demos) but I don't have Euphonic to do a direct comparison. I can say though you won't get better than Orchestral companion without paying considerably more. There are demos for both if you want to try them out.

leonxx1983

07 Aug 2023

Agreed some Euphonic Strings patches are a bit iffy but it's totally worth it for the cellos basses and spiccatos! Also I quite like how they are generally brighter than a lot of other orchestra libraries.

ltbrunt00

10 Aug 2023

QVprod wrote:
30 May 2018
StringWERK is pretty much the original Session Strings with added key-switches for articulations. Session Strings 2 was just recently released for the same price so I'd skip StringWERK altogether. If your not willing to pay 89 euro, then your choices are limited. The better stuff costs a bit more than that. However Orchestral Companion Strings is a decent VST. Probably best mixed with something else, but even being mixed with the stock Orkester stuff may suit your needs.
I have the Reason StringWerk and both the original Session Strings and Session Strings 2 pro and the Reason Version is still better than those. Stringwerk is easier to use, automation instant no headache.

If money is not an issue. for orchestral Spitfire Audio is some of the best devices in this category.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

selig
RE Developer

11 Aug 2023

leonxx1983 wrote:
07 Aug 2023
Agreed some Euphonic Strings patches are a bit iffy but it's totally worth it for the cellos basses and spiccatos! Also I quite like how they are generally brighter than a lot of other orchestra libraries.
Turns out the Euphonic Strings patches are (99.99%) likely just ripped from the Kontakt versions. That explains why I liiked the Kontakt orchestra strings when I got back to using them (when Reason added VST support).
I updated my “essential” series that came with the basic Komplete package I’ve had since day one, and I’ve got fantastic versions of everything I need, short of some solo instruments which are also available in the current Komplete package I own.

Choosing a string library totally comes down to what you expect to do. Are you scoring mockups which will be replaced by real orchestra? Or hybrid arrangements which will be supplemented by real orchestra (more common), or doing 100% synthetic sections? Are you going for orchestral realism, or just adding some orchestral elements to a pop mix? Are you scoring films which need more esoteric instruments, or are you in an even more niché environment needing to produce a very specific result (producing backing tracks so you can play solo violin live with the other instruments coming from samples, etc).

There are SO many different uses for orchestral instruments, so many different settings to choose from (from large concert halls to chamber music) that there really cannot be one-size-fits-all for these things. Even asking for “the most realistic” still leaves gaps - most realistic authentic 17th century sound, classic (or modern) film orchestra sound, modern quartet sound, etherial sound, orchestral effects sounds, pop music sounds (vintage/modern/?), etc???
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information