ROLI and Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Skol303

29 May 2018

Hey guys'n'gals, my first post here. Be gentle :puf_smile:

Question: can the ROLI Seaboard Block (or any ROLI keyboard for that matter) be used in Reason as a basic MIDI controller?

I.e. capable of controlling Reason synths and other virtual instruments. If so, is it a simple 'plug and play', or are there some shenanigans involved in setting it up?

To clarify: I know that Reason isn't MPE compliant and so the full functionality of ROLI products isn't compatible with the Reason environment. I'm just interested to know whether ROLI products are able to interact with Reason at all.

I've already searched the forums here and there's lots of talk about MPE and Reason, but I can't find any clarity on my question above.

Thanks for any input.

botnotbot

29 May 2018

I've thought about this a bit, as a Linnstrument owner. It is actually possible to route multiple MIDI channels into an instrument track, it's just not so intuitive and requires a lot of manual work, including some Remote scripting.

Note that this is all theoretical, based on some stuff I read on a Reason blog I am forgetting right know about routing multiple Beatstep channels to a track. But here goes:

Basically, you create a remote script per channel, specified to capture a given channel but otherwise the same for each. Then you add a new Reason controller device for each channel-specific script, ignoring the warning about using the same MIDI port for multiple devices. Then you lock all those devices to the instrument track.

:shock:

I'm still hoping to see MIDI routing in the rack (with OMNI channel option, obviously) in 10.x, but who knows.

Skol303

29 May 2018

^ Thanks! That sounds way beyond my technical competence, but good to know there are workarounds for those with the knowledge and patience to try them out.

Coming back to my original question: does your Linnstrument work with Reason as a basic MIDI controller? I.e. can you use it to control Reason instruments, despite not having access to its full functionality?

botnotbot

29 May 2018

Skol303 wrote:
29 May 2018
^ Thanks! That sounds way beyond my technical competence, but good to know there are workarounds for those with the knowledge and patience to try them out.

Coming back to my original question: does your Linnstrument work with Reason as a basic MIDI controller? I.e. can you use it to control Reason instruments, despite not having access to its full functionality?
Ah, yes as far as I know it works perfectly fine in single channel mode. I've used it that way to write bass lines but haven't played with it extensively. I'll post here if I notice any issues.

Funny enough, MPE (on the LS at least) lends itself better to leads/solo voice stuff anyway. Unfortunately, you still ideally want 2-4 channels just to let things like release velocity and pressure changes on overlapping note strikes to play their part properly.

Skol303

29 May 2018

botnotbot wrote:
29 May 2018
Ah, yes as far as I know it works perfectly fine in single channel mode.
That's good to know, thanks :thumbs_up:

I'm in the market for a new - and compactl! - MIDI keyboard controller and am eyeing the ROLI Block with interest; mindful that I can't use all of its functionality in Reason of course... but if it can function as a basic controller, then that will suit me fine and I can use its full potential through the dedicated app.

O1B

29 May 2018

"ROLI Seaboard Block (or any ROLI keyboard for that matter"
I have the Rise 49. I think JoeyLuck rocks the Lighted Block.

"it can function as a basic controller"
Yes, easily.

"I can use its full potential through the dedicated app."
Yes. Perfect Plan. Or, at least, that's what I do. Equator...
- and if you have an iOS device - there's MPE apps from GarageBand to Moog!!
What a Time to Be Alive!

forgive me, if you're already updated on this - but, I'd want someone to tell me.
AniMoog AND ... the Model 15

joeyluck

29 May 2018

Skol303 wrote:
29 May 2018
botnotbot wrote:
29 May 2018
Ah, yes as far as I know it works perfectly fine in single channel mode.
That's good to know, thanks :thumbs_up:

I'm in the market for a new - and compactl! - MIDI keyboard controller and am eyeing the ROLI Block with interest; mindful that I can't use all of its functionality in Reason of course... but if it can function as a basic controller, then that will suit me fine and I can use its full potential through the dedicated app.
Yes, I highly recommend it. I have the Seaboard Block. One of my favorite new pieces to my setup. It is priced affordably, it introduces an entirely new and expressive way to play within my setup, it's very portable so I can bring it with me anywhere and it connects via USB or Bluetooth, which is very handy.

