Where Do People Start?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WongoTheSane

06 May 2018

For EDM, I almost always start by browsing patches until I find one I like (generally a busy one, like a big bass or pad); then I try to find/create the patch that creates the most contrast with it (tiny bells, whiny square wave, lamenting flute) and that's enough to get things going. The rest just unfolds naturally.

When I don''t: Grain. Stack up a couple of instances, weird rhythms on each, and you got a stew going.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

NekujaK wrote:
06 May 2018
Runner2x wrote:
06 May 2018

Normen explicitly says that writing different music requires different skill sets while you claim to rely on reference tracks for skeletal structure. I think you might be confused which is why I said skeletal structure is a cupcake.
Writing and producing are two separate things. You can WRITE any piece of music with just a piano and a tin can. After it's written, PRODUCTION molds it into its final state with full instrumentation, effects, etc.

It's perfectly valid to copy structures from reference tracks to create a composition. How the final piece will sound is a different skill.
Indeed. The line between composition and production/sound design can be quite blurry to my mind. I agree about being able to write any piece with a piano, but what about pitch bends and stuff? Does that count as composition?

For the record , I never said I rely on reference tracks for skeletal structure. I've done it plenty of times, that's how I learned a little about structuring songs. :thumbs_up:

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

A few years ago there was a 5-minute Reason composition competition a few years ago (all of which were screen captured). Might be worth taking a look at different people's creative processes. Just search for "reason 5 minute challenge".

Creativemind

06 May 2018

avasopht wrote:
06 May 2018
A few years ago there was a 5-minute Reason composition competition a few years ago (all of which were screen captured). Might be worth taking a look at different people's creative processes. Just search for "reason 5 minute challenge".
Thank you. Sounds intriguing that.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

Creativemind wrote:
06 May 2018
avasopht wrote:
06 May 2018
Thank you. Sounds intriguing that.
I just watched a few myself. It's really interesting to see how other people work!

NekujaK

06 May 2018

A few years back, I challenged myself to write/record one song a day, for a month. It was one of the most valuable and rewarding writing/producing experiences I've had. The parameters were simple:

- Spend no more than 1 hour on each song
- No limitations in genre or style
- Each day, send the finished track to friends, to ensure I was trying to make something "listenable"
- Don't repeat myself

Not only did this exercise teach me to work faster and focus on what's important, but it stretched my creativity way beyond my expectations. Having to come up with a new musical idea every day forced me to venture outside my comfort zone into unfamiliar musical territory, sometimes using unfamiliar instruments.

I highly recommend it :)
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

NekujaK

06 May 2018

aeox wrote:
06 May 2018
I agree about being able to write any piece with a piano, but what about pitch bends and stuff? Does that count as composition?
That depends on how critical the pitch bend is to the song. If it's a really important element, use a synth instead of a piano to write the song.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

NekujaK wrote:
06 May 2018
A few years back, I challenged myself to write/record one song a day, for a month. It was one of the most valuable and rewarding writing/producing experiences I've had. The parameters were simple:

- Spend no more than 1 hour on each song
- No limitations in genre or style
- Each day, send the finished track to friends, to ensure I was trying to make something "listenable"
- Don't repeat myself

Not only did this exercise teach me to work faster and focus on what's important, but it stretched my creativity way beyond my expectations. Having to come up with a new musical idea every day forced me to venture outside my comfort zone into unfamiliar musical territory, sometimes using unfamiliar instruments.

I highly recommend it :)
Brilliant exercise!

normen

06 May 2018

aeox wrote:
06 May 2018
normen wrote:
06 May 2018
You can't do every type of music just by ear.
Any examples?
Any examples of people writing actual functional music and not just some working chord progression without having an idea of what they are doing? :)

I mean do you think you personally can do proper functional film music where the director says "not tense enough!" "more love!" just by ear? Even if you had more time than the usual suspects? Nah, you'd either have your own set of experience what chord progressions or scales or whatever you constructed in your head to keep it all together work for that and use it - or you'd simply know about different styles of music and their functions. And it doesn't matter if you call it "X Phat Elphantinor" - you could have learned about "B Flat Minor" from others :) Of course you CAN do a 60 minute Opera by ear - the question is if it will make any sense or if it will just be something that sounds like an Opera for 60 minutes ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

normen wrote:
06 May 2018
aeox wrote:
06 May 2018

Any examples?
Any examples of people writing actual functional music and not just some working chord progression without having an idea of what they are doing? :)

I mean do you think you personally can do proper functional film music where the director says "not tense enough!" "more love!" just by ear? Even if you had more time than the usual suspects? Nah, you'd either have your own set of experience what chord progressions or scales or whatever you constructed in your head to keep it all together work for that and use it - or you'd simply know about different styles of music and their functions. And it doesn't matter if you call it "X Phat Elphantinor" - you could have learned about "B Flat Minor" from others :) Of course you CAN do a 60 minute Opera by ear - the question is if it will make any sense or if it will just be something that sounds like an Opera for 60 minutes ;)
I guess to write functional music, they would have to know music theory. Not necessarily the names of chords or anything like that. Just be able to observe the relationships between chords and what not.

So let me rephrase what I said a little bit. I think it's a misconception that you need to be taught music theory formally It's really something you can learn all on your own.
Edit:And by all on your own I mean without videos or books or anything to aid you. Trying to be taught music theory by others only confused me personally. I had to do the discovering myself.

