May Madness?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sublunar

27 Apr 2018

So May Madness is still a thing right?

What's on your wish-list?

I'm hoping for a sale on:

-Radical Keys
-Jiggery Pokery... anything. The JPS is especially tempting. I've got his combo organs so I don't even really bother with my Arturia stuff anymore.
-Selig Coloring EQ

I think I'm pretty well set on everything else. I picked up the Mix and Mastering rig on May Madness a while back and it was a really good value, highly recommend. I also have the VK2 and I'm real happy with that thing.

antic604

27 Apr 2018

I suspect it's starting on May 18th.

Why? I've been bugging Props - whenever they'd announce new Deal of The Week on FB - to do one for FM4 and they'd (Stefan) answer few times they're taking notes of the requests. I was also PM-ing Primal Audio (FM4's devs) to put it on DoTW. Recently I got a PM back from them saying "May 18th". And since it's not a beginning of the week, I suspect it's when the May Madness starts :)

sublunar

27 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Apr 2018
I suspect it's starting on May 18th.

Why? I've been bugging Props - whenever they'd announce new Deal of The Week on FB - to do one for FM4 and they'd (Stefan) answer few times they're taking notes of the requests. I was also PM-ing Primal Audio (FM4's devs) to put it on DoTW. Recently I got a PM back from them saying "May 18th". And since it's not a beginning of the week, I suspect it's when the May Madness starts :)
Good work! Thanks for the info.

Voyager

27 Apr 2018

Dont know, seems to me that the anticipation and excitement for may sales was bigger last year, maybe i'm wrong...

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2018

I really want a Combo of Chenille, Steerpike, and the Animus!

Fantomas

29 Apr 2018

Hope they give a discount finally for those who have Reason 9.5 and spent decent money buying it, not upgrading for $99 from Essentials 😠

Runner2x

29 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
27 Apr 2018
-Selig Coloring EQ
+1

Psuper

29 Apr 2018

Fantomas wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Hope they give a discount finally for those who have Reason 9.5 and spent decent money buying it, not upgrading for $99 from Essentials 😠
Asking $130 for 2 pre-chosen synth devices plus 3 crippled 3rd party devices is not worth an upgrade at all to me. I'm waiting to see the direction Propellerhead takes here on our before I spend any more money - got a pile going to props and REdevs, or VSTs.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Fantomas wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Asking $130 for 2 pre-chosen synth devices plus 3 crippled 3rd party devices is not worth an upgrade at all to me. I'm waiting to see the direction Propellerhead takes here on our before I spend any more money - got a pile going to props and REdevs, or VSTs.
Luckily we can just skip upgrades and wait for the next.

Libraquaricorn

30 Apr 2018

Shouldn't it be on soon?

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

Still only 5pm on April 30th in Stockholm.

[edit] Looks like Kuassa, McDSP, KiloHearts, and Studio Corbach are ready early, though.

Fantomas

30 Apr 2018

aeox wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
29 Apr 2018

I wanted to get Reason since v1.0, played with demos throughout the years when all those tasty videos came out showing the new features, got it after trying many many things around v8. Other software were much more advanced, having VST support, MIDI Out, stuff you’d expect in 20xx, still, the ecosystem, the looks then RE’s convinced me this is a timeless unique piece of software good to have.

Then I tried Live, realised I want to go that way, being able go get ideas out quick, performing live, wouldn’t pay the price for the upgrade to v10, synths and sounds I already have from somewhere else, decided to wait and see.

Then this pisstake pricing came along and now I just want to sell it because it’s ridiculous how they devalue older fans/users, software doesn’t really lose their value but Phead’s managed to implement this before anyone else. $99 for an upgrade for Elements users and $129 for users of v1-9? Joke...

sublunar

30 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Fantomas wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Depends on your perspective. I don't like being on the bleeding edge, technology wise. Let the bugs get worked out first, etc. I usually skip a few versions. Went from v6 to v8. And coming from v8, I felt 10 was a worthy investment. I purposely held off on 9.5 knowing the first implementation of VSTs might be problematic. I've since realized that I like RE's better anyway. I never used VSTs before and am not really invested in them much at this point anyway.

sublunar

30 Apr 2018

Fantomas wrote:
30 Apr 2018
aeox wrote:
29 Apr 2018

I wanted to get Reason since v1.0, played with demos throughout the years when all those tasty videos came out showing the new features, got it after trying many many things around v8. Other software were much more advanced, having VST support, MIDI Out, stuff you’d expect in 20xx, still, the ecosystem, the looks then RE’s convinced me this is a timeless unique piece of software good to have.

