Audio Interfaces - is there a difference in sound

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jmax

11 May 2018

I've always been curious as to weather there is any difference say in using a PreSonus vs. Say a Babyface.

Is the sound 'colored' any differently etc?

I know it all depends on your audio settings. But say everything is set exactly the same. Would the actually audio output be exactly the same?
Or are interfaces a bit like EQ's that can give your audio a slightly different color?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

normen

11 May 2018

Yeah, most have a distinct linear distortion (i.e. "EQ") curve at least, they differ on each output as well (headphones, XLR, RCA etc.). It's mainly due to the analog circuitry, the AD/DA process is SO refined by now that there is absolutely no perceivable difference between AD/DA chips per se.

But only what you record through that interface ends up in your WAV master anyway - the sound of the output isn't in the bounce, the file is created digitally in the computers memory.

Edit: But really that has way less impact on the sound than you hitting the keys/strings/skins harder, breathing more or having a good day :)

Jmax

11 May 2018

Makes sense!

Kalm

12 May 2018

I have both a focusrite 6i6 and the presonus 🔥 studio project. Here’s what I have to say

Presonus FP embellishes a warmer chacteristic (whatever that means :roll: ... lol). But really, I can push the signal into the preamps slightly harder and the unit will be more forgiving than the focusrite. It saturated the high frequencies somewhat at higher signal levels.

As for the focusrite, it wants no overdrive. My 6i6 has a very transparent, sometimes harsher harmonic balance than my presonus. It’s not worst but more neutral sounding. Distortion happens fast though at clipping levels.

Personally, I prefer the sound of my Presonus. It sounds smoother than my Focusrite. I typically record at an input level of -12 dBFS. But literally 1 week ago I looked at the manual since I was packing... and noticed the +4 dBU reference level is set for -6 dBFS on the device.....

My 12c
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

drloop

12 May 2018

EDIT: I didnt read the question correct

How much will the DA change the sound?
Thats what I wanted to know some years ago.
I took an wav and recorded my soundcard. and then I made some edits switching between the recorded wav and the "analog destroyed" wav that have passed my ADDA (and in this case also passed thru a cheap Behringer mixer).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkfKZm9KT0GVlnvLkNlhR8nLIkIJ
It is hard to hear where the switch between the recordings are.

I have also reamped a rhodes piano thru three different preamps and three different ADs.
Art TubeMP preamp into a M-Audio 2496 PCI soundcard.
A Scarlett 2i4
And last using a Focusrite Twintrak preamp with built in AD.
Download and compare here.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkfKZm9KT0GVoj24u0PhAn6BIc4N

As a teaser I have a soundcloud file where I switch between the preamps in the recording.

I don´t worry to much about soundcards, most sound good and it is very hard to hear a difference between cheap and expensive soundcards. That goes for preamps too, hard to hear any difference.
Don´t worry, be happy and do your recording, the preamps and ADDA will not be the problem if a recording doesn´t sound ok. :)

deepndark

12 May 2018

In pre-amps and in a quality of oversampling in my REAL experience, but otherwise shouldn't be.

normen

12 May 2018

drloop wrote:
12 May 2018
Don´t worry, be happy and do your recording, the preamps and ADDA will not be the problem if a recording doesn´t sound ok. :)
This x1000, DON'T spend your money on a preamp or interface if you are unhappy with your sound. You will just be unhappy and poor :)

...there might be a short period where your subconscious still tries to convince you that shelling out that kind of money actually helped somewhat ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

12 May 2018

normen wrote:
12 May 2018
drloop wrote:
12 May 2018
This x1000, DON'T spend your money on a preamp or interface if you are unhappy with your sound. You will just be unhappy and poor :)

...there might be a short period where your subconscious still tries to convince you that shelling out that kind of money actually helped somewhat ;)
:lol:

drloop

13 May 2018

normen wrote:
12 May 2018
drloop wrote:
12 May 2018

And if a interface didnt help, why not try a house clock, that might do it. :)

motuscott

13 May 2018

My subconscious requires a full on Lamborghini purchase.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

marcuswitt

13 May 2018

drloop wrote:
13 May 2018
normen wrote:
12 May 2018

And if a interface didnt help, why not try a house clock, that might do it. :)
A ‘house clock’? No, no, no, no - Stop! Let’s not walk this way, please! It’s a yet another myth in the audio world that applying an external Clock Generator produces better sounding results in general. That’s simply not true, especially not in the recent days. If you want to interconnect several different audio devices via digital audio interfaces like AES/EBU, MADI, ADAT, etc. the use of an external (Word) Clock Generator can make sense in order to make sure that all edges of the transmitted signals are in phase, which helps to avoid technical problems and more or less audible artifacts. Nothing personal here, but if you would have given that advice of applying an external Clock source 15 - 20 years ago then I would have probably agreed with you. But nowadays this is not needed anymore as long as you get a modern audio interface. And look again at what Normen has written: it is highly likely that it’s not the interface that makes the OP feel that his sound is bad. 😉

