Is Europa on par with Serum...or even better?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pjeudy

11 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
11 May 2018
First, WTF triggered the #1-4?
Second, while you make few valid points in #5 there, it's not like one approach is the correct one and every other is wrong. Some people have the money, prefer to go off of presets and get inspired seeing different synths / effects with different workflows in their Rack. If you only have 3 synths and know every nook and cranny of how they work, then more power to you! I envy the dedication & self-control, honestly! But if you think you're better - person, producer? - because of that, then reconsider your view because it's most likely not true... Luckily the OP is much more mature than you it seems.
My response was directed to OP, have you considered that the OP received my gist as intended, since even OP mentioned that he had many cracked software in the past and the rest he completely agrees.

How can there only be one approach to making music? that's a silly thought. that's proves that you are simply jumping on the bandwagon and reading my post through the eyes of others , even OP didn't get the impression that I was telling him/her that there is only one way to produce.
The OP mentioned he/she having issues getting on with his/her work due to the shear amount of Synth at there disposal. I gave OP a clear basic generalized direction and told him/her to "blackout" from there (meaning go crazy experiment and discover)

Oh..it's the crack aspect of my post that has you agitated...OP detected the honesty of my post since he/she mentioned that yes they had loads loads crack VST in the past and now he/she is 100% legit. I made sure that I mentioned to OP and frankly to any one if they feel that it pertain to them.The results of being overwhelmed by Buying/pirating loads of software are the same.
I gave OP the benefit of doubt and phrased it to them....as Buying/PIRATING. Simply because I don't know OP.... so if OP is a pirate then he/she should read my post with that in mind...if OP doesn't pirate buys all of his/her Plugin then he/she should read my post with that in mind. what's hard to understand.

....Maybe some of you feel guilty about Crack VST's because...
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

EnochLight

11 May 2018

pjeudy wrote:
11 May 2018
Oh..it's the crack aspect of my post that has you agitated...OP detected the honesty of my post since he/she mentioned that yes they had loads loads crack VST in the past and now he/she is 100% legit. I made sure that I mentioned to OP and frankly to any one if they feel that it pertain to them.The results of being overwhelmed by Buying/pirating loads of software are the same.
I gave OP the benefit of doubt and phrased it to them....as Buying/PIRATING. Simply because I don't know OP.... so if OP is a pirate then he/she should read my post with that in mind...if OP doesn't pirate buys all of his/her Plugin then he/she should read my post with that in mind. what's hard to understand.

To be fair, I realize a lot is lost in translation when writing something, so perhaps you didn't intend it this way. But to be frank: you took the liberty of questioning the OP first if they bought their wares (which, come on man - that's sort of rude) and then self-righteously finger-wagged that pirating/cracked software is bad - insinuating the OP was guilty of doing so.

The fact that the OP later admitted that 20 years ago they may have used it is immaterial. That was 2 decades ago! You're equating a lucky guess (that isn't even relevant to the OP's actions today) with being "right".

I'm not trying to start anything, but I thought you'd like to know how you came off to literally everyone reading this thread, IMHO. :oops:

Cheers
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gritz

11 May 2018

I am old.

I have lived through the days of analogue and tape.

I have endeavoured to save a recording with a pencil and reels of tape eagerly attempting to spool back in to a cassette.

I have forgotten to press record

I have taped over a masterpiece

I have misted up windows of music shops and been thrown out as a teen playing the synths of the day... siel opera oh where are thou?

now technology is no longer a three course meal...drum machine synth sequencer... but an orgy of plugins and thousands of refills and 3rd party VSTs.

I am that whore who buys hoping to find that string sound, that bass sound that drum beat which will make my old heart flutter like the first time I heard ( ... fill in your own song...) through foam headphones and that bulky box on my belt.

you speak about people who pirate. we have all pirated. we have dreamt of owning yet stealing to live the dream. I can afford it now days... the samples of east west and those high end products still are out of my mental wallet range - and theres the rub... its not the price of the product its understanding what to do with it. yes you can make magic with a mono synth.. I lived on jen sx1000 a home made drum machine and a Tascam 4 track for years... but why should you? we don't need to stuff for our art - leave that to the guitarist - who then turn to you as the master of electronica and hope you can shake and bake a masterpiece for the band.

