Auto-Detect Midi Controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
strangers
Competition Winner

27 May 2018

Reason used to auto-detect my M-Audio Midi Keyboard for instant playability when opening a new session. As of a few weeks ago, it no longer auto-detects. I have to go into preferences, control surfaces and click auto-detect even though it shows the keyboard already recognized. This started happening a month or so ago. I haven't upgraded or made any changes either.

Is there a way to have Reason recognize the controller automatically again? It's much more convenient to open up and start playing off the bat, rather than jump into preferences every single time to redetect what Reason already sees.

zumBeispiel

27 May 2018

I'd say this is not normal behavior.
I've a lot of keyboards and controllers, some auto-detected and some manually, but ALL are fully recognized the next time Reason starts. Is there the tick to "Use with Reason"?
I suggest to check USB connection or the cable.
Or try to delete the reason preference file and start again the preferences from scratch.

Andy07

28 May 2018

Hallo and good. Morning from Hamburg Area
I have problems with my nektar p6 and win 10.
I asked nektar support and reason support but have no answer from reason now.
The nektar worked fine in the win 7 and the reason version before the last update.
I changed to win 10 and also to the new reason, and now the problem is
Reason will not autodetect, or sometime it detects 2 version of mixer mode.
So i install manually, that works, but when i start reaon for the next time i receive a message that no proper connection to the midi keyboard.

I could not find a tip how to delete the preferences in Reason.
Is this possible?
I tryied everythink. Installed the panorama a few times, installed the driver for the p6
Any tips
The panorama is. Connected to my audio interface komplete 6 from native instruments
Regards
Andreas

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 May 2018

strangers wrote:
27 May 2018
Reason used to auto-detect my M-Audio Midi Keyboard for instant playability when opening a new session. As of a few weeks ago, it no longer auto-detects. I have to go into preferences, control surfaces and click auto-detect even though it shows the keyboard already recognized. This started happening a month or so ago. I haven't upgraded or made any changes either.

Is there a way to have Reason recognize the controller automatically again? It's much more convenient to open up and start playing off the bat, rather than jump into preferences every single time to redetect what Reason already sees.
Same here. KB37. Been like that since upgrading to Windows 10.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zumBeispiel

28 May 2018

Ouch, so many? Again this is not normal, you all should definitely contact Propellerheads!

The Reason preferences file in windows is here:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason\Reason 10 Preferences.prf

Save a copy of it elsewhere before deleting. If deleted, reason will ask again about which sound card, sample rate and which keyboard.

Andy07

28 May 2018

i cleard the pref. an made a new install
automatic install was not working
the reported mistake is : Nektar, Panorama.Midi output:remote_deliver_midi():function must return a table.
what ever that means - manually congig than helps but after finish reason and open up again the mistake is back :
by the communication with p6 is a mistake happen so it is deactivated - click on the red mistake dialog - which i just explained above
So the question is where/ in which system is the mistake
Windows 10
Reason 10.1
Nektar their drivers are from 2017
Komplete Audio 6 native????
any further idea - reason is not answering in the moment on my question

zumBeispiel

28 May 2018

You should really ask for a professional support from Nektar and/or Propellerheads.

Just try to put that error into a google search, perhaps someone has already found a solution.

LudvigC
Reason Studios

28 May 2018

Hi,

Likely not related, but we removed autodetection for a few very old keyboards and controllers in Reason 10.0.3 (I believe). The reason was that the autodetection process took quite a long time on startup (a time that grew longer with each new controller that was added to the list). These models, you now need to add manually in the preferences.

But when I'm reading the OP this doesn't seem to be the problem here. Once you have added a keyboard/controller (manually or with autodetect, if available), Reason should remember it and automatically connect on the next session, provided that the OS reports that it's there ok. Some driver / OS version issue?

/ LudvigC, Propellerhead Software

Andy07

28 May 2018

I think now it is a windows 10 Problem.
There musr some midi controller inside win conflict with the nektar.
I found a article about this in microsoft.
For the people who are interested copy it here at the end.
I also found out if i uninstall the nektar while my mistake is happend, and than turn of the nektar, turn it on again leave teason open, the win os automaticly install the nektar and reason put the keyboard right to green.
So there must be a conflict there.
I am sure to find it out, so it seems to be not a reason and not a nektar matter

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... ab4&page=1

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 May 2018

Andy07 wrote:
28 May 2018
I think now it is a windows 10 Problem.
There musr some midi controller inside win conflict with the nektar.
I found a article about this in microsoft.
For the people who are interested copy it here at the end.
I also found out if i uninstall the nektar while my mistake is happend, and than turn of the nektar, turn it on again leave teason open, the win os automaticly install the nektar and reason put the keyboard right to green.
So there must be a conflict there.
I am sure to find it out, so it seems to be not a reason and not a nektar matter

