Using Reason and iOS apps now ridiculously easy!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

20 Apr 2018

I have never been a fan of using the two together. Everything so clumsy. So mostly take ideas from iOS to the computer.

But now with Inter-Device Audio & MIDI protocol ( IDAM ) , everything just falls into place easy.

In a nutshell: Connecting iOS device with lightning cable will send MIDI both ways and send digital audio out from iDevice to Reason.

*Create External MIDI Instrument, click iDevice on the drop down, and your controller plays the iOS synth.

*Create an Audio Track, and the iOS synth's digital audio via lightning connection is recorded in Reason.

Your controller can even trigger Alchemy (or any other instrument) in iOS Garageband and the digital audio goes back to Reason with no latency. (You could, if you wanted to, play the (smart) instruments in GB into Reason).

You need iOS 11. And a mac. I think at least El Capitan installed. It works for me with Sierra.

When you first connect the two, open up the AudioMIDI Setup, click open the Window>>Show Audio Device

Enable the iDevice that shows up and you are good to go. I think you can create an aggregate device with it as well. Not sure - haven't got around to testing that out.

This may be common knowledge, I dunno, but a search here didn't show this up.

Hope you find it useful. You can send any iOS app audio's out - iMaschine, Figure, YouTube etc and midi out from apps that can do so.
Last edited by stratatonic on 21 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

chimp_spanner

20 Apr 2018

Yeah sadly for us over here in PC land it's not possible (not without a third party app like Studiomux which is...not stable at the best of times). However I have had great results just using Link, and/or USB MIDI over the CCK. My iPad is very much a part of my studio now! But I am a little jealous of how well it integrates on Mac.

fieldframe
RE Developer

20 Apr 2018

I had read a little about IDAM, but I didn't realize it was that simple to set up. And furthermore, I didn't realize that GarageBand could serve as an IDAM bridge like that. Thanks for the explainer!

EnochLight

20 Apr 2018

I just stick to using Ableton Link with my iOS apps and Reason. I love the wireless setup to jam, and once I get something down I want to keep, I'll plug my headphone out into my RME Babyface Pro and record the audio in sync.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ljekio

21 Apr 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Apr 2018
Yeah sadly for us over here in PC land it's not possible (not without a third party app like Studiomux which is...not stable at the best of times). However I have had great results just using Link, and/or USB MIDI over the CCK. My iPad is very much a part of my studio now! But I am a little jealous of how well it integrates on Mac.
Maybe there is way with any PC bluetooth midi output drivers (if it presented)?

stratatonic

21 Apr 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Apr 2018
I was using the MusicIO app. And I always seemed to forgot how I set it up after not using it for a bit! And accidently clicking something and losing all connection while using it :redface: That won't happen with this - just too easy. I used the CCK too, but the one I have wouldn't charge the iPad while using it.

It would be great if this IDAM would send audio to the iDevice as well, so you could use iOS FX. Or even multi-channel. Looks like it is stereo out digital audio for now.

Maybe that's coming down the pike. But, being Apple, they will keep making us upgrade to latest OS and iOS and some other shenanigans, I'm sure, that break a good thing. Don't be jealous. (Well, ok, a little - it does work great right now :thumbs_up: ).
Last edited by stratatonic on 21 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

stratatonic

21 Apr 2018

fieldframe wrote:
20 Apr 2018
I had read a little about IDAM, but I didn't realize it was that simple to set up. And furthermore, I didn't realize that GarageBand could serve as an IDAM bridge like that. Thanks for the explainer!
Cheers! And there's some great content in GB. And it has better acoustic drums than Reason, imo.

stratatonic

21 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Apr 2018
I just stick to using Ableton Link with my iOS apps and Reason. I love the wireless setup to jam, and once I get something down I want to keep, I'll plug my headphone out into my RME Babyface Pro and record the audio in sync.
What apps do you use with Ableton Link and Reason? I should learn more about Link, I suppose. Haven't used it yet.

selig
RE Developer

21 Apr 2018

Thanks for this tip - I’ve never gotten around to using this with my iPad until now. After only a few seconds I had it up and running with audio and MIDI and Link!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

21 Apr 2018

stratatonic wrote:
21 Apr 2018
EnochLight wrote:
20 Apr 2018
What apps do you use with Ableton Link and Reason? I should learn more about Link, I suppose. Haven't used it yet.
Figure, iMaschine, Tera Synth, Bitwig Studio, Tweaky Beat, and a few others.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

25 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
21 Apr 2018
stratatonic wrote:
21 Apr 2018

Figure, iMaschine, Tera Synth, Bitwig Studio, Tweaky Beat, and a few others.
How are you using those apps with Link and Reason? I have been playing around with Link a bit and it just seems faster to Airdrop a rendered file from an app into Reason.

