Reason 10.1 - New Players + Europa Sample Import - Out Now!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

08 May 2018

JerrelTheKing wrote:
08 May 2018
so the drum sequencer is going to be $69.. sigh
It's free for all 10.x users until May 31. If you're on an earlier version, you're getting a lot more than just the Drum Sequencer though if you upgrade.
phasewash wrote:
08 May 2018
Could anybody tell me if the drum seq player is also free for reason intro users? Thanks.
That's a fantastic question! I'd bounce it off of Props - let us know what you find out!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kefkekeyser

08 May 2018

buddard wrote:
08 May 2018
mataya wrote:
08 May 2018
Hi,

I really have no intentions to be rude or something like that. I'm just trying to figure out, what is the benefit of having this device as a player as oppose to standard RE you already have in the shop.
The only thing that comes to my mind is no cabling? I enjoy that making cable connections actually. Is there something about stacking different players? Because "stacking" Re's is also possible in different kind of ways. I'm just struggling in this moment.
Thank you for answering. Would really appreciate it.

M
No problem!

They both have their pros and cons. If you're happy with Euclid it's of course not absolutely necessary to get Euclidean.

What sets Euclidean apart is that:

- It's polyphonic
- It is sample-accurate since it does MIDI out instead of CV out
- It's controlled by MIDI in, i e it plays while one or more keys are held
- It's velocity sensitive (unless Velocity Mode is set to Fixed)
- It has built-in controls for Hold and Retrig
- It responds to the Run button inside combinators when the main sequencer is stopped
I own Euclid Rhythm Generator and would by Euclidean if you add an arpeggiator function to Euclidean. I know that there is a combinator patch for Euclid Rhythm Generator that sort of generates arpegios, but it's not a real arpeggiator (the melody notes are generated by the normal arp and the rhytm by Euclid: this sometimes generates melodies that only use the root note).

pinton

08 May 2018

Is the formant modifier new in Europa as well? I know there was the vocal formant in the spectral filter, but I think the formant modifier is new too.

NekujaK

08 May 2018

Maybe I just don't get it, but I've always programmed my drums directly in Reason's sequencer lane, where I have access to all of Kong's pads, can make sequences any length, have full control over velocities, can slide and shuffle, and make pattern blocks. If I want to apply a pseudo probability function, I randomize the velocities.

I appreciate that there are several features of convenience in the new drum sequencer, but this device doesn't strike me as revolutionary or groundbreaking. Also, sample loading in Europa is nice, but again, aren't there other synths that can already do this?

Not trying to be negative - I got lots of mad love for the Props and Reason. I'm just getting impatient waiting for meaningful improvements (performance, editing features) while the Props continue to distract us with inconsequential fluff.

I know performance fixes are on the way, but I just needed to gripe a little... woke up on the wrong side of the bed today :(
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Runner2x

08 May 2018

NekujaK wrote:
08 May 2018
Maybe I just don't get it, but I've always programmed my drums directly in Reason's sequencer lane, where I have access to all of Kong's pads, can make sequences any length, have full control over velocities, can slide and shuffle, and make pattern blocks. If I want to apply a pseudo probability function, I randomize the velocities.
I don't get it either but I wonder if step sequencer heads are the majority. Step sequencers from my perspective = boring drum tracks with little expression. I do like that old Robotic Bean Euclid device though.

Edit/Addition: After seeing the review that Hydlide did, I can see some neat features in the new drum sequencer. I still know people use Redrum though so that is what I don't understand. :lol: Maybe not anymore though.

Nielsen

08 May 2018

NekujaK wrote:
08 May 2018

I appreciate that there are several features of convenience in the new drum sequencer, but this device doesn't strike me as revolutionary or groundbreaking.
Much like Scales and Chords, the new Drum Sequencer works as a quick shortcut to tasks which most likely can be done elsewhere. However, these devices simply make it easier to write something you otherwise wouldn't have thought about, which can be a blessing when being creatively stuck in old habits.

For example, I have always found it difficult to get some nice percussion going on top of my beat when using the Redrum sequencer, but the new Players device makes that workflow so much more intuitive. Partly thanks to having all drum lanes in plain sight at once, and in part because of how the Random and Alter functions might showcase efficient grooves I otherwise wouldn't think about trying.

sdst
Competition Winner

08 May 2018

Sequencer is like working with hardware. And I don't think a euro rack is boring

electrofux

08 May 2018

Runner2x wrote:
08 May 2018
NekujaK wrote:
08 May 2018
I don't get it either but I wonder if step sequencer heads are the majority. Step sequencers from my perspective = boring drum tracks with little expression. I do like that old Robotic Bean Euclid device though.