I brought this up in the first place because I remember a while back, the OP said he wanted to take music classes to learn theory and all that.
Last edited by aeox on 06 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Zac

06 May 2018

How this got so serious without any acknowledgement of my cock joke I'll never know. Standards have fallen obviously. Tut tut. For shame.

Runner2x

06 May 2018

Zac wrote:
06 May 2018
How this got so serious without any acknowledgement of my cock joke I'll never know. Standards have fallen obviously. Tut tut. For shame.
I thought it was great. Too busy stroking myself at the time. We need to bring the like button back.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

Zac wrote:
06 May 2018
You were overshadowed in the moment because I was getting passive-aggressively scolded by Runner2x at the time.

Runner2x

06 May 2018

aeox wrote:
06 May 2018
You were overshadowed in the moment because I was getting passive-aggressively scolded by Runner2x at the time.
I don't think you know what that means. You might have some kind of God complex e.g. too good for music theory, don't need studio monitors, can do anything, etc. It's just sound waves right? :lol:

Zac

06 May 2018

Edited
Last edited by Zac on 09 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Zac

06 May 2018

Runner2x wrote:
06 May 2018
aeox wrote:
06 May 2018
I don't think you know what that means. You might have some kind of God complex e.g. too good for music theory, don't need studio monitors, can do anything, etc. It's just sound waves right? :lol:
It hurts Dave. Where? Everywhere.

Runner2x

06 May 2018

Zac wrote:
06 May 2018
Ok. Glad you rectify... um no that's not it. Substantiate.... no... classify... err. Glad you have nuff respek now be lovely to each others please.
It is all very self-absorbed. Some people get frantic about the Reason sound or the Propellerhead team kicking back at the office all day drinking piña coladas. I enjoy a little engagement about music production theory - something of substance that actually matters in this field. Pass the rum please.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

Runner2x wrote:
06 May 2018
aeox wrote:
06 May 2018
See what I mean?

I don't know if there is a point you're trying to make with all this non-sense or not. I'm just giving the guy my personal opinion, just like everyone else here. Sometimes it's nice to be engaged in intelligent and civil discussion with people rather than constantly throwing shade and literally getting no where with your words.

Runner2x

06 May 2018

aeox wrote:
06 May 2018
See what I mean?

I don't know if there is a point you're trying to make with all this non-sense or not. I'm just giving the guy my personal opinion, just like everyone else here. Sometimes it's nice to be engaged in intelligent and civil discussion with people rather than constantly throwing shade and literally getting no where with your words.
That is the most passive aggressive post I've ever seen around these parts. Maybe you accuse me of that due to self conflict? Let me show you the dark side of The Force!

Since you claim to be oblivious to my point: Jumping into functional music by ear isn't feasible because time, experience and knowledge is required.

Zac

06 May 2018

Your productions sound great aeox and runner2x. I marvel and wonder. I hope there's still room for lesser mortals such as me and others that can still cast an opinion without being versed in all that makes music good?

Runner2x

06 May 2018

Zac wrote:
06 May 2018
Your productions sound great aeox and runner2x. I marvel and wonder. I hope there's still room for lesser mortals such as me and others that can still cast an opinion without being versed in all that makes music good?
Thanks! I'm just obsessive and don't have much. Interestingly, I had a good time messing with projects from both of you recently. Aeox might put me on the ignore list now though because I like it rough. I did buy one of your albums at some point Zac. There's a time and place for everything I suppose. :)

Zac

06 May 2018

Runner2x wrote:
06 May 2018
Zac wrote:
06 May 2018
Thanks! I'm just obsessive and don't have much. Interestingly, I had a good time messing with projects from both of you recently. Aeox might put me on the ignore list now though because I like it rough. I did buy one of your albums at some point Zac. There's a time and place for everything I suppose. :)
Yeah i know. And it kills me that i haven't even heard all of your album yet. So guilty. I don't know what to say. I know it will make me feel rubbish in comparison. That's my excuse.

Runner2x

06 May 2018

Zac wrote:
06 May 2018
Runner2x wrote:
06 May 2018

Yeah i know. And it kills me that i haven't even heard all of your album yet. So guilty. I don't know what to say. I know it will make me feel rubbish in comparison. That's my excuse.
Oh I don't have expectations for that aspect anymore. The project actually made me feel rubbish because I had an ulterior motive. I just wanted something in the weird, alternative realm before progressing into a dark and dreary place. Somebody in the thread mentioned highlighting the Lydian mode and it reminded me I did a lot of Phrygian mode last year.

Zac

06 May 2018

Runner2x wrote:
06 May 2018
Zac wrote:
06 May 2018

Oh I don't have expectations for that aspect anymore. The project actually made me feel rubbish because I had an ulterior motive. I just wanted something in the weird, alternative realm before progressing into a dark and dreary place. Somebody in the thread mentioned highlighting the Lydian mode and it reminded me I did a lot of Phrygian mode last year.
I hope you're not talking about the May Day10 project because me and my sister and 10 yr old niece love it. They are relying on you to give me reason to keep trying...

Runner2x

06 May 2018

Zac wrote:
06 May 2018
Runner2x wrote:
06 May 2018

I hope you're not talking about the May Day10 project because me and my sister and 10 yr old niece love it. They are relying on you to give me reason to keep trying...
Oh no of course not! That was a fun project. I'm going to a cold and more atmospheric place in my personal production these days. I'll be around to tinker with something or give feedback. :)

• Information