Is Europa on par with Serum...or even better?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

23 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
EnochLight wrote:
22 Mar 2019

That video is like 1 & 1/2 years old, but thanks for sharing! :)
Really? It showed up on Props' blog 2 days ago. Must've missed it the first time :oops:

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog
They've been reposting old stuff on their blog lately.

antic604

23 Mar 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
23 Mar 2019
antic604 wrote:
22 Mar 2019

Really? It showed up on Props' blog 2 days ago. Must've missed it the first time :oops:

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog
They've been reposting old stuff on their blog lately.
Yeah, I'm aware of it but this particular one was the first I never saw before, therefore I thought it was new :)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2019

miscend wrote:
aeox wrote:
09 May 2018
You can't load wavetables into those synths though. That's why Serum and eXpanse are so good because you can FM with wavetables.
It’s a poor mans FM with very few operators and not much flexibility. FM synthesis is pretty limitless you can create very complex waveforms with it.
Depends if you think about a pure FM synth inspired on Dx7 or if you think about FM in the context of a hybrid approach. It's an extra way to transform your sound 8n the wavetable synth.

If you want the first then you need to go to px7 or for more versatility you'd have to go to Zero. When sample loading came to the expanse it also got into zero so now you can have FM with sample loading.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

adfielding

26 Mar 2019

Soeno wrote:
23 Mar 2019
some guitarists use a lot of guitars - where is the problem?
I know it's different for everyone, but I personally find that an over-abundance of choice can be creatively paralysing. I still use a ton of REs and VSTs, but every now and then I have to scale things back a bit to stop myself being paralysed by choice.

Oberlai

27 Mar 2019

This is a personal opinion of course, I think Serum has twice more depth than Europa, I think Serum can compete with Europa + all effects in stock Reason combined, actually. Serum is more intuitive, better LFO and envelopes, which is really important to me, and WAY more filters, I love to try out different ones. It's great to have MANY options. Not all agree with that one, but for me it works -- it's better to have it and not use it, than needing something you don't have.

Where's snap-to-grid in Europa? Why is the grid even there? Where's Reset curves?

Europa is a great synth! But it's nobody's go-to.

sleep1979

27 Mar 2019

Oberlai wrote:
27 Mar 2019
I think Serum has twice more depth than Europa, I think Serum can compete with Europa + all effects in stock Reason combined, actually. Serum is more intuitive, better LFO and envelopes, which is really important to me, and WAY more filters, I love to try out different ones. It's great to have MANY options. Not all agree with that one, but for me it works, it's better to have it and not use it, than needing something you don't have.

But I'm not saying Europa is useless, no, it is a great synth, but I seriously doubt it's many people's go-to.
Uploads all the wavetables serum can , when I uploaded some juno wavetables into it the thing became a whole lot more interesting to me , serum has a better name and colour scheme and overall look though and in this world of judgmental looks , that undoubtedly is a factor , saying that it maybe can do more , but europa has the power to upload wavetables and become almost any synth like serum does ( im just getting into europa ) , i think they should make europa skinnable though the red look is bloody cheap and ugly looking

scratchnsnifff

27 Mar 2019

mcatalao wrote:
24 Mar 2019
miscend wrote: It’s a poor mans FM with very few operators and not much flexibility. FM synthesis is pretty limitless you can create very complex waveforms with it.
Depends if you think about a pure FM synth inspired on Dx7 or if you think about FM in the context of a hybrid approach. It's an extra way to transform your sound 8n the wavetable synth.

If you want the first then you need to go to px7 or for more versatility you'd have to go to Zero. When sample loading came to the expanse it also got into zero so now you can have FM with sample loading.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
This is half correct. Expanse definitely has sample loading and Oscillator FM from other oscillators. However zero does not have sample loading. Zero however did get an update that let zeros additive editor recreate the VS waveforms from its oscillator section. I always did wish that zero had samples or wavetables, but now that expanse has it I don’t use zero unless I need a crazy 6 operator FM sound
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

27 Mar 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
27 Mar 2019
I always did wish that zero had samples or wavetables
temphqdefault.jpg
temphqdefault.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

27 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Mar 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
27 Mar 2019
I always did wish that zero had samples or wavetables
temphqdefault.jpg
That image is a even more suitable in the case of blamsoft releasing anything RE related lol
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

sleep1979

28 Mar 2019

adfielding wrote:
26 Mar 2019
Soeno wrote:
23 Mar 2019
I know it's different for everyone, but I personally find that an over-abundance of choice can be creatively paralysing. I still use a ton of REs and VSTs, but every now and then I have to scale things back a bit to stop myself being paralysed by choice.
Its 100 percent true adam for me also , you can spend hours preset searching , or switching back between instruments .

if you only have limited choice your forced to go with something arent you , maybe change it after but but that point your moving

jlgrimes

28 Mar 2019

Southgate wrote:
09 May 2018
I have Serum, Synthmaster One, ReSpire, Dune 2, Iris 2, Parsec 2, U-he synths, FM4 and a whole host of REs and Vsti. I am wondering...in a dizzy state...have we reached a synth Nirvana? Do I simply just concentrate on Europa and forget the rest? I'm p****d off learning synth after synth. I'd rather just master one synth...( I realize that each synth has it's own 'THANG' going on...

