Who is using hardware with Reason? What and How?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jimmyklane

02 May 2018

I’m interested to see if there are more users that work as I do...I grew up on an Atari ST with Cubase and my dad’s sampler before I became a teenager and began with ReBirth and eventually Reason 1...I’ve always owned Reason, although for many years that I ran a commercial studio it was a main “sound module” rewired into ProTools or Cubase. Now I’m back into Reason 10 full-time as my only installed DAW. However, I still have a room full of hardware, so the External MIDI Instrument is on the top of the list for most used module. I use a TON of what I call support-modules....Synchronous, Pulsar, Thor (for its mod matrix and CV outs), and make heavy use of multiple EMDs for the same instrument so the reason can send multiple CCs to the same instrument. I also record a lot of modulations from my instruments that send MIDI via their panel controls.

The long and short of it is that if I use, say, Grain or Europa in a track it is almost always something that I sample and mangle....sampling pitched up and sped-up REX loops like they’re old records is another favorite of mine. Most of my sound sources simply come into Reason “wet”....already EQed and compressed, and with an aux track (or tracks) of 100% effect mix recorded along with them.

Does anybody still work this way? Any neat tricks? I love freaking out and “breaking” synths and samplers using the EMD CC input at audio rates....it doesn’t actually WORK at audio rate, but it’s almost always very interesting.

Thoughts?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Psuper

02 May 2018

I have a bunch of hardware -- effects racks, synths, controllers, they occasionally tickle my fancy... then I put them back away in frustration in about an hour.

Pretty much just the KX8 and MPK249. And now that I have the H2n, thanks to JoeLuck I have another indispensable piece of my ever-changing puzzle. Also the G13 however I haven't fired it back up in the new DAW yet. Some creative routing effects with the Discrete 4 headphone outs as their Reverb is gorgeous yet crippled, nothing special.

I'd be interested to see what others have to say as well, hopefully more along the lines of "Can't live without" rather than "Sounds good but I rarely do it".
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

dmcghee

03 May 2018

I also use hardware with Reason 10 on an iMac. I sequence most of my tracks in the MPCX using the MPC Software 2.2 sync to Reason using MIDI Clock. I sequence my hardware synths and plugins on the MPCX and drag and drop the midi tracks into Reason. I also play bass guitar that I record directly into Reason. All vocals are recorded in Reason.

All my hardware synths, samplers and MPCs are running through a Behringer X32 digital console sending the audio through Adat into an Antelope Zentour that I use as my audio interface.

All my outboard compressors, EQs and Preamps are connected to a patchbay sending audio back into Reason through the Antelope Zentour.

I use analog hardware compressors EQs and preamps when mixing in Reason. Reason’s Master Section in the back of the Reason Rack enable you to patch audio and midi tracks in and out of Reason to be process through analog gear and record the results back into Reason.

All my editing and mixing are done exclusively in Reason 10.

My keyboards are as followed. Korg Trinity V3 and M1, Roland JV2080 with 8 expansion cards, Kawai K3M, Ensoniq ESQm, Akai Z8 & Z4 Samplers, MPCX, MPC4000 and MPC 60ll.

I write RnB/Soul, Pop and Smooth Jazz.

• Information