Reason 100 off until April 30th

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CR68

25 Apr 2018

So there will an announcment of a major Update soon! 😀😀😀

Psuper

25 Apr 2018

If they do, lets hope it addresses many needs and concerns with the core.

I have a pile of cash that's either going towards Propellerhead and the REdevs, or a bunch of VSTs.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

riemac

26 Apr 2018

Reason 10 is out only for 6 months now. A major update is very unlikely in my opinion. Or do you know more?

madmacman

26 Apr 2018

Maybe a 10.5 at best. But I don't believe it. I'm sure they'll showcase a standard 10.0.3 @Superbooth in Berlin.

EnochLight

26 Apr 2018

OMFG - Reason 10 is on sale??!!! Cue the doomsayers, etc in 3.. 2.. 1.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdGrip

26 Apr 2018

Personally, I think this sale means Propellerhead are in trouble.

antic604

26 Apr 2018

EdGrip wrote:
26 Apr 2018
Personally, I think this sale means Propellerhead are in trouble.
I agree. I have it on good authority that they've overestimated the demand for boxed Reason 10 copies, which lead to having to lay off some staff to make room to keep those boxes (renting a warehouse was more expensive) and then it turned out the people they've fired were the developers and they're now stuck with marketing team, accounting and support...

God help us!

:roll:

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Apr 2018
I have it on good authority that they've overestimated the demand for boxed Reason 10 copies, which lead to having to lay off some staff to make room to keep those boxes (renting a warehouse was more expensive) and then it turned out the people they've fired were the developers and they're now stuck with marketing team, accounting and support...
ReasonWarehouse.jpg
ReasonWarehouse.jpg (173.92 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

madmacman

26 Apr 2018

rcbuse wrote:
26 Apr 2018
antic604 wrote:
26 Apr 2018
I have it on good authority that they've overestimated the demand for boxed Reason 10 copies, which lead to having to lay off some staff to make room to keep those boxes (renting a warehouse was more expensive) and then it turned out the people they've fired were the developers and they're now stuck with marketing team, accounting and support...
ReasonWarehouse.jpg
:lol: :thumbs_up:

Goodbye

26 Apr 2018

I always thought that was where they kept feature requests and bug reports.
rcbuse wrote:
26 Apr 2018
antic604 wrote:
26 Apr 2018
ReasonWarehouse.jpg

Psuper

26 Apr 2018

Goodbye wrote:
26 Apr 2018
I always thought that was where they kept feature requests and bug reports.
rcbuse wrote:
26 Apr 2018

ReasonWarehouse.jpg
lol

On a serious note however... Antic I sure hope you were being sarcastic, cause if that were the case its game over. I'm *pretty* sure it was in jest... but not overly clear it was...

EdGrip

26 Apr 2018

I heard that too. It was all over Twitter.

Goodbye

26 Apr 2018

EdGrip wrote:
26 Apr 2018
Those poor developers. To lose three developers just because of a simple logistics mistake is tragic. I really feel for those guys.

Psuper

26 Apr 2018

Goodbye wrote:
26 Apr 2018
EdGrip wrote:
26 Apr 2018
Those poor developers. To lose three developers just because of a simple logistics mistake is tragic. I really feel for those guys.
If this is the case I'm shocked, and not shocked at all at the same time. I have much to say, however I'll wait and see, speculation is a killer.

madmacman

26 Apr 2018

I would start worrying if they give it away for 100% off until April 30th

Psuper

26 Apr 2018

madmacman wrote:
26 Apr 2018
I would start worrying if they give it away for 100% off until April 30th
Reason 10 Lite is essentially that.

esselfortium

26 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
26 Apr 2018
Goodbye wrote:
26 Apr 2018

If this is the case I'm shocked, and not shocked at all at the same time. I have much to say, however I'll wait and see, speculation is a killer.
Your sarcasm detector seems to have gotten buried somewhere underneath all the pessimism if you honestly believe “they fired all their programmers to make room in the office for storage” isn’t a joke :lol:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

chimp_spanner

26 Apr 2018

Well, while we're wildly speculating...although it's only been 6 months since version 10 (a content update), it'll be almost bang on a year since 9.5 (an actual software update) landed. Soooo it's not beyond the realm of possibility that we could either see a huge 10.5 or even a jump straight to 11. There's been a lot of noise coming from PH lately. Getting cosy with NI cross promotions, AKAI, lots of press surrounding 10. Hell I picked up CM for the first time in forever today and spied Reason in a whole bunch of articles. So the spotlight is definitely on. Of course it could mean nothing. But either way, I'm really happy on 10 right now (warts and all). And I hope that whatever the next update is and whenever it comes, it all goes well for everyone involved. Positive vibes.

