Mastering and clipping issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sqsw507

12 May 2018

Hello, recently I have been watching a lot of tutorials on Youtube about mastering, and I understand about overlapping frequencies and filters and about compressors.

Now I am baffled by a Demo Song that came with Reason 10 called "Airplane" by Carlstrom, because it sounds loud, and perfect, and there is absolutely no clipping over 0db, no matter how I turn up volume and equalizer channels on the kick drum and the bass tracks, and absolutely no compressors were used!

Does anyone know how this was achieved? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by sqsw507 on 12 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager

12 May 2018

Didn't have a look to this demo song but i'll guess, look at the mastering chain last device, the limiter.

sqsw507

12 May 2018

I have, the Dynamics are disabled for those tracks, there is only the Master Compressor at the very end, but deactivating it doesn't change anything, the sound is still perfect no matter what I change

antic604

12 May 2018

Well, actually Airplane is clipping quite hard, despite having MClass suite in Master Channel insert FX slot

selig
RE Developer

12 May 2018

sqsw507 wrote:I have, the Dynamics are disabled for those tracks, there is only the Master Compressor at the very end, but deactivating it doesn't change anything, the sound is still perfect no matter what I change
Look in the Master Insert section, and note the Maximizer limiter. This is what is controlling the final output and preventing clipping.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

sqsw507

12 May 2018

selig wrote:
12 May 2018

Look in the Master Insert section, and note the Maximizer limiter. This is what is controlling the final output and preventing clipping.
:)
Awesome, didn't find that before you mentioned it, thank you so much, that was driving me crazy!

selig
RE Developer

12 May 2018

antic604 wrote:Well, actually Airplane is clipping quite hard, despite having MClass suite in Master Channel insert FX slot
Weird, no clipping at all when I play it…hmmmmm.

Selig Audio, LLC

Voyager

12 May 2018

selig wrote:
12 May 2018

antic604 wrote:Well, actually Airplane is clipping quite hard, despite having MClass suite in Master Channel insert FX slot

No clipping as well.

antic604

12 May 2018

selig wrote:
12 May 2018
Yes, you're right - it started clipping when I bypassed the Insert FX on the Master, which only confirms it's the Maximiser (limiter) that's keeping it in check.

• Information