(Poll) If you're not on Reason 10, do you plan to upgrade for 10.1?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

If you're not on Reason 10, do you plan to upgrade for 10.1?

Poll ended at 22 May 2018

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 49
Ahornberg

12 May 2018

If you're not on Reason 10, do you plan to upgrade for 10.1?

pushedbutton

12 May 2018

Not sure.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ahornberg

12 May 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
12 May 2018
Not sure.
Me too. I don't know if I need custom players.

motuscott

12 May 2018

The Kool Aid is super you flavored.
Step on in. WCPGW
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

12 May 2018

I think I've answered and asked the wrong questions.
Carry on
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mataya

12 May 2018

I just did the other day and found it to be smart move. I got a free player that is really useful for me and next upgrades with much needed improvements should be free for me. So why not now?
Grain is really cool, Europa is also cool, but I think I have enough synths.
New SDK for developers mean that they will show up with new ideas and I wanted to be able to try them out when they do.
Having those extra kicks and snares and stuff is also welcome if I already decided to pay for the options I mentioned above.

If u use Reason regularly I think can't go wrong.

m

future-bit

12 May 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

xylyx

12 May 2018

I did upgrade yesterday, mainly as I was debating between the Reason upgrade or getting Serum. Whilst Expanse might not be as good as Serum (not really played with it much yet), that and the free Drum Sequencer and Grain, plus the promise of improved VST performance later on, were enough to sway me.

Michaellos

12 May 2018

I didn't have any plans to update for R 10, but vst performance optimization in future updates looks tempting... so, I have not decided yet

madmacman

12 May 2018

Not sure

Waiting until May Madness (hoping for $99 upgrade offer) and will then decide...

strangers
Competition Winner

12 May 2018

Sticking with 9.5. The players seem convenient and useful for random things I probably wouldn't come up with to begin with. There's nothing I have to have now though. I'm already happy mapping drums in Reason's sequencer and always play my own chords and melodies, so no real pull for me there. The players would be nice for random occasions but wouldn't get much use to warrant upgrading. VST optimization would have been more enticing.

miscend

12 May 2018

Probably upgrade but more because I dont like being left behind.

NekujaK

12 May 2018

I purchased Reason 10 last fall because the price at jrrshop.com was too good to pass up (something like $84), but I never installed it...... until....... this week, when I upgraded to 10.1, only because I wanted to get the Drum Sequencer player while it's free. However, I'm still using 9.5 for all my existing projects - I learned long ago (in the most painful of ways) not to change horses in mid-stream.

In my spare time, I've been dabbling with 10.1 and checking out the new stuff. The very first thing I did was organize all my plugins into Favorite categories - this feature alone is worth the price of admission :) :thumbs_up: I'm not an EDM/techno kind of musician, so I didn't think Europa or Grain would be of much interest to me, but I gotta admit, they sound absolutely incredible! Far better than I expected, and they're very easy and fun to tweak. I even like the new rompler devices. Haven't tried any player devices yet.

I've been negative about the Reason 10 update ever since it was announced, because it seemed like the Props were ignoring important issues that desperately needed attention, and it didn't sound like 10 offered anything useful to me. But now I realize I was wrong :oops: The new devices sound amazing and open up a lot of new creative possibilities - and that's always a good thing. I'm still eagerly waiting for performance improvements, better VST integration, and sequencer enhancements, but in the meantime, there's a lot of good stuff to be had in 10. My hat's off to the Props!
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

EnGee

12 May 2018

Yes absolutely! Especially that I'm using Reason without VST support (mostly!). In that case, Europa, Grain and Drum Sequencer (now) would be the main reason. This is what I voted.

Now, if I use my VST/i plugins mainly (let's say in v9.5), then mostly it is "No"! Becuase I use Reason in the old way (as a workstation ReWired if needed to Cubase). Still the VST support comes handy if I want to use Reason as a DAW instead of Cubase for whatsoever reason!