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... ab4&page=1
Don’t know. Even with Windows 7 I often had to unplug/ plug in my keyboard when it suddenly stopped working. When it happens with 10 and I go in on midi-controllers the KB37 is there. Sometimes red and sometimes green. Sometimes pressing auto detect works. Sometimes restarting Reason works. Everything usually goes back to normal after a couple of tries :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

demt

29 May 2018

same sort of problem though detected doesnt show up in the drop down menu so i carnt assign it to tracks or instruments
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jetpilot00

29 May 2018

I've also got bit by the Windows 10 issue. My M-Audio Axiom 61 just stopped working with the upgrade and they won't support the product with new drivers. Extremely disappointed with M-Audio and will never buy a product from them again. The keyboard is only 6 years old.
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

zumBeispiel

29 May 2018

demt wrote:
29 May 2018
same sort of problem though detected doesnt show up in the drop down menu so i carnt assign it to tracks or instruments
Just wondering...
Is there written "This Is The Master Keyboard"?
Then click to "Use No Master Keyboard" and magically ... (at least it should do, here it does)
UseNo.jpg

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 May 2018

One thing to be careful of is your browser, they can take control of the midi port and hence not make it fully available to Reason, I had issues with chrome until I found that settings...

the other test to do just in case something else is getting it's hook in is to reboot and start Reason straight away, do you have the same problem?
Create a new profile(login) and try that, TBH running Reason under it's own profile is probably the best way to run Reason..

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

Aosta

29 May 2018

Well I'm windows 7 and after upgrading to R10 I have not been able to get my Korg Nanokontrol studio to work with reason whatsoever auto detect or not? So maybe it is something to do with Reason and not windows.
Tend the flame

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 May 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 May 2018
One thing to be careful of is your browser, they can take control of the midi port and hence not make it fully available to Reason, I had issues with chrome until I found that settings...

the other test to do just in case something else is getting it's hook in is to reboot and start Reason straight away, do you have the same problem?
Create a new profile(login) and try that, TBH running Reason under it's own profile is probably the best way to run Reason..

PoohBear

What settings and where? :):):)

Cam
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 May 2018

MrFigg wrote:
29 May 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 May 2018

PoohBear

Cam

chrome://settings/content/midiDevices

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 May 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 May 2018
MrFigg wrote:
29 May 2018

Cam

chrome://settings/content/midiDevices
Thanks Carly :):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Raveshaper

29 May 2018

LudvigC wrote:
28 May 2018
Likely not related, but we removed autodetection for a few very old keyboards and controllers in Reason 10.0.3 (I believe). The reason was that the autodetection process took quite a long time on startup (a time that grew longer with each new controller that was added to the list). These models, you now need to add manually in the preferences.
Lua 5.0 can support simultaneous threads. This iterative load time could be optimized by incorporating the currently unused threading scheme into Remote.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 May 2018

Now my KB37 is working :):):). Now I’m not getting any sound from Balance even though it’s recognised and selected. Unplug / plug in works...sometimes. Oh well :(.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Andy07

01 Jun 2018

For me it is finished.
Reason hotline that is no reason isue, they said.
Nektar tryed to help a lot, really good support.
The result which found out by myself
Useually the keyboard starts when i start windows, i than started reason and the mistake was there.

Now i turn the nektar of, after playing.
Start windows, start reason, start the Keyboard and than everythink is fine,
The keyboard ist recognized as panorama p6 and reason does work together with it.
Regards
Andreas

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

Andy07 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
For me it is finished.
Reason hotline that is no reason isue, they said.
Nektar tryed to help a lot, really good support.
The result which found out by myself
Useually the keyboard starts when i start windows, i than started reason and the mistake was there.

Now i turn the nektar of, after playing.
Start windows, start reason, start the Keyboard and than everythink is fine,
The keyboard ist recognized as panorama p6 and reason does work together with it.
Regards
Andreas
that really sounds like something else is getting it's hooks in, are saying after a fresh reboot with the Nektar running and then you run Reason it can't see it? (either part?)

Andy07

01 Jun 2018

Sorry i dont understand the question

strangers
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2018

Been on vacation and didn't expect to come back to such an active thread. I'll sift through all of the responses and give them a try. I'll report back with any progress/findings that may help others out or even more questions since there seem to be a ton of knowledgeable people helping out here.
jetpilot00 wrote:
29 May 2018
I've also got bit by the Windows 10 issue. My M-Audio Axiom 61 just stopped working with the upgrade and they won't support the product with new drivers. Extremely disappointed with M-Audio and will never buy a product from them again. The keyboard is only 6 years old.
I'm using the same M-Audio midi controller. Yours doesn't work even after having to manually auto-detect each time you open a new session?

strangers
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2018

Update: My M-Audio Axiom Midi controller now instantly works when loading up new sessions like it used to. I don't know if there was another Windows update or something over the past week. Didn't even get a chance to try out any of the ideas posted in this thread. Very weird. Hopefully, others that were having the same or similar issues are back to normal operation.

• Information