Applying notes on top of blocks?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ezmar

27 Apr 2018

So this might be something that isn't yet possible, but I would find it incredibly helpful. I know many don't really use blocks, but I find them useful for drum patterns, as I prefer to program with Kong and the piano roll rather than Redrum kits, which are less flexible. So I'll program my drum patterns into blocks so I can simply copy them over large sections of time much more easily than continuously copy/pasting. So far so good. However, sometimes I'll want to add little things here and there for variation, such as a crash or ride over the regular pattern. However, when I place a clip in the song sequencer, it overrides the block pattern, which is good for things like fills where I want to completely replace the pattern with something else, but not so good at the aforementioned embellishments, since I have to manually recreate the notes that would normally be in the block.

So, now that I've sort of explained what I'm talking about, does anyone know if there's some way to place notes that will play over an established block?

P.S. I actually just had an idea while typing this up to use a new note lane, which does work, though it is a bit messy in terms of organization, since the block's notes aren't visible while editing the second lane, making timing a little putzy on occasion, but it's a solution. Perhaps there's some other way to do this that I haven't thought of that will be a bit more user-friendly with the interface? If not, no big deal, I just thought I'd ask around a bit.

pushedbutton

27 Apr 2018

If using note lanes bothers you, you could temporarily make a new note lane, make another block that is a copy of your original then merge the note data in the note lanes to tidy it up again.
What you're trying to articulate is the 'ghost lanes' request. You're not the first person to suggest this and you won't be the last (unless it miraculously shows up in R10.5)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ezmar

27 Apr 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
27 Apr 2018
If using note lanes bothers you, you could temporarily make a new note lane, make another block that is a copy of your original then merge the note data in the note lanes to tidy it up again.
What you're trying to articulate is the 'ghost lanes' request. You're not the first person to suggest this and you won't be the last (unless it miraculously shows up in R10.5)
That sounds like it would be just about as tedious as copying the original pattern. It's more about the tedium than the organization.

I'm not surprised, there are always features in any software that are bafflingly absent. I figured that if it existed, someone would know, and if it didn't... well, someone would know.

stratatonic

27 Apr 2018

Ezmar wrote:
27 Apr 2018
So this might be something that isn't yet possible, but I would find it incredibly helpful. I know many don't really use blocks, but I find them useful for drum patterns, as I prefer to program with Kong and the piano roll rather than Redrum kits, which are less flexible. So I'll program my drum patterns into blocks so I can simply copy them over large sections of time much more easily than continuously copy/pasting. So far so good. However, sometimes I'll want to add little things here and there for variation, such as a crash or ride over the regular pattern. However, when I place a clip in the song sequencer, it overrides the block pattern, which is good for things like fills where I want to completely replace the pattern with something else, but not so good at the aforementioned embellishments, since I have to manually recreate the notes that would normally be in the block.

So, now that I've sort of explained what I'm talking about, does anyone know if there's some way to place notes that will play over an established block?
You could copy clip(s) from the block(s) and have them on a muted track in the sequencer - maybe right below your drawn Block-line and above your Drum Track.

When you want to add your embellishments, option-drag the proper clip where you need it, and add your stuff.

campbejo
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2018

Once I've programmed / played my beat in kong and everything's in one clip I open the tool window (F8) and go to "Extract Notes to Lane", make sure "Explode" is highlighted and select "move". This gives each pad its own lane in the sequencer that you can name. You may feel this is messy but it's by far the most functional way to program drums in my opinion and once the fundamental beat is in place and in your block, creating edits and transitions becomes very easy. If you only want to add to the hi hats you can do so without having to program the whole beat or even anything depending on the situation.

guitfnky

27 Apr 2018

I don't know of a way to add them on top as you're describing, but you can actually pull the tracks from your block forward so that they appear in the normal sequencer (I just found out they added this a couple of days ago, by accident - not sure when it was introduced). you can then edit them as normal (or add another lane to do your additional programming).

right-click the block you want and select Convert Block Clips to Sound Clips. I think it does it for all of the tracks in the block, so you may have to do some muting/deleting of other stuff, but it might do the trick.

again, not sure when they added that, so it might depend on the version you're running whether you have access to it (I'm on 10).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

campbejo
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2018

guitfnky wrote:
27 Apr 2018
I don't know of a way to add them on top as you're describing, but you can actually pull the tracks from your block forward so that they appear in the normal sequencer (I just found out they added this a couple of days ago, by accident - not sure when it was introduced). you can then edit them as normal (or add another lane to do your additional programming).

right-click the block you want and select Convert Block Clips to Sound Clips. I think it does it for all of the tracks in the block, so you may have to do some muting/deleting of other stuff, but it might do the trick.

again, not sure when they added that, so it might depend on the version you're running whether you have access to it (I'm on 10).
This actually converts all blocks to song mode, it doesn't work per block as far as i know. It would be great if they added a feature that could lift instruments or lanes, or even clips from each black but unfortunately that doesn't exist.

Unless I'm missing something?

Edit:

My mistake, it can be done! This is a very useful feature I didn't know about, Thanks guitfnky !

guitfnky

27 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
27 Apr 2018
This is a very useful feature I didn't know about, Thanks guitfnky !
glad I could help. :) it's super-helpful for me, since I do all of my structuring using Blocks, and hate having to copy/paste from there into the song sequence in order to edit anything.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

stratatonic

27 Apr 2018

Alternatively, you could double click Block header >> Cmd-C the clip you want to use from that block >> B >> Cmd-V the clip into the sequencer, tweak

• Information