Channel Faders Always Below Subgroup or Master Faders?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
skie

17 Apr 2018

I'm reading a book published in '06 that says "One rule exists in the analog world that apltly applies to digital too: The level of the channel faders should always stay below the subgroup or master fader". Reason being "just a single channel with big chunks of EQ or an insert with an effects plug in maxed can destroy any semblance of a good sounding mix".

My Question: Would this still be true in Reason 9?? Thanks!

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2018

skie wrote:I'm reading a book published in '06 that says "One rule exists in the analog world that apltly applies to digital too: The level of the channel faders should always stay below the subgroup or master fader". Reason being "just a single channel with big chunks of EQ or an insert with an effects plug in maxed can destroy any semblance of a good sounding mix".

My Question: Would this still be true in Reason 9?? Thanks!
The position of the faders may, or may not, have ANYTHING to do with a good sounding mix. I don’t see the relation to fader position and EQ/inserts. Could just as easily be a terrible mix with all faders lower than the master or subgroup.

Basically, makes no sense to me as stated…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

17 Apr 2018

OK well that's a relief as I don't have to frantically review my mixes. I can see how it would make sense in Analog but the book didn't really explain why it would matter in Digital - btw its "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook Second Edition" by Bobby Owsinski. Thank you for the reassurance Selig.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2018

skie wrote:OK well that's a relief as I don't have to frantically review my mixes. I can see how it would make sense in Analog but the book didn't really explain why it would matter in Digital - btw its "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook Second Edition" by Bobby Owsinski. Thank you for the reassurance Selig.
I’m not even sure it totally matters in analog. What matters is the signal level, not where the fader of knob is positioned! Levels are EVERYTHING in analog, and only a little less important in digital. But some folks get all caught up in where the knob or fader is positioned, which is only a part of the story - and sometimes not even that.

To put it another way, the fader can be all the way up, and the signal level STILL be too low. Or the opposite, the fader can be low and the signal can be too hot (less likely, but still possible).

Like many things, it’s relative, and it’s contextual.
;)

Selig Audio, LLC

skie

17 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
17 Apr 2018

I’m not even sure it totally matters in analog. What matters is the signal level, not where the fader of knob is positioned! Levels are EVERYTHING in analog, and only a little less important in digital. But some folks get all caught up in where the knob or fader is positioned, which is only a part of the story - and sometimes not even that.

To put it another way, the fader can be all the way up, and the signal level STILL be too low. Or the opposite, the fader can be low and the signal can be too hot (less likely, but still possible).

Like many things, it’s relative, and it’s contextual.
;)

Cool I was worried because sometimes if my mix starts to run too hot I'll just group everything to one channel and lower it (instead of lowering each fader individually). On a brighter not I just got my first placement with a rapper Royce da 5'9 so super stoked on that! You and this forum have helped me out a great deal over the years.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2018

skie wrote: Cool I was worried because sometimes if my mix starts to run too hot I'll just group everything to one channel and lower it (instead of lowering each fader individually). On a brighter not I just got my first placement with a rapper Royce da 5'9 so super stoked on that! You and this forum have helped me out a great deal over the years.
Damn, congrats!

Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

18 Apr 2018

Why would this matter even in analogue?
Noise floor? Clipping?

Why would someone bother writing something like that in a book without going on to explain why?

QVprod

18 Apr 2018

skie wrote:
17 Apr 2018

Cool I was worried because sometimes if my mix starts to run too hot I'll just group everything to one channel and lower it (instead of lowering each fader individually). On a brighter not I just got my first placement with a rapper Royce da 5'9 so super stoked on that! You and this forum have helped me out a great deal over the years.
That's fantastic! Congrats.

skie

19 Apr 2018

QVprod wrote:
18 Apr 2018
skie wrote:
17 Apr 2018

That's fantastic! Congrats.
Thank you very much!

• Information