May Madness is on!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

24 May 2018

djadalaide wrote:
24 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018

Using Reason’s “The Echo” with Neptune in the feedback path makes for a very interesting and lo-fi Eventide Crystals type patch, but it is nothing like the real thing... Pitch shifting is something that is sorely lacking in Reason, and you’ve got to kludge stuff together....but then again, using your ingenuity to kludge stuff together has always been at the heart of Reason.
Polar is a much better fit for doing this, maybe you should consider it as its in the sale :D
For simplicity use the one from Kilohearts. Their bundle is also on sale atm.
Reason12, Win10

djadalaide

24 May 2018

Loque wrote:
24 May 2018
djadalaide wrote:
24 May 2018

Polar is a much better fit for doing this, maybe you should consider it as its in the sale :D
For simplicity use the one from Kilohearts. Their bundle is also on sale atm.
I like all of the options that polar gives, 4 algorithms to choose from and the filter/lfo is an added bonus.

But khz yeah thats another great bundle.

jimmyklane

24 May 2018

djadalaide wrote:
24 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018

Using Reason’s “The Echo” with Neptune in the feedback path makes for a very interesting and lo-fi Eventide Crystals type patch, but it is nothing like the real thing... Pitch shifting is something that is sorely lacking in Reason, and you’ve got to kludge stuff together....but then again, using your ingenuity to kludge stuff together has always been at the heart of Reason.
Funny you should mention that...I was just listening to the soundcloud examples last night. I absolutely do not want this to sound snobby or elitist, but because I’ve got a fair amount of Eventide equipment I’m always comparing things to that. Polar DOES sound good, but I’d have to find a way to mimic the A/D—D/A stages of my H3000, as they have a pretty distinct sound of their own, and I’d buy it because it’s always nice to use Reason effects on Reason instruments and my hardware on the hardware instruments.

I’m going to go check out the price on Polar now
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

djadalaide

24 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
24 May 2018
djadalaide wrote:
24 May 2018

Funny you should mention that...I was just listening to the soundcloud examples last night. I absolutely do not want this to sound snobby or elitist, but because I’ve got a fair amount of Eventide equipment I’m always comparing things to that. Polar DOES sound good, but I’d have to find a way to mimic the A/D—D/A stages of my H3000, as they have a pretty distinct sound of their own, and I’d buy it because it’s always nice to use Reason effects on Reason instruments and my hardware on the hardware instruments.

You could emulate the a/d d/a stages using blamsoft resampler probably with a preamp simulator, like nebula 4 (which is amazing).. but that sounds like a lot of effort for someone who has the original :)

I'm more of a fan of the h910 dual harmonizer plugin, its a really good emulation of the original device that started it all - nice and gritty but with a modern twist (the dual device never existed but some artists used to use two of them together.)

jimmyklane

24 May 2018

djadalaide wrote:
24 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
24 May 2018

You could emulate the a/d d/a stages using blamsoft resampler probably with a preamp simulator, like nebula 4 (which is amazing).. but that sounds like a lot of effort for someone who has the original :)

I'm more of a fan of the h910 dual harmonizer plugin, its a really good emulation of the original device that started it all - nice and gritty but with a modern twist (the dual device never existed but some artists used to use two of them together.)
You mention the H910....The studio I began my career in had 2 H910s and 1 H949...because the pots on the front were just simple pots, you could just barely move them and they would keep the A/D on the pot confused and it would keep switching between pitches. This is the behavior you see on the plugin. We would pan these hard left/right. They worked really well to disguise slightly pitchy vocalists! In addition, the 949 was one of our main tools for tuning vocals. When a vocalist nailed a take, but one note was 15 cents flat, you would of course try to punch in (on another track if available to avoid destroying the “perfect” take) you could simply automate a VCA group with that phrase running into the Eventide. Very small shifts like that were pretty much undetectable.

To emulate old A/D stages I do a few things:

A: I use the “audio in” 3rd-party effect for my Ensoniq EPS 16+....it’s got a sound and it’s fucking awesome.

B: Use the excellent (but not necessarily accurate!) D16 Decimort 2.

C: Loop the audio back in analog through my digital console, an old Yamaha O2Rv2. I only use it in the digital domain, where it shines for routing and automation. The automation alone is worth dealing with 90’s technology. It’s got a characteristic “hard” sound that is pretty mid-forward. Loses some of the sub, and cuts fairly drastically above 15k at 44.1kHz.

