Reason 10 Lite (with Akai controllers)

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1947
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Certainly I recognize my usage of reason is vastly different than many which is why I made the point, however I'd also argue a good portion of users typically wouldn't need more than 8 tracks. Regardless, there are plenty of ways around the limitation.

I'd take a vastly different approach to "pull" users in if that's their top goal, of which I've made clear plenty of times how I'd tackle it. However I have no idea what is working or not for Props, and I'm pretty certain no one will ever know one way or the other.
Propellerhead have analytics that we don't.

Chances are they are making the best choice as they have data to inform their decisions.
---

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

Post 12 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Anyway, there are far more learned men and women who steer the ship. I'm fairly certain they know what they're doing.
That is a weak argument, one I've been hit with often enough (about 3 times now here on RT alone) and frankly look at it as a compliment, even though it does tend to apply to the majority of random voices (including the ones who happily agree with any move a company makes). However you have no idea what any of us do or did for a living, and perhaps those learned men and women might learn something to become more learned.

Help or Hurt a company? Meaningful interaction with their customers. I know the answer, and while its not as simple as it seems, its more telling than anything.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6067
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 12 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018
EnochLight wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Anyway, there are far more learned men and women who steer the ship. I'm fairly certain they know what they're doing.
That is a weak argument, one I've been hit with often enough (about 3 times now here on RT alone) and frankly look at it as a compliment, even though it does tend to apply to the majority of random voices (including the ones who happily agree with any move a company makes). However you have no idea what any of us do or did for a living, and perhaps those learned men and women might learn something to become more learned.

Help or Hurt a company? Meaningful interaction with their customers. I know the answer, and while its not as simple as it seems, its more telling than anything.
Fair point. Maybe there's some people here in the forums who actually work for companies who make an actual DAW, in the marketing department, who could offer their insight? Except Cakewalk marketing department employees. They can piss off. :D
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1947
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018
EnochLight wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Anyway, there are far more learned men and women who steer the ship. I'm fairly certain they know what they're doing.
That is a weak argument, one I've been hit with often enough (about 3 times now here on RT alone) and frankly look at it as a compliment, even though it does tend to apply to the majority of random voices (including the ones who happily agree with any move a company makes). However you have no idea what any of us do or did for a living, and perhaps those learned men and women might learn something to become more learned.

Help or Hurt a company? Meaningful interaction with their customers. I know the answer, and while its not as simple as it seems, its more telling than anything.
See my comment above. They have a tonne of analytics on how people are using the application now so they have a good idea of what features to offer in a lite version.
---

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

Post 12 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018


That is a weak argument, one I've been hit with often enough (about 3 times now here on RT alone) and frankly look at it as a compliment, even though it does tend to apply to the majority of random voices (including the ones who happily agree with any move a company makes). However you have no idea what any of us do or did for a living, and perhaps those learned men and women might learn something to become more learned.

Help or Hurt a company? Meaningful interaction with their customers. I know the answer, and while its not as simple as it seems, its more telling than anything.
See my comment above. They have a tonne of analytics on how people are using the application now so they have a good idea of what features to offer in a lite version.
Yes they have internal data analytics, which has very little to do with marketing strategy, nor how to attract new users, nor how to keep their current base happy, nor how to keep their REdevs developing, nor a whole ton of stuff that has little to do with analytics.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 673
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 12 Apr 2018

I'd guess the cause of Ableton Live being the world's leading DAW today is the same as the cause behind Reason 5 gaining popularity when it did: no copy-protection, or limited copy-protection. People want amazing tools, have good hearts, and are curious by nature. But all kinds of people may NEVER have the big bucks to shell out for software--they're lucky if they can afford an education, or even food on the table. So in my opinion, regarding widespread adoption, there's no substitute for making the program easily available to each and every living person. Hoarding the tech away is essentially hiding the tech from the masses. Ask yourself: Why, on Bandcamp, have fans have paid artists $286 million, and $7.2 million in the last 30 days alone, for songs that playback free?