Loque

11 May 2018

Lot of discussion on pjeudys post than on the ordinal things of this post. Tbh, when i read his post I thought, wow... I feel guilty that i pay my stuff, support devs and support RE and not being a superstar. But than i thought, hey, i dont give i sh... to that post and go on. Its pjeudys thing to clear his karma. Mine is looking forward and come back, if the discussion here is back on the root.
Reason12, Win10

pjeudy

11 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
11 May 2018
To be fair, I realize a lot is lost in translation when writing something, so perhaps you didn't intend it this way. But to be frank: you took the liberty of questioning the OP first if they bought their wares (which, come on man - that's sort of rude) and then self-righteously finger-wagged that pirating/cracked software is bad - insinuating the OP was guilty of doing so.

The fact that the OP later admitted that 20 years ago they may have used it is immaterial. That was 2 decades ago! You're equating a lucky guess (that isn't even relevant to the OP's actions today) with being "right".

I'm not trying to start anything, but I thought you'd like to know how you came off to literally everyone reading this thread, IMHO. :oops:

Cheers
My first question was my first thought I asked OP. It was a hunch. Whether or not there was a possibility of it to be way off that's the purpose of asking a question.

From there everything posted to OP was directly related to his post.
Tons of Vsti doesn't equal making good music bought or pirated.... that relates to OP or anyone who this might pertain. That's finger wagging? it's common sense/good starting advice to focus on the few tools that u have and build on that as apposed to chasing the latest and greatest synth. When u feel u are ready for the next tool you'll know exactly why and what you are looking for. Do you still consider that advice finger wagging? Come on man I've read u give similar advice.
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

JerrelTheKing

11 May 2018

EdGrip wrote:
11 May 2018
Someone mentioned Serum having loads of presets available - as a properly stock Reason device, hopefully there will eventually be lots of refills available for Europa just as there are for Thor.
Yeah I'm really hoping for that too. I do little to no sound design behind tweaks but I keep refillers in business ( I bought over 10 s far for Antidote alone) so I'm looking forward to Europa refill developers to give me stuff to load up on..

sublunar

11 May 2018

So this probably doesn't mean much to anyone, but..

Europa is the first modern software synth I've actually truly enjoyed.

In the past, I've tried out many. Mostly VSTs that people raved about online. None really got me hooked. I'm more of a guitar/bass/drums kinda guy but I can appreciate a good sounding synth so I've always kept my eyes and ears out for one.

I own a Korg Minilogue and a Nord and maybe that influenced the fact that I was just never turned on to modern virtual synths. Those two have always been my default.

But I gotta say, Europa can do such a wide variety of sounds and it's so in your face and fun to use that when compared to the old stuff I had from Thor and other reason synths, it blew them out of the water. Europa sounds awesome and gets the job done FAST. I'm so glad Props included it in Reason because otherwise I likely never would have purchased it. I've had v10 since it came out and I've just recently started really going in depth with EU and I'm really liking what it's puttin down.

Disclaimer: I've never tried Serum.

pjeudy

11 May 2018

gritz wrote:
11 May 2018
you speak about people who pirate. we have all pirated. we have dreamt of owning yet stealing to live the dream..
Thanks for that statement..people got triggered from my first questions "did you buy your software" that they made up an entire scenario regarding my rest my answer to OP.

You mentioned " you speak about people who pirate" NO. I wrote about getting so many plugins that OP was still unable to find a way to make as he described "good music"
OP wrote a list of software instruments that he has and is still wondering about getting even more software instruments, at the same time saying that he's having a hard time getting the mind set to do make good music

it isn't the amount of software instruments that determines the way to make "good music" . If OP pirated or bought 2 software then he wouldn't have to ask if he should focus on just a couple of softwares.

But if he's buying loads of software and still not getting the results he wants then buying Serum or Europa probably won't help him. My post is not a referendum of piracy it self. ..relax guys go ahead and pirate I'm not coming for your softwares.

