How many gig sample content in R 10?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Telstar5

13 Apr 2018

This article states that Reason 10 has 3+ megabytes of additional content . Anyone know the total number in gigabytes. I’m not expecting anything like Logic 10’s whopping 57 gigs or even Digital Performer’s 45 gig. But ReReason never actually states the number . Anyone know? :?:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.emusic ... of-samples

WongoTheSane

13 Apr 2018

It's 3.3 Gb compressed, which is equivalent to about 7 Gb uncompressed. That's only for new samples content: the new optional devices (Klang, Pangea, etc) add another 3 Gb compressed on top of that.

Telstar5

13 Apr 2018

Thanks.. So a little over 6 total. Thats less than most but I guess its all in wjat can be done woth it .

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2018

The amount of GB alone tells you very little on its own tbh.

For example, this one piano is 13GB. Granted it's part of a 500GB library, but GB provides you very little knowledge without context. Worse still, it could be completely unplayable, and ideally processed offline (as is the case for some EWQL instruments).

For reference, workstations like the Korg Triton often have a mere 32-64MB of samples, while the neosounds refill that multisamples the Korg Triton weighs in at 2GB and the hypersampled Fantom X refill at 6GB.
Last edited by avasopht on 13 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

13 Apr 2018

Depends on how you count. The ReFills (optional and not optional) are around 7GB compressed, much bigger uncompressed. Add to that the sample content included in devices like Klang, Pangea, Humana, Radical PIano etc. it's quite a big library. :)

mark999

17 Apr 2018

I'm very glad that Reason 10's sample bank and downloadable content is big, but still moderate. Basically you get everything you need (and much more) without it being too large. There are thousands and thousands of samples and more than enough to make several albums of practically any genre of music.
Logic's crazy big sample library is just too big... you would need several lifetimes to go through it and make the most of it... it just takes up a massive amount of room on your HD and 90% of it never gets used. Reason's library on the other hand is just perfect.

Psuper

17 Apr 2018

Aside from the orchestra stuff (which frankly there's immensely better alternatives for orchestration than Reason), I'd prefer few to no samples at all if it could be helped. It's one of the more compelling attributes of Reason I prefer over other instrument-driven DAWS - a slimmer sample-based soundset. And also a large part of choosing Reaper as my backup.

Of course I'm likely the only one around who sees that as a plus as I use Reason almost exclusively for effects chains and piano/voice recording.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

chaosroyale

17 Apr 2018

While I wouldn't use "how many Gigs of data" as much of a metric to compare DAWS, I think one of the things Reason did right recently is to make the romplers, various refills and drum bank optional downloads. This is good for people who want to keep things streamlined and who make their own samples / already have a gajillion samples or who simply don't need those particular instruments.

However, one criticism I would have about the recent drum bank is that it contained so many redundant samples, particularly duplicates of standard-issue electronic kicks. This makes it slower and more confusing to find samples that you need. I found several which were the same kick resampled with short, medium and long decay - but the Reason drum machines all have decay so what's the point, just include the longest one and let the user choose the decay time. Plus a lot of kicks which were technically "different" but functionally identical, again simply by tweaking the parameters on the drum machine. Could easily have been half the size without losing any of the content.

Oquasec

17 Apr 2018

Oh yeah, each update they not only add devices they actually make more patches and stuff.
Libraries and devices and patches
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information