Locking Audio?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tallguy

18 Apr 2018

Is there a way to lock or protect an audio track? Every time I try to record the automation of an audio track (panning, volume) Reason defaults to wiping out the audio. If I set the track to only record automation, next time I select the track, it will default back to recording both audio and automation.

- Is there a way to lock/protect an audio recording?...
- ...or is there a way to let Reason default to NOT record over an existing audio...
- ...or is there a way for Reason to remember which tracks you disable record audio/automation?

tallguy

19 Apr 2018

I guess the deafening silence is the answer: No, it can't be done.

Coming from a graphics/animation background using the likes of Photoshop and After Effects, I'm always surprised how underdeveloped certain aspects of audio software are in comparison (or at least, Reason is). Being able to lock layers and certain parameters of layers to avoid accidental overwrite has been in Photoshop for years, so my natural assumption is that it is a universal thing. Guess not.

selig
RE Developer

19 Apr 2018

tallguy wrote:I guess the deafening silence is the answer: No, it can't be done.

Coming from a graphics/animation background using the likes of Photoshop and After Effects, I'm always surprised how underdeveloped certain aspects of audio software are in comparison (or at least, Reason is). Being able to lock layers and certain parameters of layers to avoid accidental overwrite has been in Photoshop for years, so my natural assumption is that it is a universal thing. Guess not.
It is possible to lock clips in other apps, but not Reason. There are many things from the graphics and video worlds I’d like to see in audio apps, and Reason in particular. Hiding tracks (like hiding layers), magnetic timeline, group/ungrounded elements (even across tracks), aligning elements, etc…

Reason seems to take a slower approach to adding common features, which can be frustrating to be sure. The good news is they typically are super solid on the features they DO add, which is important to many (myself included).
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

tallguy

19 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
19 Apr 2018

Reason seems to take a slower approach to adding common features, which can be frustrating to be sure. The good news is they typically are super solid on the features they DO add, which is important to many (myself included).
Fair enough. I can appreciate that way of thinking. It's just so glaring having worked with video editing software how underdeveloped the "timeline" is in Reason. Here's hoping they're concentrating on improving that in a near future release.

campbejo
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2018

a possible workaround could be to arm your audio tracks as sources and record to a new audio track. Maybe setup a template with multiple audio tracks already routed. I tested it now and you can arm the original track to only record automation and the new track to record the audio meaning you get both pieces of data while keeping the original intact.

selig
RE Developer

19 Apr 2018

tallguy wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Apr 2018

[emoji3]
Fair enough. I can appreciate that way of thinking. It's just so glaring having worked with video editing software how underdeveloped the "timeline" is in Reason. Here's hoping they're concentrating on improving that in a near future release.
Speaking to your original question, which I didn’t directly address, I would file this under “bad design” in my book.

That is to say, the “unhappy path” (when it is inevitable) should be the one that causes the least harm/frustration. In this case the worst case should be that when you disarm audio on a track, and then move away and then return to it you should have to RE-ARM it to record. Thus, the worst case (unhappy path) is you go to record and you don’t hear (or see) what you expect and you have to engage the record button. This is compared to recording automation and realizing you’re erasing the audio on that track!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

tallguy

20 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
19 Apr 2018
a possible workaround could be to arm your audio tracks as sources and record to a new audio track. Maybe setup a template with multiple audio tracks already routed. I tested it now and you can arm the original track to only record automation and the new track to record the audio meaning you get both pieces of data while keeping the original intact.
OK, I tried understanding what you're telling me, but must admit I don't know what you mean by "arm"

campbejo
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2018

tallguy wrote:
20 Apr 2018
campbejo wrote:
19 Apr 2018
OK, I tried understanding what you're telling me, but must admit I don't know what you mean by "arm"
I wasn't very clear. I picked you up wrong anyway and what I suggested would have actually added to your workload :lol:

However I did find another solution if I understand you correctly. Select manual record on the top left hand side of the sequencer. This stops reason automatically enabling record and automation but once you enable automation yourself reason remembers so you wont have to keep doing it everytime you try to record.

tallguy

21 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
20 Apr 2018

However I did find another solution if I understand you correctly. Select manual record on the top left hand side of the sequencer. This stops reason automatically enabling record and automation but once you enable automation yourself reason remembers so you wont have to keep doing it everytime you try to record.
Selecting Manual Record did the trick. Thanks Cambejo.

ProfessaKaos

21 Apr 2018

tallguy wrote:
19 Apr 2018
selig wrote:
19 Apr 2018

100% :thumbs_up:
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information