Making This Control Surface Work Properly....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
agentgfunk

20 Apr 2018

Hey guys-

Following up on a thread I posted a couple weeks ago.

My Mackie MCU I ordered through the GC employee purchase program arrived earlier today. I'm busy getting it all set up - I found out the master fader doesn't work in Pro Tools which really pisses me off....

Anyway...

After setting up with Reason (no Reason lexan comes with it anymore), I am finding it difficult to get it working the way I want it to with it.

I assumed it would default to controlling the SSL mixer, but for some reason, whenever I load ANY session, the MCU immediately loads up one of the tracks as its primary interface and the faders and buttons all just begin to control parameters of the track. Oscillators, filters, etc. This would be what I'd want the C4 for as I mentioned in the other post.... It's highly annoying it's not working the way anyone would want it to work.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Maybe knocked it into some mode when I first started it up.

Does anyone know how to fix this and get it to control the mixer??

Please and thank you.

agentgfunk

20 Apr 2018

BUMPPPPP

Djstarski

20 Apr 2018

Try right clicking on the master channel in the mixer and near the bottom of the menu your controller may show up . click on it and see if that makes a difference .

agentgfunk

20 Apr 2018

That's interesting. I'll try this tonight.

brand

20 Apr 2018

agentgfunk wrote:
20 Apr 2018
Hey guys-

Following up on a thread I posted a couple weeks ago.

My Mackie MCU I ordered through the GC employee purchase program arrived earlier today. I'm busy getting it all set up - I found out the master fader doesn't work in Pro Tools which really pisses me off....

Anyway...

After setting up with Reason (no Reason lexan comes with it anymore), I am finding it difficult to get it working the way I want it to with it.

I assumed it would default to controlling the SSL mixer, but for some reason, whenever I load ANY session, the MCU immediately loads up one of the tracks as its primary interface and the faders and buttons all just begin to control parameters of the track. Oscillators, filters, etc. This would be what I'd want the C4 for as I mentioned in the other post.... It's highly annoying it's not working the way anyone would want it to work.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Maybe knocked it into some mode when I first started it up.

Does anyone know how to fix this and get it to control the mixer??

Please and thank you.
I have this surface, and love it. (Just scared now of when Allison's thingy may be done, because I might have to buy it - OUCH! :) )

This post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7343641&hilit=mcu+it+works is a good one. Maybe check this out.
Been away from my gear for a little while, but the issue you're having may be the fact that it is following the master keyboard. This is why the MCU is controlling the active track synth or whatever. So the surface locking to master section solves this. Should also control master fader fine, and banking. (I don't have Pro Tools, but you have to set it to HUI mode for Pro Tools - you probably know...but I have no idea why the master fader should not work in PT).

I figure I have to set up a template session and use that template for every session. What I was thinking is that it might also be good for a mixing / mastering template to have the surface locked to master section. I did not try that yet, but i think it should work....then you would not have change each time. You may have to fiddle a bit, like with the assignment buttons, but as I recall it controls everything in the SSL.

I recently got the overlay, which I'm glad to have. I'd be nice if it came with the unit, but I figured for this money, why am I being cheap about the overlay? :) BUT I am uncomfortable with peeling off the backing and sticking it on. I just put it on dry.

Anyway, does it help?

• Information