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6067
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 12 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Yes they have internal data analytics, which has very little to do with marketing strategy, nor how to attract new users, nor how to keep their current base happy, nor how to keep their REdevs developing, nor a whole ton of stuff that has little to do with analytics.
From your perspective, perhaps. It's easy for all of us to play conjecture when we don't know the whole story, though.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2391
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Sure but Live Lite is freely downloadable by anyone, plus I've never loaded freebs on a CD from any hardware purchase.
You actually need a license to use it. The download link is just easily accessible.
kuhliloach wrote:
12 Apr 2018
I'd guess the cause of Ableton Live being the world's leading DAW today is the same as the cause behind Reason 5 gaining popularity when it did: no copy-protection, or limited copy-protection. People want amazing tools, have good hearts, and are curious by nature. But all kinds of people may NEVER have the big bucks to shell out for software--they're lucky if they can afford an education, or even food on the table. So in my opinion, regarding widespread adoption, there's no substitute for making the program easily available to each and every living person. Hoarding the tech away is essentially hiding the tech from the masses. Ask yourself: Why, on Bandcamp, have fans have paid artists $286 million, and $7.2 million in the last 30 days alone, for songs that playback free?
Actually it comes down to people just happening to like it. And of course the popularity depends on who we're talking about. Audio engineers aren't using Live for their needs. Live doesn't have limited copy protection. It's account based. Just happens to be easy to crack, but it's not less easy to crack than most other software. By that argument everything would be equally popular. For that matter, Reaper can indefinitely be used for "free" without being cracked and it's not nearly as popular as Live.

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 673
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 12 Apr 2018

absolutely QVprod - I neglected to mention that Ableton Live also happens to deserve its popularity due to being great software. But I wonder: if it had bulletproof copy-protection would it be nearly as widespread at this time?

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1947
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2018

QVprod wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Actually it comes down to people just happening to like it. And of course the popularity depends on who we're talking about. Audio engineers aren't using Live for their needs. Live doesn't have limited copy protection. It's account based. Just happens to be easy to crack, but it's not less easy to crack than most other software. By that argument everything would be equally popular. For that matter, Reaper can indefinitely be used for "free" without being cracked and it's not nearly as popular as Live.
I don't think anyone is saying that just having it cracked means it will be popular by that alone. It also has to actually be good. Virality (how much a product is shared) is a huge growth factor. It's no different to the influence a good demo could have (particularly a shareable one).

I know it worked on me. Had I not been given a copy of Reason I'd have happily continued using Computer Muzys. I'm not a fan of limited product demos, because having 10 patches out of 5,000 gives me no indication it covers what I will actually need. And seeing that it gives me 8 tracks and only 70% of the devices is a put off as well. Maybe those are the only devices worth using. Either way I just switch off.

It's why I purchased Steinberg's Absolute bundle instead of IK's Sampletank. I already have the Sonic Reality Gold Bundle, so I need to listen to and play a number of patches on its soundbank to know whether it's actually worth it.

Steinberg gave me a 30 day full featured demo of Halion Sonic. I was able to really play the sounds. Now I've bought Halion Sonic and not Sampletank 3.

We all have a different buying process (marketing 101). Some consumers just need to sit down and try it out first (even if it's in a shop) otherwise they will never buy your product if it's a high involvement purchase. Especially when it's difficult to differentiate between alternatives.

I did preorder Melodyne DNA though, but I used it for about 5 minutes and sold it a few years later :cry:
---

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6067
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 12 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
12 Apr 2018
I did preorder Melodyne DNA though, but I used it for about 5 minutes and sold it a few years later :cry:
:( :o :shock: :shock: :shock: Dafuq??! Melodyne Editor's DNA is like audio freak'n magic, man! To date, no other software on the planet can do what it does. You weren't impressed?
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1947
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
12 Apr 2018
avasopht wrote:
12 Apr 2018
I did preorder Melodyne DNA though, but I used it for about 5 minutes and sold it a few years later :cry:
:( :o :shock: :shock: :shock: Dafuq??! Melodyne Editor's DNA is like audio freak'n magic, man! To date, no other software on the planet can do what it does. You weren't impressed?
Crashed when it was trying to process some guitar.

I was super impressed with it when it did work, but the crashing was a huge turnoff.

