Brand new laptop... Computer too slow. HALP!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 May 2018

sublunar wrote:
16 May 2018

A high performance plan DEFINITELY, VERIFIABLY, BY DESIGN improves performance compared to the default power saver mode/running on battery. ---> Fact ---> Reality
A high performance plan will run your system at it's optimal performance, a default power saver plans will decrease performance when on a battery, but I have not said I use a default power saver plan. No plan can improve performance, you can't make your laptop have a greater performance than what it is.
sublunar wrote:
16 May 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 May 2018
For doing a serious amount of work don't work off a battery.
I will continue to do so. In fact, I JUST DID on my lunch break just now. You can't stop me!
Obviously we have different ideas of what a serious amount of work is and I have no intentions in stopping you.
sublunar wrote:
16 May 2018
I would further argue that lashing out and calling things stupid is in fact demonstrably hostile.
I really cannot see the point of running a benchmark on a system with a low battery and hence my comment, which you took the wrong way thinking I was saying it's stupid to run a laptop on a battery (but I stand by my comment of a serious amount of work, I can easily program for 10 hours straight).

but in all fairness I should have read the rest of your comment properly, your disclaimer caught my eye before finishing the first sentence, wrongfully a red flag to me, even if you did suggest that I was "stupid"er but that's water of a ducks back to me... So I can see that my comment seamed out of place to your complete comment but I was only replying to the "benchmark on a low battery" part.

sublunar wrote:
16 May 2018
This has definitely not been a friendly conversation. You've been overtly hostile to myself and others. Over Windows Power Saving mode. It's mind boggling that a conversation about power saving mode in Windows would result in such silly bonkers nonsense.
It's not the power saving mode per say , it the misinformation that's around a lot of things and I'm not saying that's you saying that.

maybe a question to the OP is ask if they were running off the battery or plugged in, but then again they have not replied once..

EnochLight

16 May 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 May 2018
Bullshit, it does not improve performance. Would love you to prove it.

viewtopic.php?p=393026#p393026
this is on a desktop machine.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
16 May 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 May 2018
Bullshit, it does not improve performance. Would love you to prove it.

viewtopic.php?p=393026#p393026
this is on a desktop machine.
I could do a video right now without changing any settings (apart from switching between plans of course) on my laptop and with the law of averages could show you that my high performance plan is slower than my balanced plan, but what does that really prove!

Also in that video it shows they are using a custom plan which clearly states it will reduce you system performance so there is no surprise there with those results.

There is nothing wrong having a system that throttles down the CPU speed when not is use. You said I moved the goal posts by pointing out about heat, noise and power consumption but that's all part of the parcel.

What the OP needs to do and they already stated that they have not made any optimisation changes is to simply work out where the highest bottleneck is and with a few tweaks resolve that and move onto the next highest and so forth, I do use a divide and conquer approach when making changes so I will start off with a sledgehammer but will move down to precision hammer when needed.

PSoames

17 May 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 May 2018
I could do a video right now without changing any settings (apart from switching between plans of course) on my laptop and with the law of averages could show you that my high performance plan is slower than my balanced plan, but what does that really prove!

Also in that video it shows they are using a custom plan which clearly states it will reduce you system performance so there is no surprise there with those results.

There is nothing wrong having a system that throttles down the CPU speed when not is use. You said I moved the goal posts by pointing out about heat, noise and power consumption but that's all part of the parcel.

What the OP needs to do and they already stated that they have not made any optimisation changes is to simply work out where the highest bottleneck is and with a few tweaks resolve that and move onto the next highest and so forth, I do use a divide and conquer approach when making changes so I will start off with a sledgehammer but will move down to precision hammer when needed.
Ok, clearly there are some other issues going on here, so time to back away and keep smiling! :?

But before I do; there is no custom power plan being used in that video. :roll:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 May 2018

PSoames wrote:
17 May 2018

OK maybe Power Plan is standard then which is not on my system that I built my self, weird that I'm missing that plan.... but as stated that plan will decrease performance.

EnochLight

17 May 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 May 2018
PSoames wrote:
17 May 2018

OK maybe Power Plan is standard then which is not on my system that I built my self, weird that I'm missing that plan.... but as stated that plan will decrease performance.
Right, and changing to High Performance will increase performance. Glad we got that established. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 May 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 May 2018

Right, and changing to High Performance will increase performance. Glad we got that established. :)
Nooooooooooo, because a power plan does not overclock your system, even in MS documenation they cover their ass with "might"
High performance - Maximizes screen brightness and might increase PC performance. This plan uses a lot more energy, so your laptop battery won't last as long between charges.
you can get a perceived increase in performance but really you are only getting your system to run normally, but having a plan that does not run your system full tilt all the time and throttles up when needed overall there is no decrease in performance.

I also noted that number of people lost power plans on one of the Windows autumn updates so that's more than likely why I don't see it on my system.

