Rigs vs. Komplete

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
daisky

18 May 2018

Hello folks! I have a question: I use Logic Pro and Reason and I am tempted by the Backline Rig sale (and possibly the other rigs). However, I am wondering if it would make sense to wait for the NI annual summer sale and just pick up Komplete for around the same price of the May Madness rigs.

Pros:
- Can use Komplete in both Reason and Logic whereas the Rigs are Reason only
- The incredible instrument (the pianos!) collection

Cons: Not really sure. There is a quirkiness to the Reason stuff that I enjoy. Also REs presumably run smoother than VSTs, but again I will be locked to Reason. I also suspect updates to the REs will be few and far between (or never) given VST availability.

What do you think?

QVprod

18 May 2018

What are the main things you're looking for? Going by prices, I assume you're talking about Komplete 11 select (not the Standard or Ultimate versions) which would be comparable to the current rigs sale price. Personally I think in this case the Backline Rig will probably give you better overall value. If the comparison were to the higher priced Komplete packages I'd might say otherwise.

ShawnG

19 May 2018

I own all the rigs at one version level or other, and I own Komplete 11 Ultimate.

The rigs are pretty cool, but if you don't have Kontakt and reaktor in your arsenal yet, this is a no brainer IMO. The world's most used and gold standard full featured sampler, and a modular environment synth and effect playground. and then there's the other stuff on top, effects, synths, sample libraries etc...

then, maybe buy some rigs in later sales. there's definitely a lot to like in there, but Komplete wins, again IMO. The ultimate version is nice, but I don't really use a lot of the extras there; the standard edition would be a bargain if it just included kontakt and reaktor, and there's a bunch else there besides. usually the NI sale would put K11 std at 300 dollars which is the price of 2 of the three rigs in this sale.

if it IS komplete select you are looking at, which doesn't come with full versions of the headliner products, you would be looking at a usual sale price of 100, but it's missing too much. its def worth 100 but, I'd get one of the rigs in that case

daisky

19 May 2018

Thank you guys for the useful replies. I am looking at either Komplete standard or ultimate.
ShawnG wrote:
19 May 2018
then, maybe buy some rigs in later sales. usually the NI sale would put K11 std at 300 dollars which is the price of 2 of the three rigs in this sale.
Does the sale really put Komplete 11 Std at $300? I thought the $300 is the update price, meaning you need to have either Select or an earlier Komplete?

Because if it will be $300 then I will just get the rigs and Komplete Std. A slight worry is that I do not want to own too much stuff and end up doing less because of all the options, but it's a problem I can live with.

chimp_spanner

19 May 2018

If you can get Komplete 11 Ultimate then I think that’s really the way to go. Just the Kontakt Factory Library alone will add so much content. Reaktor and Blocks, the Drummers, the Orchestral stuff. Plus all the effects. Honestly I haven’t really needed to buy any other sample libraries for ages. There’s still stuff I haven’t even used yet.

ShawnG

20 May 2018

daisky wrote:
19 May 2018
Thank you guys for the useful replies. I am looking at either Komplete standard or ultimate.
ShawnG wrote:
19 May 2018
then, maybe buy some rigs in later sales. usually the NI sale would put K11 std at 300 dollars which is the price of 2 of the three rigs in this sale.
Does the sale really put Komplete 11 Std at $300? I thought the $300 is the update price, meaning you need to have either Select or an earlier Komplete?

Because if it will be $300 then I will just get the rigs and Komplete Std. A slight worry is that I do not want to own too much stuff and end up doing less because of all the options, but it's a problem I can live with.
ok, guess I was wrong. I bought Komplete at version 4 a long time ago and have been updating since, which has me used to seeing a 50% discount when I do, since I always wait for the sale. Looking at past sales for the full versions, they don't get the same half off special, usually, unless they are about to drop a whole new komplete (which, we are about due for TBH) anyway check here: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... plete.html as they have a google spreadsheet on the past history of sales.

You can perhaps creatively buy Komplete at a discount by snagging Kontakt or komplete select at a sale price, and then crossgrading that to the full komplete, either later, or in the same sale if they are both offered. Or you can maybe find someone who wants to transfer their license over on Kvr or elsewhere (right now a quick forum search shows one guy selling k11 ultimate for $655 and another guy selling komplete select for $120). if you are patient, and are able to pounce when a deal is available, you can get things at a substantial discount. I never buy at full price

daisky

21 May 2018

Alright, I got the Backline Rig. I also got Komplete Select for $100. If NI do the 50% sale next month I will upgrade, otherwise I won't.

Too early about the Backline Rig but my first impressions are that the Re-Tron and ChamberTron are incredible -- I can easily see myself putting hours just playing them. The biggest disappointment I am having is with the A-list stuff. Logic drummer is better and easier to use, and maybe because I am a guitar player I find the A-list guitarists on the boring side. But it's too early, maybe I will warm up to them.

Still a ton of stuff to go through -- the strings, the refills, the drums and bass, etc. It's a pretty good package for the sale price.

• Information