May Madness?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Voyager

01 May 2018

teddymcw wrote:
01 May 2018

I mention PSQ partly bc it's kinda gotten me into CV design. It's like a central hub or engine that motors your project's sounds. Usable in many ways but requires a diff kind of thinking than what many naturally do. I'm working on it tho.

Be carefull, you could easely get lost in between experimentation and lack of productivity.

teddymcw

02 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
01 May 2018

Be carefull, you could easely get lost in between experimentation and lack of productivity.

Nahh, that's what RT is for ;)

Goodbye

02 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
01 May 2018
teddymcw wrote:
01 May 2018

I mention PSQ partly bc it's kinda gotten me into CV design. It's like a central hub or engine that motors your project's sounds. Usable in many ways but requires a diff kind of thinking than what many naturally do. I'm working on it tho.

It depends why you are making music. I'll often spent hours on a modular setup, just enjoying the process, then never use it or listen to it again. It's a very different way of working. Much less goal-orientated and much more immediate. It's nothing like working on a track. Much more like a sand mandala, and for that PSQ is the king.

madmacman

02 May 2018

Goodbye wrote:
02 May 2018
It depends why you are making music. I'll often spent hours on a modular setup, just enjoying the process, then never use it or listen to it again. It's a very different way of working. Much less goal-orientated and much more immediate. It's nothing like working on a track. Much more like a sand mandala, and for that PSQ is the king.
Nice description! :thumbs_up:

I always tried to explain my modular jamming to others as "it's like playing piano after work to calm down". But your comparison to sand mandalas is much better! :D

S1GNL

02 May 2018

Psuper wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Fantomas wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Hope they give a discount finally for those who have Reason 9.5 and spent decent money buying it, not upgrading for $99 from Essentials 😠
Asking $130 for 2 pre-chosen synth devices plus 3 crippled 3rd party devices is not worth an upgrade at all to me. I'm waiting to see the direction Propellerhead takes here on our before I spend any more money - got a pile going to props and REdevs, or VSTs.
Grain and Europa are worth it. Plus you get Radical Piano if that's something you use in your music.

teddymcw

02 May 2018

madmacman wrote:
02 May 2018
Goodbye wrote:
02 May 2018
Nice description! :thumbs_up:

I always tried to explain my modular jamming to others as "it's like playing piano after work to calm down". But your comparison to sand mandalas is much better! :D

Ya, this was a really cool and near perfect analogy, awesome! Sometimes I'll use the CV stuff and even a whole PSQ sequence to add spice to something that sounds a bit square or have the sequence be a nice breakdown or other transition in a larger composition.

Fantomas

09 May 2018

S1GNL wrote:
02 May 2018
Psuper wrote:
29 Apr 2018

Asking $130 for 2 pre-chosen synth devices plus 3 crippled 3rd party devices is not worth an upgrade at all to me. I'm waiting to see the direction Propellerhead takes here on our before I spend any more money - got a pile going to props and REdevs, or VSTs.
Grain and Europa are worth it. Plus you get Radical Piano if that's something you use in your music.
It is and don’t get me wrong, Reason is a complete wonderful environment, there is a reason 🤩 I come back to it to mess around every time but since slight adjustments to PH pricing it’s like a tempting lover you come back to to enjoy all the time but wouldn’t marry or give expensive gifts to if you get what I mean. Come, use it, throw it away because she knows stuff really nicely but doesn’t keep up with the world. Just wait and see, hopefully there will be a discount some time this year for 9.5 users if they want to upgrade because for me $99 is the maximum I’d pay for an upgrade one version up

ravisoni

09 May 2018

Fantomas wrote:
09 May 2018
S1GNL wrote:
02 May 2018

It is and don’t get me wrong, Reason is a complete wonderful environment, there is a reason 🤩 I come back to it to mess around every time but since slight adjustments to PH pricing it’s like a tempting lover you come back to to enjoy all the time but wouldn’t marry or give expensive gifts to if you get what I mean. Come, use it, throw it away because she knows stuff really nicely but doesn’t keep up with the world. Just wait and see, hopefully there will be a discount some time this year for 9.5 users if they want to upgrade because for me $99 is the maximum I’d pay for an upgrade one version up
Ditto on the $99. I think it's fair price. Somehow I think, though, that the price will go down to $99, but that'll be after the promotional period for DS expires.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Fantomas

09 May 2018

ravisoni wrote:
09 May 2018
Fantomas wrote:
09 May 2018

Ditto on the $99. I think it's fair price. Somehow I think, though, that the price will go down to $99, but that'll be after the promotional period for DS expires.
Hopefully :/

9.x users should pay $99, 8.x users $149, 7.x and below $199 imho but unfortunately we are not PH marketing :(

madmacman

09 May 2018

ravisoni wrote:
09 May 2018
I don't think that they do a price drop out of the blue. Either during "May Madness" (which would cover the promotional period for DS) or then again for Black Friday, XMas sale or whatever.

