Studio DESKS??

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
deepndark

23 Apr 2018

I might want to buy a decent studio-desk to get a maximum pleasure, when making music. I consider building one myself, at least then I could precisely get a spot-on working desk for my needs. But, if you know a place over a net, that sells em, then I'd be keen to check em out too. It would not make sense to order a pre-built one from America as example, but maybe someone builds/sells them in parts that I could construct then??

Right now I have a white PC-Desk, but my midikeyboard should be at lower level in height. I haven't googled anything yet as i was thinking to ask you first.

But: Here's an idea, maybe there's a desk that wasn't made for music purpose, but it works like a charm?
And I might want to throw 250€ maximum for a studio-desk.

Oquasec

23 Apr 2018

A studio desk makes an entire world of difference. It's really that drastic in terms of just getting things done.
I suggest if you can, get a good one
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

deepndark

23 Apr 2018

20180423_080837.jpg
20180423_080837.jpg (726.17 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
Here's my Desk that i have/use atm.
The qwerty keyboard level can be slided in and out. Anyway, my midi-keyboard is too up for to play it like a real keyboardist would wanna to. I'd like a desk that has a level at 70 cm. Then a level for qwerty-keyboard and mouse and my monitor-screen too.

Noplan
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2018

I found out for myself that a classic table is best.

+

Psuper

23 Apr 2018

I have the perfect setup for you (or for many people imho, I spent about a month brainstorming setups and testing things out for my available space). I'll get a photo of it later.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Palmeira

23 Apr 2018

Ikea do fantastic desks, can't recommend them highly enough!

Psuper

23 Apr 2018

This is the setup I settled on, and yep it's IKEA after my daughter dragged me there looking for a lamp, never thought about it beforehand. I tried many configurations and have several riser boards, pullouts, all kinda crap I ended up discarding (but paid for at IKEA in my "brainstorming" impulse purchases). I found this simply worked best even if it didn't look particularly fancy (which her paper Enderman says isn't important). This has the 43" 4k in the back, the mpk249 in front of it followed by the wireless keyboard, flanked by the bluesky monitors, easy access to the Discrete 4, sub, pc, etc - fits great, works even better.

The desktop is 59"l x 29.5"w and found here: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... #/10251352 Get the legs and you're good to go, nice and cheap.
Attachments
IMG_20180423_224053.jpg
IMG_20180423_224053.jpg (494.94 KiB) Viewed 4473 times

joeyluck

23 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
23 Apr 2018
This is the setup I settled on, and yep it's IKEA after my daughter dragged me there looking for a lamp, never thought about it beforehand. I tried many configurations and have several riser boards, pullouts, all kinda crap I ended up discarding (but paid for at IKEA in my "brainstorming" impulse purchases). I found this simply worked best even if it didn't look particularly fancy (which her paper Enderman says isn't important). This has the 43" 4k in the back, the mpk249 in front of it followed by the wireless keyboard, flanked by the bluesky monitors, easy access to the Discrete 4, sub, pc, etc - fits great, works even better.

The desktop is 59"l x 29.5"w and found here: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... #/10251352 Get the legs and you're good to go, nice and cheap.
I did the Ikea table as well!

I hate moving large desks. Another thing I like with the Ikea table is that the legs unscrew by just twisting them off.

This is an old picture when I first got it, as I was just starting to play around with the setup and throwing stuff on the table. I set the desk on some bed risers in order for my keyboard to fit underneath on the stand I have (at its lowest setting). That part of the setup has remained the same.

skie

24 Apr 2018

This would be my first choice (or the 61 key version) if I need to get a desk today https://rabaudio.com/cart?olsPage=products%2Fprorak-61

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2018

skie wrote:This would be my first choice (or the 61 key version) if I need to get a desk today https://rabaudio.com/cart?olsPage=products%2Fprorak-61
You can get more desk for far less $$ with this option (I have one and LOVE it!):
https://output.com/products/platform?gc ... _BwE#order

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

24 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018
skie wrote:This would be my first choice (or the 61 key version) if I need to get a desk today https://rabaudio.com/cart?olsPage=products%2Fprorak-61
You can get more desk for far less $$ with this option (I have one and LOVE it!):

Thats definitely a great value. I just wish the pillars under the monitor shelf were vertical instead of slanted so as to be flush against my rackmount soundcard (which I don't rack in I just leave it on the desk surface). But I the price is definitely right lol

Edit: I see how how the rack system actually works from their website, yea that thing rocks for sure. And there is a keyboard tray option! thanks for putting me on.

kinkujin

24 Apr 2018

I saw this ad on sound on sound once and bookmarked it. Not as if I can afford them. But golly are they gorgeous!

https://www.jamracks.com/

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2018

skie wrote:
selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018

Thats definitely a great value. I just wish the pillars under the monitor shelf were vertical instead of slanted so as to be flush against my rackmount soundcard (which I don't rack in I just leave it on the desk surface). But I the price is definitely right lol

Edit: I see how how the rack system actually works from their website, yea that thing rocks for sure. And there is a keyboard tray option! thanks for putting me on.
In case you missed it, the pillars under the monitor shelf CAN be mounted so they are flush, which is a nice option to have. My only reason for not mounting them that way was to provide “bumpers” so gear on the top surface would not accidentally slide into the protruding rack gear knobs etc. You can also adjust the optional keyboard tray so it slides further back beneath the main/upper desk (which I did).