In any case, Polar is very much on my radar. It wasn’t worth $70 to me because I’ve got the hardware (an H3000 D/SE, and an H4000DSP) it’s based on along with the entire Eventide Anthology series and 2 H9 pedals as well....however, at $39, it seems like a solid purchase so I don’t have to deal with routing internal Reason devices through external hardware and re-recording the results (PITA).... thanks for bringing this older RE back to my attention. I’ve got it downloaded today for the demo!

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

manisnotabird

25 May 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2018
manisnotabird wrote:
24 May 2018

Nothing. Hope the next sale sees the Rig updates on sale.
Nah. I askes them and they said that it didn’t look like it. So for €50 than the upgrade folks got the whole bundle. Oh well. Still good value :).
IIRC, they put the updates from 1 to 2 on sale at one point.

Ejectzero

25 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018
Can anyone say from experience that some of the $9-19 REs are really better than options we have in Reason?
Distributor from Blamsoft ($9): https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... stributor/
It's not on sale, but if you are looking into building more unstable/real/analog-sounding patches, this is what you need.
1. Use whatever multi instrument combinator patch you have and rig it up with this, it's amazing what it does with your sound.
2. Use multiple instances of the same patch but fiddle some knobs on each.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
25 May 2018
MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2018

Nah. I askes them and they said that it didn’t look like it. So for €50 than the upgrade folks got the whole bundle. Oh well. Still good value :).
IIRC, they put the updates from 1 to 2 on sale at one point.
Well here’s hoping :). Time will tell. But, like I said above, props said it’s not likely now in any case.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jimmyklane

25 May 2018

Ejectzero wrote:
25 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018
Can anyone say from experience that some of the $9-19 REs are really better than options we have in Reason?
Distributor from Blamsoft ($9): https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... stributor/
It's not on sale, but if you are looking into building more unstable/real/analog-sounding patches, this is what you need.
1. Use whatever multi instrument combinator patch you have and rig it up with this, it's amazing what it does with your sound.
Blamsoft just got my $9. Read the description and was sold.

Loque

25 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
25 May 2018
Ejectzero wrote:
25 May 2018

Mehh...hopefully you bought the bundle for 29?
Reason12, Win10

strangers
Competition Winner

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
20 May 2018
I like it more as a special fx, where you can add fx to different parts of the volume envelope, like an echo on the peak, saturation on the mid, reverb on the lowest part. Can be pretty interesting from time to time. Also as some kind of envelope shaper, wher you compress or saturate only the peaks. The draw back with this device is, that it does not have PDC for the break outs (Reason problem, not this device itself), so you need to have the same fx chains on all channels. It is quite easy to use and you can get quick results. Only if you switch source material you need to readjust the thresholds. Similar fx in VST world are much more expensive and have less features.

Do not forget, you can use it on every material that has a volume signal, that means you can also process m/s seprated material with it (extra device needed), which results in control of the amplitude areas in mono/stereo/mid/side. Just think of you want to only "echo" the outer side signals witth highest peak or stuff like that.

If you like to fiddle around with fx, you can have lots of fun. If you are more straight forward and not that fx-player-fiddle-dude, you will not use it much.
This is probably a stupid question, but how does Sunder differ from something like Air Raid Elements Band Splitter? I understand Sunder reacts to amplitude whereas Elements is based on frequency ranges. With that being said, how does Sunder excel over something like Elements? If only I saved my trial, I could avoid this totally ignorant question.

antic604

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
25 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
25 May 2018

Good question! I'm pretty much sold on Distributor, but not sure if I'd use all the other elements from the bundle? I was not very impressed with VK-1 synth (compared to Expanse that I own or Zero, that I want but hate its look :)) and since those are bits & pieces of it it might be eur20 wrongly spent... I've enough envelope generators, filters, etc. Maybe that eur20 would be better spent towards VK-2, which does sound incredible?

Loque

26 May 2018

strangers wrote:
26 May 2018
Loque wrote:
20 May 2018
I like it more as a special fx, where you can add fx to different parts of the volume envelope, like an echo on the peak, saturation on the mid, reverb on the lowest part. Can be pretty interesting from time to time. Also as some kind of envelope shaper, wher you compress or saturate only the peaks. The draw back with this device is, that it does not have PDC for the break outs (Reason problem, not this device itself), so you need to have the same fx chains on all channels. It is quite easy to use and you can get quick results. Only if you switch source material you need to readjust the thresholds. Similar fx in VST world are much more expensive and have less features.

