How to restrict Matrix' randomise pattern to specified octave(s)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

21 May 2018

How to restrict Matrix' "randomise pattern" function to specified octave(s)?

I love how this feature can be quickly used to test some patches / synths or provide inspiration when you're stuck, but I'd prefer if the result could be restricted to specified note range. Is it possible somehow? Is the only way to dump the notes to sequencer and edit there? Also, it would be great if Players (e.g. Scales & Chords) could work with Matrix to tame its crazy ideas to more conventional melodies :)

Tweak

21 May 2018

You can use a CV utility like Lectric Panda's Janitor to restrict the overall range by scaling, then change the offset to pull this into a a different octave. This obviously changes the notes after the output, so means you can no longer use the display in the matrix to determine the actual notes. You can kind of circumvent this problem by using Selig's new noteview player to help display the actual notes being pushed to your instrument.

phasewash

21 May 2018

use the keyzone settings in combinator, some notes will not fit the keyzone.. but i still found it handy ;)

antic604

21 May 2018

Tweak wrote:
21 May 2018
You can use a CV utility like Lectric Panda's Janitor to restrict the overall range by scaling, then change the offset to pull this into a a different octave. This obviously changes the notes after the output, so means you can no longer use the display in the matrix to determine the actual notes. You can kind of circumvent this problem by using Selig's new noteview player to help display the actual notes being pushed to your instrument.
phasewash wrote:
21 May 2018
use the keyzone settings in combinator, some notes will not fit the keyzone.. but i still found it handy ;)
Good ideas, thanks! :)

Sterioevo

21 May 2018

I made a "Octave squasher" combinator for this purpose a while ago - see attached. I find it useful to put the target device in another combinator so you can see what notes are being triggered in the combo programmer (after processing by the octave squasher). Just hook up the gate and note CV's. There is a matrix to experiment with modulating octaves in there as well.

The Thor sequencer can limit to 2 and 4 octaves.
Attachments
Octave Squasher.cmb.zip
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

plaamook

21 May 2018

one thing you can do is to manually throw some random shit into the octave you want then alter the pattern. It's not quite randomise but it can achive the same results.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Voyager

21 May 2018

The best thing to happend to Matrix was the CV Tuner utility from Ochen K.

I always use them combined and to date i never got better results from any other sequencer.

Catblack

21 May 2018

Sterioevo wrote:
21 May 2018
I made a "Octave squasher" combinator for this purpose a while ago - see attached. I find it useful to put the target device in another combinator so you can see what notes are being triggered in the combo programmer (after processing by the octave squasher). Just hook up the gate and note CV's. There is a matrix to experiment with modulating octaves in there as well.

This is a brilliant solution to a problem that I run into all the time. Thank you.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

ljekio

22 May 2018

Good idea, I've been wanting to do note wrapper for same needs but I made only note separator (with settings thresholds of range).
Now I can use your Squasher for one octave (or two octave with little tweak of squasher).
Thanks.

RandomSkratch

22 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 May 2018
How to restrict Matrix' "randomise pattern" function to specified octave(s)?

I love how this feature can be quickly used to test some patches / synths or provide inspiration when you're stuck, but I'd prefer if the result could be restricted to specified note range. Is it possible somehow? Is the only way to dump the notes to sequencer and edit there? Also, it would be great if Players (e.g. Scales & Chords) could work with Matrix to tame its crazy ideas to more conventional melodies :)
I would love to see this built into Matrix myself.

antic604

22 May 2018

Sterioevo wrote:
21 May 2018

Brilliant! Thanks :)

Sterioevo

22 May 2018

Thanks - glad it is useful :)

antic604

23 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 May 2018
Is the only way to dump the notes to sequencer and edit there? Also, it would be great if Players (e.g. Scales & Chords) could work with Matrix to tame its crazy ideas to more conventional melodies :)
Actually, I've just learned that all this can be done with the FREE CV Player Tap from Lectric Panda! :o :thumbs_up:

seqoi

23 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
23 May 2018
antic604 wrote:
21 May 2018
Is the only way to dump the notes to sequencer and edit there? Also, it would be great if Players (e.g. Scales & Chords) could work with Matrix to tame its crazy ideas to more conventional melodies :)
Actually, I've just learned that all this can be done with the FREE CV Player Tap from Lectric Panda! :o :thumbs_up:
Care to explain or post a sample please (rns)

EnochLight

23 May 2018

seqoi wrote:
23 May 2018
antic604 wrote:
23 May 2018

RNS? I think you mean *.reason file.. :) ;) I've attached an example. Without CV Player Tap, this would not be possible (Hit play on your transport or run the Matrix; right-click on the Matrix and hit the Randomize Pattern function while turning Scales and Chords player on and off)... Without CV Player Tap to translate the MIDI into something Scales and Chords understands, the randomized notes are not musical.
Attachments
CV Player Tap Fun.zip
(61.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Sterioevo

23 May 2018

Not sure I follow but when you direct record a Scale and Chords Player within a combinator (recording midi to the instrument sequencer track) it records notes as expected - ie. you can randomise the patterns and record these on the fly.

seqoi

23 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
23 May 2018
seqoi wrote:
23 May 2018

RNS? I think you mean *.reason file.. :) ;) I've attached an example. Without CV Player Tap, this would not be possible (Hit play on your transport or run the Matrix; right-click on the Matrix and hit the Randomize Pattern function while turning Scales and Chords player on and off)... Without CV Player Tap to translate the MIDI into something Scales and Chords understands, the randomized notes are not musical.
Yes i mean on Reason file.

Thanks for posting. But what you posted was already doable for a while. You are basically spitting out random notes which then adapt to certain scale and that is ok. I was doing it since players came out and you don't need CV Player Tap you don't need anything actually you just have to put instrument in to combinator and then you add Matrix to combinator and Chord Player inside combinator. No CV Player Tap needed. I saw that way in some Reason video posted on PH blog a while ago. IMO it's great because you can that way simply save all your ideas within one combinator for later. Quite amazing if you ask me (just place matrix inside combinator after you connect it).

Here i am posting result next to your which is absolutely same (sequence wise) - with no CV Player Tap needed.

What i was asking is how people "limit" Matrix to certain octave ranges WITH players. I saw one file posted above and i loaded it but i don't understand it. IT does not limit anything. I apologize for my confusion and again thanks for responding.

Great fun with these. Love it.
Attachments
noCVtap needed.zip
no CV tap needed
(98.67 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

EnochLight

24 May 2018

seqoi wrote:
23 May 2018
EnochLight wrote:
23 May 2018

Yes i mean on Reason file.

Thanks for posting. But what you posted was already doable for a while. You are basically spitting out random notes which then adapt to certain scale and that is ok. I was doing it since players came out and you don't need CV Player Tap you don't need anything actually you just have to put instrument in to combinator and then you add Matrix to combinator and Chord Player inside combinator. No CV Player Tap needed. I saw that way in some Reason video posted on PH blog a while ago. IMO it's great because you can that way simply save all your ideas within one combinator for later. Quite amazing if you ask me (just place matrix inside combinator after you connect it).

Here i am posting result next to your which is absolutely same (sequence wise) - with no CV Player Tap needed.

What i was asking is how people "limit" Matrix to certain octave ranges WITH players. I saw one file posted above and i loaded it but i don't understand it. IT does not limit anything. I apologize for my confusion and again thanks for responding.

Great fun with these. Love it.
Cool; thanks for sharing!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information