(Poll) If you're not on Reason 10, do you plan to upgrade for 10.1?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

If you're not on Reason 10, do you plan to upgrade for 10.1?

Poll ended at 22 May 2018

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 49
Michaellos

18 May 2018

What is important in Reason for me now - is better vst performance and further workflow enhancements. I guess that I don't really need new players, at least, those which are available now. So, after thinking for a while, I fell that I'm still happy with R 9.5.

madmacman

18 May 2018

Since Propellerhead did not provide a May Madness attractant by lowering upgrade fare to 99, I can now submit my vote: NO

tiker01

18 May 2018

Michaellos wrote:
18 May 2018
What is important in Reason for me now - is better vst performance and further workflow enhancements. I guess that I don't really need new players, at least, those which are available now. So, after thinking for a while, I fell that I'm still happy with R 9.5.
Just so you won't miss the Drum Sequencer (free if you get on 10.1 till the 31st of May) I would like to make you aware that Mattias (Product mngr. of Reason) explicitly said that they are working on a Reason 10 update, which targets VST performance. The update will come out most likely in Q3 and will be free for owners of 10.

I guess there will probably one more free update or they will add other features to the one which will bring better performance. I would not expect Reason 11 for roughly a year or more from now.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

madmacman

18 May 2018

tiker01 wrote:
18 May 2018
I guess there will probably one more free update or they will add other features to the one which will bring better performance. I would not expect Reason 11 for roughly a year or more from now.
Which absolutely fine, but not necessarily *the* reason to upgrade. If you make a living with music - sure! But a friend of mine (actually the one who brought me to Reason) still sticks with 7.1. And not for money reasons.

EnochLight

18 May 2018

madmacman wrote:
18 May 2018
tiker01 wrote:
18 May 2018
Which absolutely fine, but not necessarily *the* reason to upgrade. If you make a living with music - sure! But a friend of mine (actually the one who brought me to Reason) still sticks with 7.1. And not for money reasons.
I think tiker01 was trying to point out that the new Drum Sequencer player will no longer be free, or included with 10.1, after May 31. So right now, if one were to upgrade, you get that included which makes it a "better deal" than it will be throughout the end of 2018.

Anyway, a friend of mine upgraded to 10 just because of 10.1, and it wasn't for money reasons either. He only uses it recreationally and liked the new Player.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

18 May 2018

madmacman wrote:
18 May 2018
Since Propellerhead did not provide a May Madness attractant by lowering upgrade fare to 99, I can now submit my vote: NO
It's possible it will go down around Black Friday. But by then, you'll be a mere few months away from an R11 upgrade anyways.

It's also possible that the Drum Sequencer could be used as an incentive at another time as well. It was only on for 3 weeks, unlike Synchronous' 3 month freebie window.

stratatonic

18 May 2018

tiker01 wrote:
18 May 2018
Just so you won't miss the Drum Sequencer (free if you get on 10.1 till the 31st of May) I would like to make you aware that Mattias (Product mngr. of Reason) explicitly said that they are working on a Reason 10 update, which targets VST performance. The update will come out most likely in Q3 and will be free for owners of 10.
Where do you see that a fix will be ready by Q3?

And yes, it should be free! Reason has been dogging it since around the time REs were introduced, imo, it's more than just VST optimization.
I can understand user's concerns about a fix before they buy in. Reason used to be ultra compact and super efficient.

It would really be awesome if they could get it to that state again.

madmacman

18 May 2018

stratatonic wrote:
18 May 2018
It's also possible that the Drum Sequencer could be used as an incentive at another time as well. It was only on for 3 weeks, unlike Synchronous' 3 month freebie window.
I must confess: I'm annoyed! No, not because of the price drop of the upgrade not happening - it was more speculation rather than certainty.

No, it's the so-called "incentive". No question, the Drum Sequencer has its qualities. But at a steep price tag. And only this high price signals it as a high value item for free. Props could have set the price to $99 which would have been even more tempting as a freebie, but obviously they didn't dare to do so. And I doubt it will be a top-seller once it becomes a regular item in the shop at $69.

I'm tempted to buy Propulsion for $9 and stick with it for a long, long time...