Do not forget, you can use it on every material that has a volume signal, that means you can also process m/s seprated material with it (extra device needed), which results in control of the amplitude areas in mono/stereo/mid/side. Just think of you want to only "echo" the outer side signals witth highest peak or stuff like that.

If you like to fiddle around with fx, you can have lots of fun. If you are more straight forward and not that fx-player-fiddle-dude, you will not use it much.
This is probably a stupid question, but how does Sunder differ from something like Air Raid Elements Band Splitter? I understand Sunder reacts to amplitude whereas Elements is based on frequency ranges. With that being said, how does Sunder excel over something like Elements? If only I saved my trial, I could avoid this totally ignorant question.
Did i said that? Hum... What I can say now is, you may have another toy to split your audio. You already have mid/side, frequency and with Sunder you have amplitude. All 3 can combined in different ways.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

26 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 May 2018
Loque wrote:
25 May 2018

Good question! I'm pretty much sold on Distributor, but not sure if I'd use all the other elements from the bundle? I was not very impressed with VK-1 synth (compared to Expanse that I own or Zero, that I want but hate its look :)) and since those are bits & pieces of it it might be eur20 wrongly spent... I've enough envelope generators, filters, etc. Maybe that eur20 would be better spent towards VK-2, which does sound incredible?
VK-1 is not the best selling argument for the Bundle. Distributor, F-16 and Movement is imo.
Reason12, Win10

strangers
Competition Winner

26 May 2018

Loque wrote:
26 May 2018
Did i said that? Hum... What I can say now is, you may have another toy to split your audio. You already have mid/side, frequency and with Sunder you have amplitude. All 3 can combined in different ways.
Thanks for putting up with my annoying questions. I may just have to take the plunge and buy Sunder. If I find Air Raid Elements to be useful then I'm sure I'll have plenty uses for Sunder, too.

Bumbum

27 May 2018

i bought following
Phatsat Saturation FX 1.0.1 FULL: 15.00 EUR
The Animus Shimmerverb Ensemble 1.0.1 FULL: 39.00 EUR

candybag

28 May 2018

I got the ABL3, and sweet baby jeebus it's HOT!
Be gone, Subtractor+Scream combo!
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit
9900K - 16 GB - 3xXB270HU - GTX 1080 ti

Ejectzero

28 May 2018

Loque wrote:
25 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
25 May 2018

Awesome Jimmy, hope you get a bang for the buck from it.
I forgot about the bundle Loque, I personally don't own it.

EZ

botnotbot

29 May 2018

Pulled the trigger on LAB:ONE's Executioner, for use this upcoming weekend!

Catblack

29 May 2018

I was about to grab that great bundle from Air Raid Audio with all their REs for $59, but then the price at checkout went up. Anyone else notice this?
Air Supremacy sale.PNG
Air Supremacy sale.PNG (9.13 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
bundle in cart.PNG
bundle in cart.PNG (67.45 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
airraid checkout.PNG
airraid checkout.PNG (37.7 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Loque

30 May 2018

Catblack wrote:
29 May 2018
I was about to grab that great bundle from Air Raid Audio with all their REs for $59, but then the price at checkout went up. Anyone else notice this?Air Supremacy sale.PNGbundle in cart.PNGairraid checkout.PNG
Yea, i paid the same. I guess the 59 is wrong per se and the calculated final price is even more wrong. But i thounght, its ok, thats worth it for me. I wouldnt had payed more than 70-80 for fx which types i already own or fx from the bundle i already own.

I would not expect the bundle will ever be so cheap again.

Btw: it shows something of 260 when i was logged in and shows 59 when i was logged off. I tried both for shopping and when logged in, i had to pay 260, which i never had payed for that (since i own half of the package and a bunch of those fx types).
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

30 May 2018

I was super tempted to buy the synthetic rig but told myself that I need to actually finish writing some songs before I buy any more REs, lol. Trying to motive myself through tough love, haha. Will it work, time will tell.

Aosta

30 May 2018

Is there anyone else like me who hasn't actually bought anything?
Tend the flame

HeavyViper

30 May 2018

Nothing really jumped out at me this time around, nah. I think MannequinRaces has the right idea, tbqh.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

EdGrip

30 May 2018

Already glad I grabbed Propulsion and Korde. Nothing else I particularly fancy - although LeSpace is a right bargain and I won't pretend I haven't been eyeing it up

• Information