Noob volume question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrPinky

22 Apr 2018

Hi,
Sorry for the Noob question but I cannot find the answer online and ive been trying to change for ages!!

When I'm using ID8 some of the piano settings are so low that you cant hear them, like grand piano, others are at a normal level.

Where can I adjust this? I have tried everywhere.

thanks in advance

David

Sorped

22 Apr 2018

Apart from the volume knob on the ID8, you could use the gain control at the top of the mixer strip.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

22 Apr 2018

The problem is the dynamics. Comparing soft to loud velocities, the Grand piano is 24 dB from a velocity of 32 to 127, the Upright it 32 dB, but the Dance Piano is only 12 dB.

Or to put it another way, at a velocity of 64 (playing a three note chord), here's the peak output level of each:
Grand -19 dBFS
Upright -18 dBFS
Dance -6 dBFS

Plus, the upright sounds darker at lower velocities, so it doesn't cut through as well until you "pound" it!

At 127 velocity:
Grand -6 dBFS
Upright -3 dBFS
Dance -8 dBFS

So they are much closer in level at higher velocities, which says to me you may want to try to adjust velocities first. The reason being that if you increase the Volume much and then you play a full velocity at some point, you'll end up with a very hot signal (possibly able to clip the output if not reduced at some later point in the signal path).

The "problem" is with the dynamic range of the pianos, not so much their loudest level (which are all pretty close), which is why I suggest raising the lower levels rather than raising the overall level - UNLESS you are ONLY playing low velocities to achieve a softer/darker tone.
Selig Audio, LLC

TheNoog

22 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
22 Apr 2018
The problem is the dynamics. Comparing soft to loud velocities, the Grand piano is 24 dB from a velocity of 32 to 127, the Upright it 32 dB, but the Dance Piano is only 12 dB.

Or to put it another way, at a velocity of 64 (playing a three note chord), here's the peak output level of each:
Grand -19 dBFS
Upright -18 dBFS
Dance -6 dBFS

Plus, the upright sounds darker at lower velocities, so it doesn't cut through as well until you "pound" it!

At 127 velocity:
Grand -6 dBFS
Upright -3 dBFS
Dance -8 dBFS

So they are much closer in level at higher velocities, which says to me you may want to try to adjust velocities first. The reason being that if you increase the Volume much and then you play a full velocity at some point, you'll end up with a very hot signal (possibly able to clip the output if not reduced at some later point in the signal path).

The "problem" is with the dynamic range of the pianos, not so much their loudest level (which are all pretty close), which is why I suggest raising the lower levels rather than raising the overall level - UNLESS you are ONLY playing low velocities to achieve a softer/darker tone.
So the guy says he's a noob, asks a simple question about volume, and you throw THIS at him?

• Information