It would be nice to have MPE support in Reason. But it works very well in single channel mode. I use it with the SWAM string VSTs for string solos. I play plenty with Roli's Equator outside of Reason for MPE fun (it can be run standalone). I also use the VST it in GarageBand, which actually has MPE support. The Seaboard Block comes with Equator Player and you can upgrade to the full version for $79 I think (usually $179). It also comes with Strobe2 Player (Roli owns FXpansion). And if you use iOS, you can play with their app, Noise.

Skol303

29 May 2018

O1B wrote:
29 May 2018
Yes. Perfect Plan. Or, at least, that's what I do.
joeyluck wrote:
29 May 2018
Yes, I highly recommend it. I have the Seaboard Block. One of my favorite new pieces to my setup.
Thanks guys! Good to hear from Reason users that are using ROLI products in their set up (albeit without the MPE features of course). That’s exactly the confirmation I was looking for :)

I’m already accustomed to working with software outside of Reason as part of my workflow, so I’m sure I’d have no problem using the ROLI Block with Equator (outputting audio) and as a generic controller device within Reason itself.

ROLI incoming…!

O1B

29 May 2018

Boom!
ROLI incoming…!

joeyluck

29 May 2018

Skol303 wrote:
29 May 2018
O1B wrote:
29 May 2018
Yes. Perfect Plan. Or, at least, that's what I do.
joeyluck wrote:
29 May 2018
Yes, I highly recommend it. I have the Seaboard Block. One of my favorite new pieces to my setup.
Thanks guys! Good to hear from Reason users that are using ROLI products in their set up (albeit without the MPE features of course). That’s exactly the confirmation I was looking for :)

I’m already accustomed to working with software outside of Reason as part of my workflow, so I’m sure I’d have no problem using the ROLI Block with Equator (outputting audio) and as a generic controller device within Reason itself.

ROLI incoming…!
Yeah and Equator of course still works great in Reason for expressive solos.

I saw that Roli has the current promotion of $100 towards free live show tickets. That's pretty cool.

wireless

23 Aug 2018

Having already got the Seabord Blocks, Equator and Strobe 2, I just got hold of the new Cypher 2 at a reduced price until Sept 7th. This is even more awesome than Equator or Strobe 2 and well recommended (as a proud owner of 24 hours pedigree!)

https://support.roli.com/support/discus ... 6000005519

best regards

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2020

Hey I think I can guess the answer but wanted to bring this up again in case anything had changed (that I didn't notice in various updates). Is Reason still without MPE support?

A local seller has the ROLI songmaker kit half price at the moment and I've always thought it was a cool piece of kit. But I'm still not exactly sure what does and doesn't work in Reason regarding it's expression features (I know it can be used as a simple MIDI controller).

WasteLand

06 Jul 2020

as quite new owner of a roli seaboard block + lightpad M (and cypher 2...), a MPE module would already nice.
i use the term module, like in voltage modular.
to make a synth capable for MPE, depends on the synth. and the SDK...

but a MPE device, that let's you control for instance, 4 instances of thor (4 sounds, with the same patch), or for other modular routing.
it isn't that difficult, MPE isn't rocket science on itself.

but set the roli seaboard block to single channel (you can even use poly aftertouch, can any synth handle that in reason??), and you can use even articulations, only global of course, not per note.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

jam-s

06 Jul 2020

Reason 11 still does not support any advanced Midi functionality like MPE, Microtuning, Sysex, Midi 2.0, or even multi channel Instruments (like Kontakt).

Steedus
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2020

Thanks, I bought it anyway :mrgreen: - Maybe It'll make me use Logic more - and actually get use out of the Rack plugin!

• Information