Edit/Addition: After seeing the review that Hydlide did, I can see some neat features in the new drum sequencer. I still know people use Redrum though so that is what I don't understand. :lol: Maybe not anymore though.
Honestly, for me there are a couple of reasons why i love sequencers and the biggest one is the hands on feel to create drum loops. And by hands on i mean tweaking knobs and pushing buttons. And another one is to fire off different patterns at will. And the third is to have special means to manipulate sequences.

The drum sequencer is not hands on in my sense. It is mouse action only since there is next to none Remote support and then i can indeed just use the main sequencer, i lose some features but gain others. As far as i can tell the pattern section is not quantized and depends on premade pattern tracks so the second reason doesnt work for me aswell. In the third department it has some good stuff but Kompulsion is hands down way better in that department. There are undeniable some convenience features but i agree it is inconsequential in many ways. I cant deny i am a bit disappointed because i thought they go the extra mile with it and dont stop when the thing is just a little nice useful thingy.
But i see people will like it, just not me.

JerrelTheKing

08 May 2018

Kompulsion will basically do the same thing as the drum sequencer with more steps and more available channels but Props is charging the same price for it as Kompulsion after May 31 if you dont upgrade by then? smh.. The drum sequencer should be included full time.

esselfortium

08 May 2018

You don't have to buy it. If there is another product at the same price point that serves your needs better, just buy the other product. It's fine.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EnochLight

08 May 2018

JerrelTheKing wrote:
08 May 2018
The drum sequencer should be included full time.
It is included full time.

...if you upgrade to 10.x before May 31st. :D :lol:

Also, the Player can be stacked with other Players which makes it a very powerful option. A standard RE doesn't play like that.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

demt

08 May 2018

Myopic mo!es of sequential genius Vs suddenly it's easy to lay down on a beat
That's what the new drum machine does is. Whatever!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

JerrelTheKing

08 May 2018

@enochlight I know when the fulltime ends already..

scratchnsnifff

08 May 2018

pinton wrote:
08 May 2018
Is the formant modifier new in Europa as well? I know there was the vocal formant in the spectral filter, but I think the formant modifier is new too.
Yes that is new :) as well as there is a new setting in the harmonic generator although I don’t know how to use it to get a useable result yet
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

phasewash

09 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
08 May 2018
phasewash wrote:
08 May 2018
Could anybody tell me if the drum seq player is also free for reason intro users? Thanks.
That's a fantastic question! I'd bounce it off of Props - let us know what you find out!
According https://help.propellerheads.se/hc/en-us ... er-article the drum player is also free for reason intro.

chimp_spanner

09 May 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
08 May 2018
pinton wrote:
08 May 2018
Yes that is new :) as well as there is a new setting in the harmonic generator although I don’t know how to use it to get a useable result yet
I believe the new setting is a "lag" for user wavetable position in the filter section. Think of it like smoothing/interpolation I guess? Maybe not exactly the same, but it has a similar effect and reduces any harshness or crackling in the filter section as you sweep the user table.

miscend

09 May 2018

NekujaK wrote:
08 May 2018

I appreciate that there are several features of convenience in the new drum sequencer, but this device doesn't strike me as revolutionary or groundbreaking. Also, sample loading in Europa is nice, but again, aren't there other synths that can already do this?

Not trying to be negative - I got lots of mad love for the Props and Reason. I'm just getting impatient waiting for meaningful improvements (performance, editing features) while the Props continue to distract us with inconsequential fluff.

I know performance fixes are on the way, but I just needed to gripe a little... woke up on the wrong side of the bed today :(
It’s important to note that the drum sequencer is not a stock device. It is a paid for $69 rack extension separate from the 10.1 update. But is currently on offer for a limited time. What you’re getting from 10.1 are the updated SDKs and a new feature in Europa.

Anyway there are workflow advantages to using a different style of sequencer. Other DAWs like Cubase for example have editors specifically for drum sequencing. We all have our workflow preferences but having another tool to sequence drums is not a negative.

Most wavetable synths require you to create your wavetables in an external editor. Being able to load samples directly into Europa is pretty cool. Also remember that this is a point update, other updates to Reason (such as improvements to VST performance) are still incoming possibly this year.