Windows 10 with Reason Studio 12, Live Suite 11, Bitwig Studio 4, Studio One Pro v5 and Cubase 12 Pro

Oquasec

12 May 2018

Dabbled with cubase a few times but never finished tracks with it.
FL Studio, Reason or Ableton is when I started completing things.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pushedbutton

13 May 2018

OK, so I just ordered it. Not especially because I'm that impressed by the new features, more because I like boxes and stickers. I also got a decent deal where I could basically get a free cheap expression pedal and still have some change left over compared to the price of the download from the props site.
I am hopeful that 10.5 brings some workflow improvements.
This purchase is the last 'benefit of the doubt' purchase that I'll be indulging in with Propellerhead.
I'm sure I'll have some fun with the new player and sampling features but still, a bit meh. If this is the way things are going I probably won't be around for version 11.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

J96one

13 May 2018

I'm on 10 - but I just upgraded, so Yes must be my answer.

Lempface

13 May 2018

I upgraded for Europa and Grain, worth it for just that IMO. Great synths.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

abeonis

13 May 2018

No. I am still with 9.5.

I have noticed in this post:

"vst performance optimization in future updates looks tempting"
"VST optimization would have been more enticing."
" I'm still eagerly waiting for performance improvements, better VST integration,"

Seems I am not the only one asking Reason becomes a better VST host. Then I will upgrade at any cost.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

manuel radioact77

13 May 2018

Short answer: no.

I'm still on Reason 9.5.2.
I understand that the players can be useful (maybe) but similar to what others have stated above, my top priorities for Reason are:

1- General performance otimization CPU-wize.
2- VST optimization and better integration
3- A lot of other workflow improvements extensively and endlessly discussed in other topics.

4- Reason getting as RE, or na integrated device technology similar to Accusonus' Regroover 1.7 Pro.
(...)
4345 - Having new players (maybe)

Having said that, if Propellerheads finally deliver points 1 and 2, i'll defenetly upgrade.

Those are my 2 cents.

Peace. :)

Zac

13 May 2018

If i had the money to do it, yes. But then 10.0 would have made me upgrade.

I'm fortunate that i have an akai midi keys so i got r10lite and the drummer player 10.1 update for free. Well happy. But still desperate to get 10.1 proper to help with collabs and beating that 8 track limit. At least if i create something in r10.1 lite i now know a partner can open in r10 full. Just not a two way street obviously.

txh003

14 May 2018

No, not in the foreseeable future. I am still on version 7.1 of Reason, but have not used it for several years. If I do decide to upgrade, it will more than likely be a few years from now and at a later version (i.e., possibly Reason 12).

At the present time, I keep the following four DAWs actively up-to-date, which is more than enough in terms of options at this time:

1) Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite
2) MOTU Digital Performer 9.5
3) PreSonus Studio One 3.5 Professional
4) Steinberg Cubase 9.5 Pro

With that said, I do like the development direction Propellerhead has taken since being sold to investors. The updates have become more generous and, IMO, aligned to the expectations of the market. Furthermore, it seems that longstanding wishlist items are finally being addressed.

I plan to keep an eye on Reason's progress and root for it to succeed under the new investors. However, after owning Reason from versions 2 through 7 and having a strongly mixed customer experience, I want to see how things continue to unfold before I commit to purchasing a higher version.

If the ownership change did not materialize, my response would be a resounding negative to future upgrade purchases, but at least the option is presently under consideration as a result.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 May 2018

Holding off here with 9.5. Already having a big stable of REs, the new synths in 10.0 weren't mandatory for me, and I haven't really used the players enough since 9.0 to justify spending more on new ones.

tumar

15 May 2018

There would have to be huge improvements or briliant ideas to encourage me to upgrade - i.e new combinator, multi midi channels VST etc.
If not, I'll stay with 9.5, seems to be last Reason version I ever purchased.

diekehle

17 May 2018

I only will upgrade when some UI and workflows will be optimized. I don‘t care about new players or racks bundled. Reason needs an performnce and workflow update. There is a lot of possibilites for optimizing the UX and Performance of reason. And hey, still no MP3 export....

• Information