Volume change while export

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Wylany165

16 Apr 2018

Hi everyone!

I've got a really strange issue. It's present from a very beginning of my adventure with Reason. It took me some time to realize what's happening. The thing is, that when I export a song or loop, some audio tracks gets unbelievably loud. Here is an example. I have only instruments tracks except vocals, which are audio. When I export the song it sounds like vocals distorted as hell and the other stuff in original level. This level remains only to next Reason startup. This happens only to vocals as far as I found, which makes thing more strange to me :?:
I was really confused with this issue, thinking I'm somehow dumb or something. In this situation I started to change gains, then export again and save the project. Next time I've returned to the project I've found that Vox are ridiculously silent.
I don't have any idea what makes it happen, maybe someone will?

MannequinRaces

16 Apr 2018

Is Reason clipping before you export your song?

Wylany165

18 Apr 2018

Clipping as hell! Today I've found it happens when there are some voc tracks routed to group. When I routed them to master and soloed them they bounced properly.
So, finally I've found the solution :)
My fault is that I routed to a mix channel instead of bus. Still I don't think it should change the volumes while bouncing/exporting even if it's not a right way of routing. What you think?

campbejo
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

Check if your exporting your buses and master section along with your mix stems. Could be that your hearing your mix plus busses plus master section.

Wylany165

18 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Check if your exporting your buses and master section along with your mix stems. Could be that your hearing your mix plus busses plus master section.
Check out my previous post. I've found what I was doing wrong, though it doesn't explain why anything changes after export.
I don't touch anything and after export it plays mentioned tracks lauder and they are bounced lauder then they had been set.

MannequinRaces

19 Apr 2018

Sounds to me like if you're clipping the master output you're not using a limiter. Also sounds like overall you're running your levels too hot. Linked is a Propellerhead video on levels and clipping that might help you out in that area if you haven't watched it yet or are unfamiliar with the topic.

madmacman

19 Apr 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
19 Apr 2018
Sounds to me like if you're clipping the master output you're not using a limiter. Also sounds like overall you're running your levels too hot. Linked is a Propellerhead video on levels and clipping that might help you out in that area if you haven't watched it yet or are unfamiliar with the topic.
If find this topic quite difficult. I recently had some bad experience with my (lack of) knowledge. I thought my channel levels were way too low (when watching the track meters) but the exported result was clipping as hell! I even used a Limiter (Kuassa) as final Plugin - but maybe in a wrong way.

My takeaway from the video above was lowering the master gain level until it was not jumping into the red. The result was more pleasant and when inspecting the wav file in an external editor, it was no longer clipping, but remained into the expected boundaries.

No idea, if this is the correct or recommended way, but at least it removed the clipping from my exported file.

Wylany165

10 Sep 2018

Ok, so a had a little rest from this strange behaviour of Reason, but recently it happens again.
So let me explain once again :)

I have a mix, which sounds properly. After exporting it as a song something changes. Suddenly the level of vocals is changed. This happens in a exported file and (hold on) in a project file. None of fader or knob is tweaked but audible level of (only) vocals is terribly increased. If I then restart the Reason everything is fine again (as long I don't export a song)
Moreover, when I decrease the level of vocals to desired level and save the project they will be to quiet after restart.
I guess it's a bug.
Once again - it's not about clipping in the mix or using the limiters or something. It's about unexpected changes in my projects which happen while exporting.

Wylany165

10 Sep 2018

This is before export:
before export.mov
(137.72 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
An this is what happens after I export. Without touching anything.
after export.mov
(186.96 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

NekujaK

10 Sep 2018

It's difficult for me to tell what might be the exact cause of your export problem, but here are some things to check out:
  • Does the fader for the vocal track have unwanted automation on it? The fader will be surrounded by a bright green border if it's being automated.
  • Is there some kind of CV modulation manipulating the vocal track?
  • Conversely, is there automation or CV manipulating the other non-vocal tracks, perhaps making them quieter as the song progresses? It might be that your problem is not the vocal getting louder, but the backing track becoming too quiet.
  • Do you have your master output routed to the "Control Room Out" knob? If you do, be sure to set this knob to unity before rendering and listen to the track in Reason first.
  • Mute all tracks except the vocal and render. Then mute the vocal and render the instrumental track. Compare the two rendered files - are they balanced in relation to each other, or is the vocal still too loud (or background too quiet)?
Don't know if any of this helps, but at least they're some basic troubleshooting steps you can take.

Edit: I was typing this before seeing your video clips, so some of the above points won't apply to your situation.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

antic604

11 Sep 2018

Wylany165 wrote:
10 Sep 2018
This is before export:
before export.mov

An this is what happens after I export. Without touching anything.
after export.mov
Can you explain exactly - step by step - what you're doing? Which options & settings are you choosing? It's weird that you monitor your exported file through the same channels again - it should be a completely new track with fader at zero.

I have a feeling you're exporting something, then putting it again on the same track from which you exported it, which means it goes through the same effects, mixer settings, etc. again.

demt

11 Sep 2018

erm ive had the same sort of problem for 1/2 a year im still worried but passable ish something about izotope neutron fixes it but not on splice , update payment broke,sole ownership 1
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

friday

11 Sep 2018

Please post the reason file, simplest way is to share it on a cloud storage service.

Djstarski

11 Sep 2018

Quick question . Are you exporting your track and then bringing it back into the same project and pressing play ?

Wylany165

26 Sep 2018

Solved!

It was a line6 vet running via Jbridger cause there are no 64 bit plugins of pod farm on Mac.
Deleting these plugs solved this issue absolutely. Thank all of you for your help!

Avith

06 Oct 2022

I found this topic while searching for my problem in google.
I see that OP fixed his problem but in my case I am not using any third party plugins or effects, and when I render my song one of the channels have a very different volume, I am not using CV, automations or modulations and still this channel changes its volume only when I render it.

jam-s

06 Oct 2022

Avith wrote:
06 Oct 2022
I found this topic while searching for my problem in google.
I see that OP fixed his problem but in my case I am not using any third party plugins or effects, and when I render my song one of the channels have a very different volume, I am not using CV, automations or modulations and still this channel changes its volume only when I render it.
That's far too little info to give you any possible hints on the cause.

• Information