Time to go and spend it mapping as that is more constructive

Note to my self, stay away from the forums and if I do happen to look, just sit back and larf....

chimp_spanner

17 May 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 May 2018
EnochLight wrote:
17 May 2018

Nooooooooooo, because a power plan does not overclock your system, even in MS documenation they cover their ass with "might"
High performance - Maximizes screen brightness and might increase PC performance. This plan uses a lot more energy, so your laptop battery won't last as long between charges.
you can get a perceived increase in performance but really you are only getting your system to run normally, but having a plan that does not run your system full tilt all the time and throttles up when needed overall there is no decrease in performance.

I also noted that number of people lost power plans on one of the Windows autumn updates so that's more than likely why I don't see it on my system.

Time to go and spend it mapping as that is more constructive

Note to my self, stay away from the forums and if I do happen to look, just sit back and larf....
I don't think anyone was suggesting High Performance overclocks the system. It just prevents it from throttling down, but the act of throttling the CPU up and down while trying to render a tonne of instruments and effects in real time at a low buffer size can cause dropouts, crackles, glitches, etc. And if you look on the knowledge base for Ableton, Imageline, Steinberg, etc. etc. they will all recommend disabling CPU throttling. And on Windows that's done with power plans. So *shrugs*

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 May 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 May 2018
I don't think anyone was suggesting High Performance overclocks the system.
It does not increase or improve performance and hence to get one of those things leaves overclocking (or upgrading a number of other components ) and that was the point of that throw away comment.

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 May 2018
It just prevents it from throttling down, but the act of throttling the CPU up and down while trying to render a tonne of instruments and effects in real time at a low buffer size can cause dropouts, crackles, glitches, etc.
I don't get any of those issues because CPU throttling is not an instant thing (unless you have it tied back to temperature throttling but that's a different ball game) and it won't throttle down when you are in the middle of processing things and that is the real point, the power\performance is there when you need it.

EnochLight

17 May 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 May 2018
I don't think anyone was suggesting High Performance overclocks the system. It just prevents it from throttling down, but the act of throttling the CPU up and down while trying to render a tonne of instruments and effects in real time at a low buffer size can cause dropouts, crackles, glitches, etc. And if you look on the knowledge base for Ableton, Imageline, Steinberg, etc. etc. they will all recommend disabling CPU throttling. And on Windows that's done with power plans. So *shrugs*
Exactly. Why Carly is arguing these semantics is just mind boggling.

@Carly: you've done a tremendous service in the Nektar thread, and you're a valuable member of this forum, but come on, man.. you've been presented with video proof, you've been presented with plenty of use-case scenarios, and it's been explained a gazillion times. Swallow your pride and lets put this to bed.

chimp_spanner

17 May 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 May 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
17 May 2018
I don't think anyone was suggesting High Performance overclocks the system.
It does not increase or improve performance and hence to get one of those things leaves overclocking (or upgrading a number of other components ) and that was the point of that throw away comment.

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 May 2018
It just prevents it from throttling down, but the act of throttling the CPU up and down while trying to render a tonne of instruments and effects in real time at a low buffer size can cause dropouts, crackles, glitches, etc.
I don't get any of those issues because CPU throttling is not an instant thing (unless you have it tied back to temperature throttling but that's a different ball game) and it won't throttle down when you are in the middle of processing things and that is the real point, the power\performance is there when you need it.
When people say "improves performance" they don't mean "beyond the maximum". I think they mean up to the maximum. I mean whatever, it's not really important. All I know is that on both mine and my girlfriend's computer, DAW performance is better on High Performance (or in the case of Cubase, the Steinberg Power Plan, which I can only assume exists for a reason). There might be some other reason why it's beneficial to many users, and I'm sure the actual workings of it are interesting to people who know/care about it. But in any case it's clearly something worth trying when troubleshooting, regardless of how it works.

timoteo

21 May 2018

Thanks everyone for all of the responses. I really appreciate it. I upped the power profile from Balanced to Performance and the clicking and popping stops for a time. After a few hours into a session, it comes back. Restarting resets the issue. BTW... Disabling hyperthreading improved the "studdering" on this chip (8th gen i7). I will follow the optimize Win10 guide from Focusrite, tweak some more on the power settings and BIOS (bios changes scare me), and most likely go and buy an external interface (because I've bought new everything else, why stop now?). I want to be able to come dangerously close to melting the CPU by layering multiple instances of (insert favorite VST synth) in different octaves with Combinator. I do love Reason. The new player tools in Reason 10 are a great timesaver. All of the new sound sculpting effect devices are impressive. The granular sampler is awesome and reminds me of an old Reaktor ensemble I used to use for the poltergeist effect. The audio engine sounds excellent. Now if I could just make enough money to quit my day job, and live inside the machine...

• Information