EnochLight

18 May 2018

stratatonic wrote:
18 May 2018
tiker01 wrote:
18 May 2018
I would like to make you aware that Mattias (Product mngr. of Reason) explicitly said that they are working on a Reason 10 update, which targets VST performance. The update will come out most likely in Q3 and will be free for owners of 10.
The way it reads on the blog, it suggests "later this year."
“So, what about performance?” I hear you ask. We are aware of some performance issues with VSTs, and trust me, we’re working hard to adress them. Good news is it’s going really well! But it’s a complex project that requires lots of time for testing. I can’t give you a date at the moment, but this performance optimization will be available as a free update for all Reason 10 owners later this year.
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/reason-101-is-here
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Michaellos

18 May 2018

It is important to know, that VST 2 is coming to an end https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4727.html So, possibly one more Reason 10 upgrade later this year would be focused on VST 2 optimization - but VST 3 support and maybe some workflow enhancements - that might be something that R 11 would be about, and that means - 129 $ again. I know, that might happen only next spring, or even later next year, but... Is it necessary to upgrade to R 10 right now to get free Drum sequencer ? Not sure, I don't feel that i really need this player. Anyway, we, who are on earlier versions of R, have some days from now to upgrade, if we finally like :)

madmacman

19 May 2018

Michaellos wrote:
18 May 2018
It is important to know, that VST 2 is coming to an end https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4727.html So, possibly one more Reason 10 upgrade later this year would be focused on VST 2 optimization - but VST 3 support and maybe some workflow enhancements - that might be something that R 11 would be about, and that means - 129 $ again.
Well, in fact it's not that bad. I did read a little more about the Steinberg announcement today:

1. VST2 was discontinued back in 2013!
2. Until now VST2 was still part of the VST3 SDK and will now be removed.
3. Which means: Starting from October 2018 new developers will only have VST3 SDK
4. After this deadline all existing VST's are still working (of course)
5. Even Steinberg keeps compatibility with VST2 in Cubase (at least for a foreseeable future)

My conclusion: Even if it's a little odd that Propellerheads decided for the discontinued version of VST2, you are safe to use your existing plugins for a while. And there won't be any overnight "cut" when you only have VST3 as choice. In fact, you still can download lots of (legacy) VST 32bit stuff from the internet, even if it's a bit cumbersome to make it work with current DAW's.

I wouldn't be too worried! :)

Oquasec

19 May 2018

I think that means the vst2 plugins will still work but not be worked on any further.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Crumbfort

20 May 2018

Long time Reason user, first time registering with a Reason related forum.

I mainly use Reason rewired into Reaper nowadays, but I surely would love to use Reason more as an alternative DAW to get into that different headspace and workflow. I'm on 9.5 and I'll be holding back on upgrading until VST performance is improved. Some new workflow improvements would be brilliant as well. I own PSQ/Korde/Propulsion so I'm not feeling overly tempted by the new players as of yet, though they do look cool. Grain seems very cool, but for whatever reason it's not drawing me in.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

nooomy

21 May 2018

I would upgrade if the release midi out of vst. Until then no upgrade

madmacman

22 May 2018

BTW: Today was release of Presonus Studio One 4

And it's funny how similar forum reactions are on release day:

"underwhelmed"
"will skip this time"
"why didn't they implement XYZ?"

You get the idea! ;)

stratatonic

22 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
18 May 2018
stratatonic wrote:
18 May 2018

The way it reads on the blog, it suggests "later this year."
“So, what about performance?” I hear you ask. We are aware of some performance issues with VSTs, and trust me, we’re working hard to adress them. Good news is it’s going really well! But it’s a complex project that requires lots of time for testing. I can’t give you a date at the moment, but this performance optimization will be available as a free update for all Reason 10 owners later this year.
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/reason-101-is-here
That's all I had heard as well. Still not sure where this "Q3" came from...

stratatonic

22 May 2018

nooomy wrote:
21 May 2018
I would upgrade if the release midi out of vst. Until then no upgrade
I suppose that would negatively impact the new midi-based Players sales, so you won't see that until at least Reason 11.

ravisoni

22 May 2018

Bought Propulsion at $9 and a couple other niners at the MMS. Think it'll happily help me skip the $129 update. Looking fwd to what R11 brings.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

• Information