Then I tried Live, realised I want to go that way, being able go get ideas out quick...

Then this pisstake pricing came along...
I understand your points. I tried Live. I've actually used most of the big names. Cubase, Cakewalk, Pro Tools, FL, etc. I feel that Reason is by far the fastest way to come up with ideas and get work done. I feel comfortable and rather enjoy the hardware like connectivity. I have plenty of complaints about Reason, but IMO it is by far more enjoyable to work in. And with RE's I am not a slave to VSTs. I've actually lost interest in VSTs in general because I feel I can get the job done with RE's. Single source for payments/downloads, easy to sync licenses. Reason for life!

madmacman

30 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
30 Apr 2018
And with RE's I am not a slave to VSTs. I've actually lost interest in VSTs in general because I feel I can get the job done with RE's. Single source for payments/downloads, easy to sync licenses. Reason for life!
Hmmm... :o

Until Propellerhead stops business and you're stuck in the proprietary RE world, while with VST/AU licenses you easily can move on.

sublunar

30 Apr 2018

madmacman wrote:
30 Apr 2018
sublunar wrote:
30 Apr 2018
And with RE's I am not a slave to VSTs. I've actually lost interest in VSTs in general because I feel I can get the job done with RE's. Single source for payments/downloads, easy to sync licenses. Reason for life!
Hmmm... :o

Until Propellerhead stops business and you're stuck in the proprietary RE world, while with VST/AU licenses you easily can move on.
I'll worry about that when it happens. I'm 100% invested in Reason as my primary DAW and (RE)plugin provider. I don't think I use any RE's that couldn't be replicated to some extent out there in the wild, albeit with more hassle and licensing/installation issues.

ravisoni

01 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
27 Apr 2018
Dont know, seems to me that the anticipation and excitement for may sales was bigger last year, maybe i'm wrong...
Maybe because we just recently had those massive rig sales. I'm almost certain I'm going to skip this madness sale as I already took advantage of a crossgrade offer for one of the rigs. And while more than a gorgeous deal, still put a dent in my pockets.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Ixus

01 May 2018

I wish for a cheap Parsec, which even a nooby patch browser like me can make cool sounds with :P

Voyager

01 May 2018

Ixus wrote:
01 May 2018

I wish for a cheap Parsec, which even a nooby patch browser like me can make cool sounds with :P

A month ago or so Parsec was around 60% off...

Ixus

01 May 2018

Oh Snap!!!!

teddymcw

01 May 2018

PSQ this time around for me. Kinda surprised this device doesn't get more fanaticism here.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 May 2018

teddymcw wrote:
01 May 2018
PSQ this time around for me. Kinda surprised this device doesn't get more fanaticism here.
I think it's a common misconception that the Reason community is just a bunch of Eurorack/modular fanatics. :D

antic604

01 May 2018

aeox wrote:
01 May 2018
teddymcw wrote:
01 May 2018
I think it's a common misconception that the Reason community is just a bunch of Eurorack/modular fanatics. :D
...and somehow 90% of music posted on Facebook is trap :(

PSoames

01 May 2018

aeox wrote:
01 May 2018
teddymcw wrote:
01 May 2018
It's true. We bang on about missing CV on REs, but haven't a clue what to do with them. It's a good job CV and audio sockets are different sizes, I'd have wired it up wrong and would likely cause a serious, serial reverse-loop interphase of the Central Sverige Framitz.

teddymcw

01 May 2018

PSoames wrote:
01 May 2018
aeox wrote:
01 May 2018

It's true. We bang on about missing CV on REs, but haven't a clue what to do with them. It's a good job CV and audio sockets are different sizes, I'd have wired it up wrong and would likely cause a serious, serial reverse-loop interphase of the Central Sverige Framitz.
Hah, this is true. I've personally never been a big CV user, but there are enough users for anything to get some threads rolling. PSQ and CV ideas in general - indeed a worthy subject.

I mention PSQ partly bc it's kinda gotten me into CV design. It's like a central hub or engine that motors your project's sounds. Usable in many ways but requires a diff kind of thinking than what many naturally do. I'm working on it tho.

• Information