EnochLight

11 May 2018

pjeudy wrote:
11 May 2018
Tons of Vsti doesn't equal making good music bought or pirated.... that relates to OP or anyone who this might pertain. That's finger wagging?
Your words:
1. How did you get all those software? did you pay for them?

2. You say "I really wanna just make good music" Buying/pirating every synth that comes along has ZERO impact on your music being good.
Those were the first things you wrote in response to the OP. Why ask the OP how they got their plugins or if they paid for them at all? For number 2, why even include the word "pirating"?

I mean, it's no skin off my back - I don't even care. I just thought you might appreciate another set of eyes to understand why people seem to be accusing you of coming off like that.

Anyway, no worries. Rock on! :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

C//AZM

11 May 2018

You would have to realize that usually when you accuse someone of stealing with no reason, you're insulting them . He gave no indication or reason to assume he did. You assumed he was, what, too poor to have bought all of those synths so he must've been cracking them?

BS like this happens all the time in real life as well and I find that the person making the insult usually doesn't realize or seem to want to recognize that they could've acted in a better manner. Often their feelings or fears overtake their judgment. Often people imagine that everyone's situation is just like theirs.

.... alas, this is just a place on the internet and the entire ugly sentiment is off topic.

As far as the actual topic; I've been tooling around with Europa for a couple of weeks and I don't dare download the other waveforms till I'm proficient with what I have in front of me. With synths where I'm not familiar with the architecture, I usually dial up a preset, then dissect it to see how it was created, then alter it till it's something I like, save it then move to the next preset I like. After a sufficient time, I start creating my own from scratch. That's usually my approach with a new synth, learning by dissecting the presets of others and always trying crazy stuff.

pjeudy

11 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
11 May 2018
pjeudy wrote:
11 May 2018
Tons of Vsti doesn't equal making good music bought or pirated.... that relates to OP or anyone who this might pertain. That's finger wagging?
Your words:
1. How did you get all those software? did you pay for them?

2. You say "I really wanna just make good music" Buying/pirating every synth that comes along has ZERO impact on your music being good.
Those were the first things you wrote in response to the OP. Why ask the OP how they got their plugins or if they paid for them at all? For number 2, why even include the word "pirating"?

I mean, it's no skin off my back - I don't even care. I just thought you might appreciate another set of eyes to understand why people seem to be accusing you of coming off like that.

Anyway, no worries. Rock on! :thumbs_up:
Uh..so you see that I mentioned pirating but somehow miss that I wrote buying also? What ever side of the fence Op falls under I addressed both equally. Buying loads of software synth or pirating loads software synth will result in OP being in the same exact predicament of having a bunch of software with no real sense of, if he should keep buying more ...because there's hype behind it or just use the dozen of software he already has.

Asking OP if he bought all that he listed .sense it seemed like after spending almost a thousand dollars (because that's how much this synth listed would cost)....how he didn't realize that spending even more was not the way forward.....pirating synth is common place....that what got you excited and triggered? Really?

pjeudy

11 May 2018

C//AZM wrote:
11 May 2018
As far as the actual topic; I've been tooling around with Europa for a couple of weeks and I don't dare download the other waveforms till I'm proficient with what I have in front of me.
FYI : you are nowhere close to OP's topic.

esselfortium

11 May 2018

Okay, there was some solid advice in your initial post here, but pjeudy, please, there is a time when you need to stop digging a hole and lashing out from it. I don’t think you were in the wrong at all when you first posted, but you definitely are now that this thread has turned into you throwing a fit at everyone who didn’t like your post. You made your point, please move on.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

bxbrkrz

11 May 2018

Southgate wrote:
09 May 2018
I have Serum, Synthmaster One, ReSpire, Dune 2, Iris 2, Parsec 2, U-he synths, FM4 and a whole host of REs and Vsti. I am wondering...in a dizzy state...have we reached a synth Nirvana? Do I simply just concentrate on Europa and forget the rest? I'm p****d off learning synth after synth. I'd rather just master one synth...( I realize that each synth has it's own 'THANG' going on...

