how to deselect all?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WeLoveYouToo

15 May 2018

yeah, pretty simple. for years i accidentally "select all" and then cannot undo it and am left deleting all tracks if i mean to delete one.
usually i just "create a new track" to get rid of the selection, but does anyone know a keyboard shortcut or right click menu item or something?
i know that cmd+A selects all, but it does not deselect all when pressed a 2nd time.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

You can control click(command left click for mac?) to deselect individual clips if you have multiple selected or if you want to deselect all, I just left click anywhere in the sequencer and it deselects everything.

WeLoveYouToo

15 May 2018

yeah, that's for individual tracks, but any idea about all tracks?
when working on a 30 track song, individual clicks are mroe of a chore than creating a new track then deleting it.
also, i notice shift-clicking it selects a portion of all tracks instead, but it still doesn't clear it.

WeLoveYouToo

15 May 2018

i should clarify i mean all tracks in the sequencer, not all clips
Screen Shot deselect.jpg
Screen Shot deselect.jpg (990.63 KiB) Viewed 1259 times

Loque

15 May 2018

I know what you mean, the selection seems to be there for ever. It is a bug imo. Sometimes the selection only seem to be painted, but was removed - not sure. This bug exists since a long time now. Maybe i should have reported it...to the many other bugs i reported...
Reason12, Win10

WeLoveYouToo

15 May 2018

Loque wrote:
15 May 2018
I know what you mean, the selection seems to be there for ever. It is a bug imo. Sometimes the selection only seem to be painted, but was removed - not sure. This bug exists since a long time now. Maybe i should have reported it...to the many other bugs i reported...
hearing someone else has come across this is a bit of a relief.
i'll report it too, it's literally been years of working around it. and it seems like possibly a simple oversight on PH's part

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
15 May 2018
yeah, that's for individual tracks, but any idea about all tracks?
when working on a 30 track song, individual clicks are mroe of a chore than creating a new track then deleting it.
also, i notice shift-clicking it selects a portion of all tracks instead, but it still doesn't clear it.
Try shift left click on a single track. It deselects them all for me when I do that.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

You click the track lane and when the box comes up do shift+left click on it.
Gif.gif
Gif.gif (103.91 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

WeLoveYouToo

15 May 2018

Try shift left click on a single track. It deselects them all for me when I do that.
shift-clicking selects either a few or a couple or yes, sometimes one track, but it's based on some unknown-to-me variable.
generally it seems to pair the selection down to just tracks in a group/combinator/etc as far as i can tell

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
15 May 2018
shift-clicking selects either a few or a couple or yes, sometimes one track, but it's based on some unknown-to-me variable.
generally it seems to pair the selection down to just tracks in a group/combinator/etc as far as i can tell
Hmm, maybe try shift double click really fast? That also works for me every time.

selig
RE Developer

15 May 2018

If you command click (mac) on one track it will deselect that track. Then click again with no modifier and just that one track is selected. I’m not sure it’s possible to have NO tracks selected, so this effectively solves your issue.

As per “Shift Click” issues, this normally works depending on the current selection, allowing you to select a contiguous range of tracks. When all tracks are selected it doesn’t make sense for it to do anything.

When Shift-Click is odd is the following. Say you have four tracks and select #2. Then you shift-click on #4 and you now have 2, 3, and 4 selected. Next you shift click on track 1 thinking it should select all four, but instead it selects only 1 and 2. This is because the first selected track was #2, and shift-click operates on that selection as if no other tracks are selected.

To add track 1 in the above scenario, instead use command-click (mac) on track 1 to add it to the current selection.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

WeLoveYouToo

22 May 2018

selig wrote:
15 May 2018
If you command click (mac) on one track it will deselect that track. Then click again with no modifier and just that one track is selected. I’m not sure it’s possible to have NO tracks selected, so this effectively solves your issue.
ah, thank you, this is the workaround propellerheads suggested.

and yeah, i said "deselect all" but i meant deselect all except the track i was on prior to the "select all" command.

thank you, very helpful response

aeox
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
22 May 2018
selig wrote:
15 May 2018
ah, thank you, this is the workaround propellerheads suggested.

and yeah, i said "deselect all" but i meant deselect all except the track i was on prior to the "select all" command.

thank you, very helpful response
Interestingly, that doesn't work for me. :D

• Information