EnochLight

25 Apr 2018

stratatonic wrote:
25 Apr 2018
How are you using those apps with Link and Reason? I have been playing around with Link a bit and it just seems faster to Airdrop a rendered file from an app into Reason.
Live jamming, mostly. If I come up with something I like in the iOS app I'm running via Link, then I'll record the audio live. That said, if I've been tooling around with one of the apps on-the-go (away from the studio) and come up with something I want to expound upon, I'll sometimes sync it up via Link and mess with stuff in Reason just to see if I can add to it (and then record it).

I've AirDropped before when I came up with something I just wanted to slice up or use in Reason, though. Sky's the limit! :)

stratatonic

25 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
25 Apr 2018
stratatonic wrote:
25 Apr 2018
Live jamming, mostly. If I come up with something I like in the iOS app I'm running via Link, then I'll record the audio live. That said, if I've been tooling around with one of the apps on-the-go (away from the studio) and come up with something I want to expound upon, I'll sometimes sync it up via Link and mess with stuff in Reason just to see if I can add to it (and then record it).

I've AirDropped before when I came up with something I just wanted to slice up or use in Reason, though. Sky's the limit! :)
It seems like Link is more useful as a live jamming thing.

If I had made a bunch of drum patterns in iMaschine, for instance, when I was away from the computer, it would just be easier to Airdrop/email/cloud and into a Reason session, rather than record them all in real time. You have to deal with the latency as well recording in and shift:

The last three audio files in this Reason project show the latency from Airdrop, IDAM and Audio In at 64 samples. The playhead is at 1/256, which if my math is correct at 120 bpm is just under 8ms. So maybe under 7ms for IDAM and11-12ms for Audio In.

Whatever your results are, it would still have to be shifted somewhat.
Attachments
EMI IDAM LATENCY.jpeg
EMI IDAM LATENCY.jpeg (203.43 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
Last edited by stratatonic on 25 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

stratatonic

25 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
21 Apr 2018
Thanks for this tip - I’ve never gotten around to using this with my iPad until now. After only a few seconds I had it up and running with audio and MIDI and Link!
Cheers. :)

I'm curious about the latency between Logic and Reason using IDAM.
Looks like Logic's Latency is around 4ms to send a midi note to iPad and digitally back and Reason's is about 17-18 both at 64 samples.

Any thoughts as to why the difference?

Logic EXT INSTR IDAM latency.jpeg
Logic EXT INSTR IDAM latency.jpeg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Reason EMI IDAM latency.jpeg
Reason EMI IDAM latency.jpeg (72.91 KiB) Viewed 5859 times

kuhliloach

25 Apr 2018

wow! great post.

kinkujin

26 Apr 2018

Wow is right! Thanks for this thread!!

jimmyklane

26 Apr 2018

[/quote]
Cheers! And there's some great content in GB. And it has better acoustic drums than Reason, imo.
[/quote]

Not if you’ve got Reason Drums....IMO the Vintage Mono Kit is truly excellent for creating loops ala Amen Brother that just slot into a mix with just a little compression and EQ.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jimmyklane

26 Apr 2018

stratatonic wrote:
25 Apr 2018
selig wrote:
21 Apr 2018
Cheers. :)

I'm curious about the latency between Logic and Reason using IDAM.
Looks like Logic's Latency is around 4ms to send a midi note to iPad and digitally back and Reason's is about 17-18 both at 64 samples.

Any thoughts as to why the difference?