I really wanna just make good music...but spend my life looking for synths and functionality and, and, and...

...does that nonsense stop here? I hope so...

Sorry...but everything is soooo saturated...

Europa really is amazing. I might just have to draw the line and say..."let's master this one, if nothing else".
Have you ever owned a hardware workstation, a drum machine or sampler? Something cheap on eBay? I am asking because people get burned by the interface (mouse) faster than their computer's limitless power. You already OWN (not pirated) a lot. Maybe you should explore the Old Temple of Less

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

C//AZM

11 May 2018

NOT THE ASR-10!! arrrgggg

pjeudy

11 May 2018

esselfortium wrote:
11 May 2018
Okay, there was some solid advice in your initial post here, but pjeudy, please, there is a time when you need to stop digging a hole and lashing out from it. I don’t think you were in the wrong at all when you first posted, but you definitely are now that this thread has turned into you throwing a fit at everyone who didn’t like your post. You made your point, please move on.
Lashing out?...interesting how you phrase your post in a manner that leaves out the people who are corresponding to me on there own will.

EnochLight

11 May 2018

pjeudy wrote:
11 May 2018
....that what got you excited and triggered? Really?
Me? No. Like I said, I don't care. No skin off my back!

I was just trying to offer you insight of why it was interpreted the way that you've been accused, though, since you don't seem to understand how it was interpreted like that.

EnochLight

11 May 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
11 May 2018
Have you ever owned a hardware workstation, a drum machine or sampler? Something cheap on eBay?
Hooooooooooooooly crap - my old workstations! I used to love my ASR-10 and EPS 16+, though they certainly weren't bought cheap on eBay. More like $2000 USD in 1990-1992 dollars. :redface: :puf_unhappy: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did end up selling them on eBay back in the early 2000's though (literally right after Reason 1.0 came out). I was able to net a pretty good profit for them, though I lost some money on the bundle (I also gave away a spare motherboard for the ASR10 as well as a SCSI CD-ROM and SCSI ZIP drive).

bxbrkrz

11 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
11 May 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
11 May 2018
Have you ever owned a hardware workstation, a drum machine or sampler? Something cheap on eBay?
Hooooooooooooooly crap - my old workstations! I used to love my ASR-10 and EPS 16+, though they certainly weren't bought cheap on eBay. More like $2000 USD in 1990-1992 dollars. :redface: :puf_unhappy: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did end up selling them on eBay back in the early 2000's though (literally right after Reason 1.0 came out). I was able to net a pretty good profit for them, though I lost some money on the bundle (I also gave away a spare motherboard for the ASR10 as well as a SCSI CD-ROM and SCSI ZIP drive).
Rewiring your brain, slowing down the process may be a good thing for some people, just by exploring a way to get somewhere. Then you can always bounce back to Reason.
Yeah they are not cheap, and the ASR-10 with the purple LCD upgrade looks badass.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

C//AZM

11 May 2018

Southgate wrote:
09 May 2018
I have Serum, Synthmaster One, ReSpire, Dune 2, Iris 2, Parsec 2, U-he synths, FM4 and a whole host of REs and Vsti. I am wondering...in a dizzy state...have we reached a synth Nirvana? Do I simply just concentrate on Europa and forget the rest? I'm p****d off learning synth after synth. I'd rather just master one synth...( I realize that each synth has it's own 'THANG' going on...

I really wanna just make good music...but spend my life looking for synths and functionality and, and, and...

Europa really is amazing. I might just have to draw the line and say..."let's master this one, if nothing else".
A good friend of mine who has worked with most of the biggest names in R&B has had just about every hardware synth besides the big modular sets. He uses 90% presets and he says he never has the time to learn all of his synths before there's a new tour and new sponsorship and racks of new/free gear. Recently he's been spending time at home and he is diving into synthesizer study and theory. His instructor buddy had him using a Nord (Modular?) and an old Juno. He was amazed at how much he can get out of a couple of synths, and how the most familiar subtracted sounds were created. This guy is a monster player and deeply proficient in several music styles but he never really got into programming. You aren't alone. Prince used mostly presets through his most popular eras.