I'm currently scanning music stores and online shops for upgrade deals - but this time: nothing! (unlike for Reason 9) :cry:

Fantomas

09 May 2018

madmacman wrote:
09 May 2018
ravisoni wrote:
09 May 2018
I don't think that they do a price drop out of the blue. Either during "May Madness" (which would cover the promotional period for DS) or then again for Black Friday, XMas sale or whatever.

I'm currently scanning music stores and online shops for upgrade deals - but this time: nothing! (unlike for Reason 9) :cry:
Same here :D only came across some dodgy stuff tho... let me know if you find something please ✌🏻

raccoonboy

09 May 2018

PSoames wrote:
01 May 2018
aeox wrote:
01 May 2018

I think it's a common misconception that the Reason community is just a bunch of Eurorack/modular fanatics. :D
It's true. We bang on about missing CV on REs, but haven't a clue what to do with them. It's a good job CV and audio sockets are different sizes, I'd have wired it up wrong and would likely cause a serious, serial reverse-loop interphase of the Central Sverige Framitz.
The notion that using CV is difficult or confusing is a myth. I'm sorry, it's not hard and I'm no expert!

Especially since you don't even need to think about volts, ala real modular. If you can understand an automation lane, you can understand CV. It's pretty much the same thing! Obviously there can be more advanced CV stuff, like logic gates. But it's 99% just LFOs/Envelopes/Gates (on/off) etc, exactly like automation.

Read one chapter of Electronic Music Systems, Techniques, And Controls 2nd edition By Allen Strange and a lightbulb will go off in your head and you'll understand CV for life.

PSoames

16 May 2018

raccoonboy wrote:
09 May 2018
PSoames wrote:
01 May 2018

It's true. We bang on about missing CV on REs, but haven't a clue what to do with them. It's a good job CV and audio sockets are different sizes, I'd have wired it up wrong and would likely cause a serious, serial reverse-loop interphase of the Central Sverige Framitz.
The notion that using CV is difficult or confusing is a myth. I'm sorry, it's not hard and I'm no expert!

Especially since you don't even need to think about volts, ala real modular. If you can understand an automation lane, you can understand CV. It's pretty much the same thing! Obviously there can be more advanced CV stuff, like logic gates. But it's 99% just LFOs/Envelopes/Gates (on/off) etc, exactly like automation.

Read one chapter of Electronic Music Systems, Techniques, And Controls 2nd edition By Allen Strange and a lightbulb will go off in your head and you'll understand CV for life.
Ahh! Sorry, I should have qualified my post with a :D or :lol: I'm afraid my default mode is set to, "facetious". CV and the cabling side of the rack is most definitely why I use Reason.

Shit! I'm not here for the sequencer! :lol:

Sorry! Sorry! I just can't help myself.

Fantomas

17 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
01 May 2018
aeox wrote:
01 May 2018

I think it's a common misconception that the Reason community is just a bunch of Eurorack/modular fanatics. :D
...and somehow 90% of music posted on Facebook is trap :(
is crap

madmacman

18 May 2018

Ok, here we go: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7507039

May Madness is online - but no R10 upgrade offer. The die is cast: I'll pass!

raccoonboy

18 May 2018

PSoames wrote:
16 May 2018
raccoonboy wrote:
09 May 2018

Ahh! Sorry, I should have qualified my post with a :D or :lol: I'm afraid my default mode is set to, "facetious". CV and the cabling side of the rack is most definitely why I use Reason.

Shit! I'm not here for the sequencer! :lol:

Sorry! Sorry! I just can't help myself.
Must have been half asleep, it is rather obvious now :P

But there are many who don't get CV and I can't understand why. A little research and messing around and you'll pick it up.

• Information