normen

13 May 2018

marcuswitt wrote:
13 May 2018
A ‘house clock’? No, no, no, no - Stop! Let’s not walk this way, please! It’s a yet another myth in the audio world that applying an external Clock Generator produces better sounding results in general. That’s simply not true, especially not in the recent days. If you want to interconnect several different audio devices via digital audio interfaces like AES/EBU, MADI, ADAT, etc. the use of an external (Word) Clock Generator can make sense in order to make sure that all edges of the transmitted signals are in phase, which helps to avoid technical problems and more or less audible artifacts. Nothing personal here, but if you would have given that advice of applying an external Clock source 15 - 20 years ago then I would have probably agreed with you. But nowadays this is not needed anymore as long as you get a modern audio interface. And look again at what Normen has written: it is highly likely that it’s not the interface that makes the OP feel that his sound is bad. 😉
At the NDR they usually clock once on the house clock and then the single stations run on their own - gives better sync stability than actually running on the house clock ;) At least this was true like 10 years ago or something.

marcuswitt

13 May 2018

normen wrote:
13 May 2018
marcuswitt wrote:
13 May 2018
At the NDR they usually clock once on the house clock and then the single stations run on their own - gives better sync stability than actually running on the house clock ;) At least this was true like 10 years ago or something.
Exactly! House clock = reference clock for Word Clock devices running in ‘resolve’ or ‘slave’ mode, respectively. But like you’ve said, this was this was the case back in the days. Nowadays, many of the broadcast stations belonging to the ARD group tend to use AES67, which makes extra clock devices and clock distribution quite obsolete. Well, modern times, modern solutions. Yippie! 😉

jlgrimes

14 May 2018

There are differences but it is not as drastic as it used to be. Even fairly cheap interfaces now are nice sounding.

The difference may not be as big as you would expect.

RandyEspoda

14 May 2018

I have an Echo Mona and an M-audio delta 24/96 and thy sound very different. The Mona has much better AD/DA converters and a better signal-to-noise ratio, and sounds 'flatter' but more clear and transparent than the M-audio. M-audio's sound is a bit more hyped in the high-end, and sounds more smeared frequency-wise. I guess every interface has its distinct sound, just like headphones for instance.

jimmyklane

14 May 2018

Jmax wrote:
11 May 2018
I've always been curious as to weather there is any difference say in using a PreSonus vs. Say a Babyface.

Is the sound 'colored' any differently etc?

I know it all depends on your audio settings. But say everything is set exactly the same. Would the actually audio output be exactly the same?
Or are interfaces a bit like EQ's that can give your audio a slightly different color?

Between a Tascam or similar and something like a Burl? Absolutely....but any mid-priced converter system is going to have solid analog support systems for the A/D chip....and there are only 2-3 models used nowadays, excepting custom solutions like the Cranesong or DBX Type-4 conversion.

So, the difference between $1000 and $5000 is vanishingly small...even when running multiple A/D—>D/A—>A/D conversions like I do working with hardware.

EDIT: clocking matters. A master clock can take a decent interface and make it better...I’ve heard this in my own systems before
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

skie

14 May 2018

I just did a Black Lion Audio upgrade on my Focusrite Scarlett ($500). A lot of the work was on the front end but they also did a de-coupling procedure on the output side. IDK it does sound clearer and the first mix I did on it, I nailed after 2 passes (an alltime record for me). I don't know if it's coincidence that I'm getting better at mixing at the same time or if it was due to the upgrade, but my time spent mixing (testing on phone, car, mono hs5, etc) has been drastically reduced since doing this.

normen

14 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
14 May 2018
EDIT: clocking matters. A master clock can take a decent interface and make it better...I’ve heard this in my own systems before
It can make it different but certainly not better. The internal clock of an interface runs at the oversampling frequency and the word clock doesn't so theres a constant shift that has to be accounted for and (over)samples are inserted or dropped. So if by "better" you mean "more accurate" then that's simply not true.

It can of course change the sound to your liking - or the word clock can simply give you a better feeling after say sync issues in the past.

sublunar

14 May 2018

Some interfaces allow you to bypass the onboard preamps. I do this with my M-Track Eight. The one I tried before this (18i20 2nd gen) didn't have a true bypass. So the short answer is "yes".

• Information