IMHO, Just stick with that single synth until you get to the point that you're comfortable with creating your own sounds and identifying how any sound was created. Act as if you only have the one synth, then after you get it, move on to the another.

Southgate

11 May 2018

pjeudy wrote:
11 May 2018
antic604 wrote:
11 May 2018
First, WTF triggered the #1-4?
Second, while you make few valid points in #5 there, it's not like one approach is the correct one and every other is wrong. Some people have the money, prefer to go off of presets and get inspired seeing different synths / effects with different workflows in their Rack. If you only have 3 synths and know every nook and cranny of how they work, then more power to you! I envy the dedication & self-control, honestly! But if you think you're better - person, producer? - because of that, then reconsider your view because it's most likely not true... Luckily the OP is much more mature than you it seems.
My response was directed to OP, have you considered that the OP received my gist as intended, since even OP mentioned that he had many cracked software in the past and the rest he completely agrees.

How can there only be one approach to making music? that's a silly thought. that's proves that you are simply jumping on the bandwagon and reading my post through the eyes of others , even OP didn't get the impression that I was telling him/her that there is only one way to produce.
The OP mentioned he/she having issues getting on with his/her work due to the shear amount of Synth at there disposal. I gave OP a clear basic generalized direction and told him/her to "blackout" from there (meaning go crazy experiment and discover)

Sorry to get back late to the debate...I have been working and earning money to PAY for my software!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would like to point out that this debate isn't really what it was intended as...

I'd also like to point out the fact that, I haven't stated anwhere that I had cracked VSTi. What I actually said was... "to be honest (When I was broke as hell) I may have had a few cracked pieces of software"...nor did that amount to 'Loads and loads'.

All of that stuff aside....(geeese)!

Take it easy with each other. You all have points of view. It's easy to get passionate about things that we care about or hold dear...

I have not taken anything personal and I thank you ALL for the debate...

Peace peoples...

S

Southgate

11 May 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
11 May 2018
Southgate wrote:
09 May 2018

Have you ever owned a hardware workstation, a drum machine or sampler? Something cheap on eBay? I am asking because people get burned by the interface (mouse) faster than their computer's limitless power. You already OWN (not pirated) a lot. Maybe you should explore the Old Temple of Less

My hardware adventures amounted to: Kawai R-100 drum machine, Akai S1000 Sampler and an E-MU Orbit controlled with a Evolution 2 Octave Midi controller and an Alesis quadraverb. I was into rack mounted stuff I guess! :lol:
Last edited by Southgate on 11 May 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Southgate

11 May 2018

gritz wrote:
11 May 2018
I am old.

I have endeavoured to save a recording with a pencil and reels of tape eagerly attempting to spool back in to a cassette.

I have misted up windows of music shops and been thrown out as a teen playing the synths of the day... siel opera oh where are thou?

now technology is no longer a three course meal...drum machine synth sequencer... but an orgy of plugins and thousands of refills and 3rd party VSTs.

I am that whore who buys hoping to find that string sound, that bass sound that drum beat which will make my old heart flutter like the first time I heard ( ... fill in your own song...) through foam headphones and that bulky box on my belt.

you speak about people who pirate. we have all pirated. we have dreamt of owning yet stealing to live the dream. I can afford it now days... the samples of east west and those high end products still are out of my mental wallet range - and theres the rub... its not the price of the product its understanding what to do with it. yes you can make magic with a mono synth.. I lived on jen sx1000 a home made drum machine and a Tascam 4 track for years... but why should you? we don't need to stuff for our art - leave that to the guitarist - who then turn to you as the master of electronica and hope you can shake and bake a masterpiece for the band.
My sort of experience...back then anyway :lol:

Loque

11 May 2018

gritz wrote:
11 May 2018

Is there a VST emulation out there? With enuf vintage flavor? Some kind of real-live-analog-stuff? I would pay for it...
Reason12, Win10

pjeudy

11 May 2018

Southgate wrote:
11 May 2018
I have not taken anything personal
S
^^ :thumbs_up: ^^

• Information