Psuper

26 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
26 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
26 Apr 2018

Your sarcasm detector seems to have gotten buried somewhere underneath all the pessimism if you honestly believe “they fired all their programmers to make room in the office for storage” isn’t a joke :lol:
Oh it was obvious in parts, but well disguised among among the general feeling that props are dropping excessive marketing beats all over the spectrum. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

antic604

27 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
26 Apr 2018
On a serious note however... Antic I sure hope you were being sarcastic, cause if that were the case its game over. I'm *pretty* sure it was in jest... but not overly clear it was...
Sure it was a joke. I've no insider sources in Props HQ :lol:

Although, you can't really exclude the possibility this isn't exactly what has happened...

antic604

27 Apr 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 Apr 2018
it'll be almost bang on a year since 9.5 (an actual software update) landed.
Considering some posts on here (the forum, not this topic in particular) I always wonder how much of a software update to the actual core of the Reason's code introduction of VST was? I mean, for all we know it's a 2.5 SDK RE device, that runs the VST in an invisible external wrapper and taps into ReWire protocol to make it all work. Maybe the actual Reason code wasn't touched at all, because ...they've lost the source code?! That would explain some things regarding VST performance, lack of MIDI-out support or spotty support for external sidechaining...

I hope it's just a stupid speculation on my part based on nothing, but you gotta wonder why all those low-hanging-fruit improvements to the GUI, sequencer & workflow have not been implemented ages ago.

chimp_spanner

27 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Apr 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
26 Apr 2018
it'll be almost bang on a year since 9.5 (an actual software update) landed.
Considering some posts on here (the forum, not this topic in particular) I always wonder how much of a software update to the actual core of the Reason's code introduction of VST was? I mean, for all we know it's a 2.5 SDK RE device, that runs the VST in an invisible external wrapper and taps into ReWire protocol to make it all work. Maybe the actual Reason code wasn't touched at all, because ...they've lost the source code?! That would explain some things regarding VST performance, lack of MIDI-out support or spotty support for external sidechaining...

I hope it's just a stupid speculation on my part based on nothing, but you gotta wonder why all those low-hanging-fruit improvements to the GUI, sequencer & workflow have not been implemented ages ago.
Naaah I can't imagine that's the case. Version 9 got the pitch editor, as well as players which don't seem to use anything like the RE SDK. 9.1 gave us Ableton Link. 9.2 was the new SDK. 9.5 was VST. 10 has the content manager and favourites lists. I don't feel like these could be added without access to the source code. They just have a strange and mysterious way of working. Kinda like god :lol:

antic604

27 Apr 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Apr 2018
I don't feel like these could be added without access to the source code. They just have a strange and mysterious way of working. Kinda like god :lol:
Yeah, I'm sure that's the case but this makes things like no keyboard shortcuts for grid size and/or automatic grid size following zoom level even more infuriating. I mean how it's not obvious this would be a positive change? And it's probably a half-days work for a mediocre coder to implement & test.

And that's just one example of many.

Goodbye

27 Apr 2018

They just have a strange and mysterious way of working. Kinda like god
And they both fail to answer our prayers.

chimp_spanner

27 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Apr 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Apr 2018
I don't feel like these could be added without access to the source code. They just have a strange and mysterious way of working. Kinda like god :lol:
Yeah, I'm sure that's the case but this makes things like no keyboard shortcuts for grid size and/or automatic grid size following zoom level even more infuriating. I mean how it's not obvious this would be a positive change? And it's probably a half-days work for a mediocre coder to implement & test.

And that's just one example of many.
Definitely get the frustration, although - at the risk of sounding like a stuck record as I *always* bring this up - Cubase only got zoom/grid link in the last version (9.5), and curved automation actually. And it's been a fully fledged DAW for waaay longer. Not making excuses. Just pointing out that the time taken to implement seemingly common sense features isn't abnormally high for Reason any more than it is for Cubase. It's just earlier in its development as a true DAW. Which I consider to have begun at the time it got audio. Which was...uhh...6.5? Before that not much changed except devices. So in my mind we're like 3 and a bit versions in. That's my rationale anyway. Of course the other way you could look at it is that there's plenty of inspiration to draw on from other DAWs who have already walked that long road to their current form. And Cubase's changelog is typically quite long from update to update. So there are an equal number of reasons to be patient and impatient haha.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 27 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

• Information