EnochLight

09 May 2018

NekujaK wrote:
08 May 2018

I appreciate that there are several features of convenience in the new drum sequencer, but this device doesn't strike me as revolutionary or groundbreaking.
Drum Sequencer is really meant as a quick and easy way of getting it done - drag it to a Kong (or synth, or whatever) and start making an instant pattern. You can also build Combi with it, which is simply not possible with the main sequencer. Also, your pseudo-probability approach in the main sequencer may work for you, but that's more of a cumbersome (IMHO) work-around compared to how easy it is to accomplish in Drum Sequencer. The way probability works in Drum Seq in much more fine-tuned, allowing you to control probability right down to the percentage on each and every hit.

But as others have said, certainly some just won't have a use for it. No shame in that! If what you have/do works for you, then you're golden. :)

guitfnky

09 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
09 May 2018
NekujaK wrote:
08 May 2018

Drum Sequencer is really meant as a quick and easy way of getting it done - drag it to a Kong (or synth, or whatever) and start making an instant pattern. You can also build Combi with it, which is simply not possible with the main sequencer. Also, your pseudo-probability approach in the main sequencer may work for you, but that's more of a cumbersome (IMHO) work-around compared to how easy it is to accomplish in Drum Sequencer. The way probability works in Drum Seq in much more fine-tuned, allowing you to control probability right down to the percentage on each and every hit.

But as others have said, certainly some just won't have a use for it. No shame in that! If what you have/do works for you, then you're golden. :)
to add to this, some of us tend towards using the same/similar drum patterns if we’re manually playing them into the sequencer. using a pattern programmer is an easy way to break out of that rut, and find new and interesting rhythms you otherwise might not have.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Reasonable man

09 May 2018

I think Redrum still has its merits for testing out stuff.Where redrum excels is using one instrument (kick or snrae for eg) per Redrum using the internal cv connections and audio outs for layering up multple dry, wet, compressed, eq'd signals and balancing them in a 14:2 mixer.
The graphics in this drum sequencer make it easier to see the big picture ( i dont have propulsion) so i'm gonna be using this above every kong in every track from here on in.

Reasonable man

09 May 2018

With the 808 , 909 samples in reason i spent (propabley wasted) alot of time seperating them in seperate mix channels or mixers and getting knowhere. I think there are quite a few kits in Reason now where seperating samples into channels adds nothing to the mix . I think this where this sequencer is handy

NekujaK

09 May 2018

guitfnky wrote:
09 May 2018
EnochLight wrote:
09 May 2018

to add to this, some of us tend towards using the same/similar drum patterns if we’re manually playing them into the sequencer. using a pattern programmer is an easy way to break out of that rut, and find new and interesting rhythms you otherwise might not have.
Totally get the benefits of the Drum Sequencer player. Deep down, I think the source of my griping is that I'm just not the target audience for most of the recent Reason updates. I use Reason for more "traditional" composing, recording, and mixing and am not into EDM, beat making, glitch, synth tweaking, or loop-based music. Many years ago I used to be, but that's not where my interests lie any more.

Historically, the most exciting Reason developments for me have been the addition of the SSL mixer (6.0), audio support (6.1), Rack Extensions (6.5), comp editor (8.3), and VST support (9.5). Everything outside of that doesn't really impact my day-to-day work with Reason. So I'm just looking forward to performance and editing/workflow improvements.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

kitekrazy

09 May 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
09 May 2018
I think Redrum still has its merits for testing out stuff.Where redrum excels is using one instrument (kick or snrae for eg) per Redrum using the internal cv connections and audio outs for layering up multple dry, wet, compressed, eq'd signals and balancing them in a 14:2 mixer.
The graphics in this drum sequencer make it easier to see the big picture ( i dont have propulsion) so i'm gonna be using this above every kong in every track from here on in.
Sequencer doesn't wow me since Redrum is one of my favorite easy to use part of Reason. They still need to get out of the dark ages with allowing the factor refill on another drive.

tobypearce

10 May 2018

For Battery users, I note on the PH new video that they mention that the drum mappings are not the same as the standard ones for kong.

But they ARE at least consistent within Battery, at least for their drum kit patches. So for anyone who owns an expansion pack, such as Transistor Heat, it's easy to create a combinator, map and the Drum Sequencer settings once, then save the combinator. Then you can swap Battery patches and still have the mappings to Drum Sequencer.

I always liked Battery's features but the lack of sequencer meant that I didn't use it as much as I would have liked. This is now solved with Reason's drum sequencer :-)
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

sonicbyte

10 May 2018

Question for Mac users:

Is Reason 10.1 working fine on version 10.13.1 highSierra ? I know there are issues with 10.13.4, just to know if my version have serious issues or if its safe to upgrade from R9.5.

Thanks

• Information