Reason 9 copying and pasting

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
elephant-ears

23 Apr 2018

Hi everyone! I'm working on a project in Reason 9 for the first time, and I've got endless questions, but what I need now is to know what there is to know about copy and paste. Is there any way to pick the paste point, like where to insert the copied data? I work with music that is all over the place rhythmically and on and off beat so it takes a lot of tinkering to get stuff lined up and locked in the groove when arranging. I want to paste another intro right at the beginning of my song, but I don't know how to get it there at the beginning, rather than at the end, or somewhere random. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

TheNoog

23 Apr 2018

It will paste wherever the current song position marker is.

Psuper

23 Apr 2018

Copying and Pasting is very annoying in Reason when dealing with tracks in multiple ways. You can't even hold ctrl or alt or anything when dragging a track (audio or midi) to another track and keep the position exactly where its at except by luck -- at least not that I've been able to discover so if there's some way to do this I'd love to know.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

QVprod

23 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
23 Apr 2018
Copying and Pasting is very annoying in Reason when dealing with tracks in multiple ways. You can't even hold ctrl or alt or anything when dragging a track (audio or midi) to another track and keep the position exactly where its at except by luck -- at least not that I've been able to discover so if there's some way to do this I'd love to know.
If snap is on it'll keep the same position very easily unless your snap setting is set to something like 1/64. You'd have to significantly move your mouse for that not to work.

Psuper

23 Apr 2018

QVprod wrote:
23 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
23 Apr 2018
If snap is on it'll keep the same position very easily unless your snap setting is set to something like 1/64. You'd have to significantly move your mouse for that not to work.
Yes I can accomplish it by that but I move tracks around often enough and its a pain to have to make sure snap is on bar, then enable snap, move the tracks, shut snap back off every time.

For people who record with snapping on bar or half bar not such a big deal, I rarely do however.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

esselfortium

23 Apr 2018

Just hold shift and it should stay aligned, I’m pretty sure...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

QVprod

23 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
23 Apr 2018
QVprod wrote:
23 Apr 2018

Yes I can accomplish it by that but I move tracks around often enough and its a pain to have to make sure snap is on bar, then enable snap, move the tracks, shut snap back off every time.

For people who record with snapping on bar or half bar not such a big deal, I rarely do however.
Or 1/4 bar even. Should really only not work if you have it set to 1/32 or 1/64. Those are pretty odd settings to need for most things but I suppose everyone has their own workflow. Fair thing to note though, there is a keyboard shortcut for turning snap on and off, .

elephant-ears

01 May 2018

TheNoog wrote:
23 Apr 2018
It will paste wherever the current song position marker is.
Thanks!!

elephant-ears

01 May 2018

I basically wrote the whole song part after part, without blocks, or repeating verses before going to a chorus and solos, etc.. So I've just got the whole outline of the song going from part to part. I now need to really put it together, like doubling the verse, before going straight into the chorus after one round. I cut out the verse section and duplicated it, but it kept the chorus data underneath it, with the verse and chorus playing overtop of each other, instead of getting in front of it like I need it to. I thought it would just push the chorus data back, insert itself and still roll smoothly. Damn!! Any info on this would help me so much!

elephant-ears

01 May 2018

elephant-ears wrote:
01 May 2018
I basically wrote the whole song part after part, without blocks, or repeating verses before going to a chorus and solos, etc.. So I've just got the whole outline of the song going from part to part. I now need to really put it together, like doubling the verse, before going straight into the chorus after one round. I cut out the verse section and duplicated it, but it kept the chorus data underneath it, with the verse and chorus playing overtop of each other, instead of getting in front of it like I need it to. I thought it would just push the chorus data back, insert itself and still roll smoothly. Damn!! Any info on this would help me so much!
Responding to myself in case anybody else needs to know....I think I've fixed it by inserting empty bars in order to make room for pasting. :lol:

• Information