If there is any down side, it would only be that it’s heavy when built. But functionally speaking, it’s working fantastically for me! :)

Selig Audio, LLC

skie

24 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018
skie wrote:

In case you missed it, the pillars under the monitor shelf CAN be mounted so they are flush, which is a nice option to have. My only reason for not mounting them that way was to provide “bumpers” so gear on the top surface would not accidentally slide into the protruding rack gear knobs etc. You can also adjust the optional keyboard tray so it slides further back beneath the main/upper desk (which I did).

If there is any down side, it would only be that it’s heavy when built. But functionally speaking, it’s working fantastically for me! :)

I imagine it is. $100 freight to the east coast is not bad either.

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2018

skie wrote:
selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018

I imagine it is. $100 freight to the east coast is not bad either.
They are very clever with the cut of the wood, designed to pack very flat by having interlocking pieces.

Selig Audio, LLC

skie

24 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018

They are very clever with the cut of the wood, designed to pack very flat by having interlocking pieces.

Does the wood have any kind of overpowering smell?

Psuper

24 Apr 2018

I looked at all those options plus quite a few more (and have had various configs over time), and money was never the deciding factor (though you stated sub $250). My deciding factors were:

1. Front desk space (had to house both my mpk249 and keyboard up front, in front of the monitor).
2. Monitor (video) and monitors (audio) must fit well horizontally in a row with the ability to raise the monitors up higher.
3. Monitor height at eye level (a 43" monitor up on those risers is a huge pita imo).
4. Easy front/rear access on the Discrete 4 (pain pulling it in and out of dedicated desk slots, unless you rarely recable).
5. Space underneath (no keyboard tray, easy access to sub and PC).
6. Desk top height about the same level as my KX8 (barely seen on the left).

Before you plunk any amount of money down, your first order of business is to visually draw the layout you need for your preferred workflow, and then look at what desks provide it. I had bought some extra bits and it wasn't until I measured some of my equipment and made a rough drawing that it all came together.

joeyluck

24 Apr 2018

There's some great modular desks out there such as the ones by Ultimate Support and others.
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/nuc-z-nav.html
I'm hesitant to place my heavy Studiologic keyboard on any keyboard tray. So separate shelves/stands for that make me more comfortable. And there are some that have rolling/sliding shelves, with an additional track at the bottom (with wheels), which seems pretty cool. Such as the one by Zaor:

I always thought the workstation stand by On-Stage Stands was pretty clever. Too bad it's discontinued. I wonder if there is anything else out there like this? I like the ability to where you can adjust just about everything and it collapses so you can move it around. Perhaps more targeted to folks for stage use, but I would use this at home...

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2018

skie wrote:
selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018

Does the wood have any kind of overpowering smell?
None I can tell, and I’m pretty sensitive to those things. I got the lighter color, which is sealed but not stained, so consider that... the guys at output are very responsive, so maybe ask them about the dark version if you’re interested. :)

Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

24 Apr 2018

I used to think a good desk was one of those "nice to haves" (I mean, buying gear is much more fun...), but when I started to work from home, it ironically got really tiring to sit at the same desk all day for work, and then have to keep sitting there if I wanted to continue working on my music. the solution: a sit-to-stand desk. best money I've spent on studio stuff in a long time. it cost me, but it was so worth it. it's awesome to be able to stand and play my guitar while recording, without having to hunch over the desk when I need to fiddle with something in Reason.
desk.jpg
desk.jpg (68.5 KiB) Viewed 4283 times
oh look, it didn't rotate. that's fun. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2018

guitfnky wrote:
24 Apr 2018
oh look, it didn't rotate. that's fun. :lol:
Aah, the convenience of using one's desk while lying down in one's bed, ...

dan_g

25 Apr 2018

Hi,

i build myself a custom shelf to sit on my ikea office desk.

This Pic is a bit older but its still how i got it now. except the second screen got replaced by the same 22" one. I Love the Shelf because my Monitors are at right height and my midi-keys fit right under it. in addition i put my 19" rack soundcard underneath in the center of the shelf, right over the keys.

:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

EnochLight

25 Apr 2018

I'm using an old Ikea Jerker, which is a desk they never should have discontinued IMHO. Love this thing! It's infinitely configurable and customizable, and is still holding solid almost 17 years after I got it. Here's the early version:

Ikea_Jerker.jpg
Ikea_Jerker.jpg (700.25 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
And here's what I ultimately have:

IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg (643.59 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

RobC

27 Apr 2018

Here's my Toilet Studio, as I call it. xD ~ With signature toilet paper.

(Yes, the weirder the keyboard, the more likely I will buy it. In fact, there's yet another mini keyboard I want to get. And another big one, but that wouldn't fit. Unless I throw the current one out, which is very likely.)

I also wanna add a hang rope, coming from the top light. (Not the ones for clothes. xD) Right! I used the cloth hanger things (yellow) to hold some cables up. Wasn't efficient, though due to being instable.

The room saving and ease of access, comfort, can't be argued. ; )
20180427_150112.jpg
20180427_150112.jpg (699.33 KiB) Viewed 4153 times

• Information