The upcoming Reason Update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Parameter

27 Apr 2018

EdGrip wrote:Stop bringing me down with your horrible grey square robotic office drone performance review chat.
Don’t like don’t read. Dislike and forget.

Parameter

27 Apr 2018

Adabler wrote:
Parameter wrote:
27 Apr 2018
You don’t need ability to group tracks, do you?
Can you elaborate a little on this? You can group channels, but I guess you are referring to some sort of feature in the sequencer?
Yes, in the sequencer, when everything e.g. hi-hats related is folded under the same unfoldable umbrella track, called hi-hats.

jayhosking

27 Apr 2018

Parameter wrote:
27 Apr 2018
I hope admins of this forum will not ban this post for me just being honest and respectfully expressing what I’am feeling about Reason right now looking at my 7 years of relationship with this company.

So what is going on?:

Props have been offering well known deals lately: “hey, here’s affordable Reason Intro and a also -100$ for current Reason.

Which means 2 things:
Can we get a "pure speculation about Props business and marketing" subforum already? Every time there's a sale or a promotion or a change, I get awfully tired of wading through analyses from armchair businesspeople. I get it. There are many people here interested in talking about the secret behind-closed-doors dealings of Props. It makes sense. But can it just live in its own subforum?

Parameter, I don't mean any disrespect, and I'm not targeting you as much as I am bringing up a general trend on here. There is a very vocal subset of RT posters who want to speculate on this. Like I said, I can imagine why. I just wish it was separated from actually talking about the software, REs, etc.

EnochLight

27 Apr 2018

Parameter wrote:
27 Apr 2018
Ahahahah! You don’t need ability to group tracks, do you?
Not really. I mean, sure - it would be nice - but I can think of a dozen other things TODAY that I "need" more than that. Certainly not enough to make me want to switch DAW's, though. Like I said, we all have different work flows. No hard in that! :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sublunar

27 Apr 2018

Parameter wrote:
27 Apr 2018
Adabler wrote:
Can you elaborate a little on this? You can group channels, but I guess you are referring to some sort of feature in the sequencer?
Yes, in the sequencer, when everything e.g. hi-hats related is folded under the same unfoldable umbrella track, called hi-hats.
I can't imagine a scenario where you would need so many hi-hat tracks that you needed to fold them. I've never needed such a feature myself.

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2018

Parameter wrote:
27 Apr 2018

It’s amazing how users differ one from another. I have 0 needs for advanced MIDI tools!!!:) Total and absolute zero.
Yeah! Like how I have ZERO use for CV. Total and absolute zero. Amaaaaaaazing.

I'm really looking forward to the day Verdane sell Propellerhead. This "let's get as many new users as possible" transition period suuuuucks.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raveled
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2018

If I would speculate, I think the overall philosophy at Propellerhead is not to release new features before Reason excels at them. For example, for quite some time ago, Propellerhead hinted on Instagram that they were working on audio editing improvements. Still, they haven't announced anything. I think it is because they are determined to release a fantastic product, not just a good one. Look at pitch edit, for example.

They have promised us that 10 is the biggest update ever, and I am positive that incremental updates in a not so distant future will convince all of us they weren't lying.

Voyager

27 Apr 2018

Before get into Reason i've tried some other daws and i always was bored as fuck...Then when i tried Reason and it clicked instantly, very inspired and fun to work with.

Now the very weird part is that i'm not an hardware or techy guy at all and making some routings within Reason is still sometimes a mystery to me and it's even more weird when you consider that all those things are exactly what make Reason as a daw but still couldn't work with anything else except Reason...

I know.., this is somehow...

Oquasec

27 Apr 2018

The daws I think aren't boring as hell are:
Reason/Reaper/Ableton/Studio One and cubase.
Anything else puts me right to sleep.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

antic604

27 Apr 2018

Oquasec wrote:
27 Apr 2018
The daws I think aren't boring as hell are:
Reason/Reaper/Ableton/Studio One and cubase.
Anything else puts me right to sleep.
Bitwig too? Because it's like Reason a modular playground, only without the hassle of cables...

Oquasec

27 Apr 2018

Without cables? hell no even fl studio has cables.
There's only two types of cables in reason and like 15 types of cables in reaktor.
And like 5-7 types of cables in max for live.
Producer/Programmer.

antic604

27 Apr 2018

Oquasec wrote:
27 Apr 2018
Without cables? hell no even fl studio has cables.
There's only two types of cables in reason and like 15 types of cables in reaktor.
And like 5-7 types of cables in max for live.
But none of the other DAWs you mentioned has cables (unless you count M4L)? And there's no FL on your list of "not boring DAWs"... I must be missing something.