I really wanna just make good music...but spend my life looking for synths and functionality and, and, and...

...does that nonsense stop here? I hope so...

Sorry...but everything is soooo saturated...

Europa really is amazing. I might just have to draw the line and say..."let's master this one, if nothing else".
Europa is Serum like but has its strengths/weaknesses compared to Serum.

IMO it is a great workhorse synth which means it would be very rewarding to learn it.

In terms of Wavetables, it is probably not as strong as Serum but with its Harmonic filters and dynamic wavetables, it can do some things Serum cant.

It has a different sound as well. It is a very CPU light synth which makes it better for layering and using multiple instances to achieve fatness although it is pretty phat in one instance.

I personally like the sound of Europa better as it seems dirtier but in a good way. Serum can be very sterile without proper programming.

two shoes

31 Mar 2019

Oberlai wrote:
27 Mar 2019
This is a personal opinion of course, I think Serum has twice more depth than Europa, I think Serum can compete with Europa + all effects in stock Reason combined, actually. Serum is more intuitive, better LFO and envelopes, which is really important to me, and WAY more filters, I love to try out different ones. It's great to have MANY options. Not all agree with that one, but for me it works -- it's better to have it and not use it, than needing something you don't have.

Where's snap-to-grid in Europa? Why is the grid even there? Where's Reset curves?

I think I remember Adam Fielding saying Europa has been his go-to recently in one of his videos and he's quite the advanced user. I never got too deep into Serum just because I hate the gui - while it's a great synth I feel like a lot of people ended up using it the same way many people used to end up using Pro Tools for bedroom production - they read over and over on the internet that it was the best, the "industry standard", and that became their opinion as well without any real research into other options and their strengths and weaknesses relative to Pro Tools/Serum - in most cases these same people get emotionally invested in their new choice of DAW/synth too and will defend it tirelessly to internet strangers.

I'm not saying Serum isn't a great synth - it's very versatile and powerful if a bit uninspiring (for me) - but it's starting to show its age now and there's a whole crop of newer super synths like Dune 3, Pigments, Europa and Expanse that surpass it in many ways as well a few of its contemporaries like Omnisphere, Spire, and Sylenth that were always better for certain things. One advantage Serum does have over any other synth out there is the volume of quality presets and tutorials for it that are freely available.

Oquasec

31 Mar 2019

Whoops wrong thread
Last edited by Oquasec on 31 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

31 Mar 2019

Oquasec wrote:
31 Mar 2019
Wow that was a big deal. Reason goes down to 16 sample latency now on good machines.
That was not a small patchfix that was a total rewrite for modern hardware.
"16 sample latency"?

Curious - are you purposely making things up, or are you genuinely confused? :roll:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kitekrazy

31 Mar 2019

Soeno wrote:
23 Mar 2019
Those aren't the high level players. I think it's the same with big name producers. They maybe use fewer plugins and sometimes fewer tracks.

kitekrazy

31 Mar 2019

two shoes wrote:
31 Mar 2019
Oberlai wrote:
27 Mar 2019

I think I remember Adam Fielding saying Europa has been his go-to recently in one of his videos and he's quite the advanced user. I never got too deep into Serum just because I hate the gui - while it's a great synth I feel like a lot of people ended up using it the same way many people used to end up using Pro Tools for bedroom production - they read over and over on the internet that it was the best, the "industry standard", and that became their opinion as well without any real research into other options and their strengths and weaknesses relative to Pro Tools/Serum - in most cases these same people get emotionally invested in their new choice of DAW/synth too and will defend it tirelessly to internet strangers.

I'm not saying Serum isn't a great synth - it's very versatile and powerful if a bit uninspiring (for me) - but it's starting to show its age now and there's a whole crop of newer super synths like Dune 3, Pigments, Europa and Expanse that surpass it in many ways as well a few of its contemporaries like Omnisphere, Spire, and Sylenth that were always better for certain things. One advantage Serum does have over any other synth out there is the volume of quality presets and tutorials for it that are freely available.
I've stopped buying synths. I have a backlog of learning how to use them. Live and Reason just added more to the pile or forever to be a preset junkie.

Soeno

31 Mar 2019

Europa is ok, i would not pay 150 for this, Serum is (was) worth the money

Reasonable man

31 Mar 2019

The thing about Europa is you dont have to take the massive cpu hit the others give you so when it comes to building a track its your friend.... in a way serum or expanse could never be

reddust

01 Apr 2019

kitekrazy wrote:
31 Mar 2019
Soeno wrote:
23 Mar 2019
Those aren't the high level players. I think it's the same with big name producers. They maybe use fewer plugins and sometimes fewer tracks.

• Information