Europa new modifier

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scratchnsnifff

11 May 2018

So I haven’t seen much talk about the two other features of Europa. Both are mad useful/musical

In europas engine modifier look at the bottom of the list. The option for formant was not available when Europa was released. The formant modifier really seems like they took bend - and formant modifiers from massive, and merged the 2. Try it out on a table that has a heavy mid ranged bass.(think skrillex growl) you
I am not sure why this wasn’t one of the big points made by anyone

But wait, there’s more!
In the harmonic generator for each engine, there is a mode called harmonic lag a-b

Leave the position at 50% and the amount to 65% (give or take depending on the sound)
Now at first you might think it does absolutely nothing. But you need to turn on the spectral filter and at first try it out with a low pass filter with high resonance. When you sweep the filter the sound sounds very vocoder-y

Both of these features are what has me geeked about this update and I havent seen much talk about them so I thought it was worth sharing :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

riemac

11 May 2018

Yes, I noticed this as well. I still hope they will add a modifier to change the phase of the waveform. This should not be that difficult.

scratchnsnifff

11 May 2018

riemac wrote:
11 May 2018
Yes, I noticed this as well. I still hope they will add a modifier to change the phase of the waveform. This should not be that difficult.
Would be dope to see modifiers and harmonic generators get additions with each update.

Even if they added one thing with each update Europa could become a super synth :D right now I place it in the ballpark of expanse and massive

A synth that can stand its ground with the bigger players but is fun to use. I’d like to see it evolve into a super deep synth though, maybe that’s a new project of its own but since they added the panels I’d like to see developers go off the deep end with features :D spectra very well did that

And this is an assumption about spectra but I’m pretty sure that was first announced 2 sdk’s ago lol so mad props to that dude and his team for wanting to push feature set and quality over just a hype release. I never mind if something takes time, as long as the end result is pleasing and in the case of Europa it definitely is

Loque

11 May 2018

Tbh, i did not had much time to have a deeper look. The lists felt longer, yes, but didn't looked into yet. Mainly checked the sample stuff and that is like Europa has Thors Hammer!
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

11 May 2018

Loque wrote:
11 May 2018
Tbh, i did not had much time to have a deeper look. The lists felt longer, yes, but didn't looked into yet. Mainly checked the sample stuff and that is like Europa has Thors Hammer!
I have been using Europa non stop since it’s release, so Besides the sample feature that was what I noticed first :D very much useful so far

EnochLight

11 May 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
11 May 2018
So I haven’t seen much talk about the two other features of Europa. Both are mad useful/musical

In europas engine modifier look at the bottom of the list. The option for formant was not available when Europa was released. The formant modifier really seems like they took bend - and formant modifiers from massive, and merged the 2. Try it out on a table that has a heavy mid ranged bass.(think skrillex growl) you
I am not sure why this wasn’t one of the big points made by anyone

But wait, there’s more!
In the harmonic generator for each engine, there is a mode called harmonic lag a-b

Leave the position at 50% and the amount to 65% (give or take depending on the sound)
Now at first you might think it does absolutely nothing. But you need to turn on the spectral filter and at first try it out with a low pass filter with high resonance. When you sweep the filter the sound sounds very vocoder-y

Both of these features are what has me geeked about this update and I havent seen much talk about them so I thought it was worth sharing :D
Nice find! ;)

Assorted musings: back in the day, we used to post song files giving an example of what we were trying to convey. It would be cool if you posted a song file automating a patch for people to see/hear.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

riemac

12 May 2018

I just noticed that in the FX section the knobs of the compressor are now labeld with real values. for example the Ratio 2:1, the trashold -12db and the Attack and Release in ms. This is great!

Has anybody noticed any other small improvements?
I doen't understand why doesn't Propellerhead announce this smale changes in the changelog.

miscend

12 May 2018

Make small tweaks to Europa without doing the same to the older synths. I'm sure they're a couple small things here and there they could add to Thor that wouldn't be difficult.

• Information