Oquasec

27 Apr 2018

FL Studio is a boring daw. but it has cables too. Have you looked at the patcher and the mixer?
Reaktor is known to be a cable infested plugin, but it seems like REASON has topped it and is in a much better position amirite :P reaktor is addon status at this rate folks, even reason 5 does what reakdon't :lol:
Producer/Programmer.

seqoi

28 Apr 2018

Parameter wrote:
27 Apr 2018
PortendingHonor wrote:Though FL Studio isn't really a DAW...More of a sample studio.
No disrespect, but your quite a little wrong here
A big wrong there. FL Studio could record audio in to session far before Reason (as one of the many examples). Note that i don't want another FL Studio Vs Reason we all love and use both but above was clear misinformation. FL Studio is equally capable and was in that state before Reason. Each have their own strength now. You can even run FL Studio as a VSTi in Reason whoa!!!! And i am sure over at FL Studio many users ask for XY feature in next update..just the same as here

Oquasec

28 Apr 2018

There's many Reason features never getting added to fl studio without rewire.
Vice versa, they don't work the same. Ableton's had all that shit almost a decade before fl caught up.
(As a guy who started with Reason and fl studio, ableton was WAY ahead of the game)
In some areas like clip launching and track freezing (Or just stem/bounce) ableton is true industry standard.
Producer/Programmer.

antic604

28 Apr 2018

Oquasec wrote:
28 Apr 2018
In some areas like clip launching and track freezing (Or just stem/bounce) ableton is true industry standard.
No, it isn't. For example you can't freeze at specified point in devices chain, nor can't you bounce a channel with its send processing (you get send's output for all channels). For example Reaper can do all that. Live has long stopped to be a standard, even in clip launching Bitwig is ahead.

Raveshaper

28 Apr 2018

They cannot update the program in the ways that you want. It's more or less a 64-bit wrapper running a sandboxed emulation of the old 32-bit application at this point. Everything must serve backward compatibility to version 1, meaning nothing can or will change. Only new devices will be added.

If I'm wrong, where are the changes and where are the improvements. Where is the evolution towards something mature and robust.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

esselfortium

28 Apr 2018

Raveshaper wrote:
28 Apr 2018
They cannot update the program in the ways that you want. It's more or less a 64-bit wrapper running a sandboxed emulation of the old 32-bit application at this point. Everything must serve backward compatibility to version 1, meaning nothing can or will change. Only new devices will be added.

If I'm wrong, where are the changes and where are the improvements. Where is the evolution towards something mature and robust.
Please stop posting made-up nonsense and claiming it to be the truth.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Psuper

28 Apr 2018

Most of the basic features people want/expect is core stuff a competent developer working with a documented source code could do: not requiring a rewrite.

I have no doubt the SDK/RE portion is documented and accessible, as props or RE devs adding devices has never been an issue. However the core which is sorely lacking, well that's the oldest part of this equation, and its my belief that Propellerhead is ignoring it for a variety of possible reasons.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Goodbye

28 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
28 Apr 2018
Raveshaper wrote:
28 Apr 2018

Please stop posting made-up nonsense and claiming it to be the truth.
So how do you explain the complete lack of any updates to the main application for years other than VST support, new devices and tweaks to the file browser, all of which are effectively external to main application? It's a genuine question - how would you rationalise it? Lazyness, lack of resources, belief that Reason it perfect and doesn't need updates? The only viable answer is they can no longer update it (because it's too fragile, too complicated and therefore too expensive or difficult), so are working on a rewrite or a successor.

esselfortium

28 Apr 2018

So the "proof" is that there have been no updates, except for the updates that there have been, which don't count for some reason? Okay. Rack Extension SDK updates, midi-device functionality via Players, pitch editing, VST handling, Ableton Link integration, the list goes on, these things are not "external to the program", whatever that means. This line of argument belies selective reasoning made to support a conclusion already decided in advance.

Claiming to know The Truth about a made-up idea that you can't prove or disprove is pure trolling.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Goodbye

28 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
28 Apr 2018
So the "proof" is that there have been no updates, except for the updates that there have been, which don't count for some reason? Okay. Rack Extension SDK updates, midi-device functionality via Players, pitch editing, VST handling, Ableton Link integration, the list goes on, these things are not "external to the program", whatever that means. This line of argument belies selective reasoning made to support a conclusion already decided in advance.

Claiming to know The Truth about a made-up idea that you can't prove or disprove is pure trolling.
I must say, I'm enjoying imaging the vein in your head pulsing while you quiver with rage and crush the styrofoam cup in your hand, spilling weak tea over your lap.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
27 Apr 2018
Parameter wrote:
27 Apr 2018

I can't imagine a scenario where you would need so many hi-hat tracks that you needed to fold them. I've never needed such a feature myself.
I think this'd be useful for those of us who arrange beats directly in the arranger (which is a really cool way to work sometimes). You might have a bunch of different audio tracks with various different effects and panning and it'd be nice to consolidate all of those tracks into one folded block/part that can then be chopped, moved, time stretched, etc.

bxbrkrz

28 Apr 2018

Another happy thread. :D
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

• Information