Logic EXT INSTR IDAM latency.jpeg

Reason EMI IDAM latency.jpeg
On the difference, I don’t know logic well enough but I really dislike that Reason seems to have significantly higher latency than other DAWs. I’ll admit to having not searched the forum so this may have been discussed at length, but my setup is capable of 2-3 milliseconds at 88.2kHz and a buffer size of 128 ( of course I can’t run much more than a bunch of vanilla audio tracks and built in devices either!) in programs like Nuendo/Cubase...but Reason is showing more like 19 ms round trip (8 out/11 in). Anyone familiar with WHY this is? My computer is completely optimized for real-time audio.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

selig
RE Developer

26 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
[/quote]

Not if you’ve got Reason Drums....IMO the Vintage Mono Kit is truly excellent for creating loops ala Amen Brother that just slot into a mix with just a little compression and EQ.[/quote]

The Vintage Mono kits are one of my secret weapons. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

26 Apr 2018

Just tried it a few hours ago. It's only 2 in 2 out and you need to set up an aggregate device to use it in Reason, but pretty useful if you're into using ios instruments.

stratatonic

27 Apr 2018

QVprod wrote:
26 Apr 2018
Just tried it a few hours ago. It's only 2 in 2 out and you need to set up an aggregate device to use it in Reason...
I did not need to set up an aggregate device to get MIDI both ways and digital audio into Reason. (Although I was using the built-in outpu)t.

But you say it's "2 in 2 out". I only see 2 in 0 out for me for the iPad to mac in the AudioMIDI Setup. ???

Are you saying you can get digital audio into the iPad from Reason?
QVprod wrote:
26 Apr 2018
...pretty useful if you're into using ios instruments.
Wasn't really into too much into them until now. Too easy - it's basically plug n play.

No more VST or REs anymore. just good cheap iOS synths.

QVprod

27 Apr 2018

stratatonic wrote:
27 Apr 2018
QVprod wrote:
26 Apr 2018
Just tried it a few hours ago. It's only 2 in 2 out and you need to set up an aggregate device to use it in Reason...
I did not need to set up an aggregate device to get MIDI both ways and digital audio into Reason. (Although I was using the built-in outpu)t.

But you say it's "2 in 2 out". I only see 2 in 0 out for me for the iPad to mac in the AudioMIDI Setup. ???

QVprod wrote:
26 Apr 2018
...pretty useful if you're into using ios instruments.
Wasn't really into too much into them until now. Too easy - it's basically plug n play.

No more VST or REs anymore. just good cheap iOS synths.
Yes 2 in 2 out audio. Have to set up an aggregate device to have access to both your audio interface as well as the ios input. Doesn't replace VST for me though as this essentially works like using hardware so EMIs + audio tracks, printing instruments one by one...etc... not really my thing. But for those who don't mind that process it's a wonderful solution.

amcjen

27 Apr 2018

I’m super excited about this bc I just picked up some goodies from the recent Moog sale. Thanks for the tip!

stratatonic

27 Apr 2018

QVprod wrote:
27 Apr 2018
stratatonic wrote:
27 Apr 2018

Yes 2 in 2 out audio. Have to set up an aggregate device to have access to both your audio interface as well as the ios input.
Well, I didn't set up an aggregate device. I see "iPad + Built-In Output" in Reason Preferences though, so it was done automagically. If I was going to use my audio interface, yes, I'd have to create an aggregate device.
But how did you route audio into iDevice through the lightning cable?

You say you are getting digital audio INTO the iPad. I can't see how this is done as I only have a 2 In / O out into the mac. After clicking Enable, the iOS device basically becomes a USB audio input to mac, not an output. I must be missing something here. :(

QVprod

28 Apr 2018

stratatonic wrote:
27 Apr 2018
QVprod wrote:
27 Apr 2018

Yes 2 in 2 out audio. Have to set up an aggregate device to have access to both your audio interface as well as the ios input.
Well, I didn't set up an aggregate device. I see "iPad + Built-In Output" in Reason Preferences though, so it was done automagically. If I was going to use my audio interface, yes, I'd have to create an aggregate device.
But how did you route audio into iDevice through the lightning cable?

You say you are getting digital audio INTO the iPad. I can't see how this is done as I only have a 2 In / O out into the mac. After clicking Enable, the iOS device basically becomes a USB audio input to mac, not an output. I must be missing something here. :(
I might have misread. its probably 2 in 0 out.

• Information