It probably was a little rash to sell it though. Plus with Neptune and vocal-friendly timestretch, it was a no-brainer that Reason was going to get pitch editing some day soon ;) That was part of my reasoning.
---

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2391
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
12 Apr 2018
QVprod wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Actually it comes down to people just happening to like it. And of course the popularity depends on who we're talking about. Audio engineers aren't using Live for their needs. Live doesn't have limited copy protection. It's account based. Just happens to be easy to crack, but it's not less easy to crack than most other software. By that argument everything would be equally popular. For that matter, Reaper can indefinitely be used for "free" without being cracked and it's not nearly as popular as Live.
I don't think anyone is saying that just having it cracked means it will be popular by that alone. It also has to actually be good. Virality (how much a product is shared) is a huge growth factor. It's no different to the influence a good demo could have (particularly a shareable one).

I know it worked on me. Had I not been given a copy of Reason I'd have happily continued using Computer Muzys. I'm not a fan of limited product demos, because having 10 patches out of 5,000 gives me no indication it covers what I will actually need. And seeing that it gives me 8 tracks and only 70% of the devices is a put off as well. Maybe those are the only devices worth using. Either way I just switch off.

It's why I purchased Steinberg's Absolute bundle instead of IK's Sampletank. I already have the Sonic Reality Gold Bundle, so I need to listen to and play a number of patches on its soundbank to know whether it's actually worth it.

Steinberg gave me a 30 day full featured demo of Halion Sonic. I was able to really play the sounds. Now I've bought Halion Sonic and not Sampletank 3.

We all have a different buying process (marketing 101). Some consumers just need to sit down and try it out first (even if it's in a shop) otherwise they will never buy your product if it's a high involvement purchase. Especially when it's difficult to differentiate between alternatives.

I did preorder Melodyne DNA though, but I used it for about 5 minutes and sold it a few years later :cry:
That's not what I was inferring, rather I was responding to the notion that the a key new customers is making it easy to crack. That's why I mentioned Reaper. It's not that Reaper isn't good at all, people just seem to like other options more. I started out with a copy of reason from a friend as well., but that was because I barely knew about it. I only knew about FL Studio and an MPC. When Record came out, I made sure I bought the Reason Record duo because I liked it enough. Record was uncrackable. Personally I think these limited versions take care of that virality aspect. I'd dare say a fair part of Ableton Live's popularity is the fact that the Lite version comes free with so many products. I think differently. If a limited version is enough to impress me, I'll find interest in the full version as there's more to be had. Simply looking into the product can give you the idea of what's missing and whether or not it's interesting enough to purchase the full thing. In the case of Reason, theres is the full demo, and the limited versions are actually a pretty good value offering far greater than what any other limited DAW offers imo. Even Psuper posted above about Reason Lite being more appealing to him than the full version.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6067
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 13 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
12 Apr 2018
EnochLight wrote:
12 Apr 2018


:( :o :shock: :shock: :shock: Dafuq??! Melodyne Editor's DNA is like audio freak'n magic, man! To date, no other software on the planet can do what it does. You weren't impressed?
Crashed when it was trying to process some guitar.

I was super impressed with it when it did work, but the crashing was a huge turnoff.

It probably was a little rash to sell it though. Plus with Neptune and vocal-friendly timestretch, it was a no-brainer that Reason was going to get pitch editing some day soon ;) That was part of my reasoning.
Weird. Was it an older version or something? I didn't pick it up until version 3 and 4. Maybe 1 or 2 had some stability issues? Anyway, it's rock solid now and DNA is simply amazing. It's saved me on more than one occasion from my crappy guitar playing - Lol! Neptune and Reason's own audio pitch editor just can't do what DNA does - not even close. That said, I still use Reason'a audio pitch editor for vocals, just out of convenience and efficiency. I only crack open Melodyne these days for DNA, and that's only on a rare occasion. That's a pretty high cost of entry if you don't use DNA regularly. :(
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1947
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 13 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
13 Apr 2018
I only crack open Melodyne these days for DNA, and that's only on a rare occasion. That's a pretty high cost of entry if you don't use DNA regularly. :(
That's the thing.

I was imagining I'd use it to modify parts in samples (cuz my own guitar playing is flawless yunoe, .. no accidental open strings (honest :redface: )).

I got the first version so it's no wonder it was buggy. I'm sure there was a patch that fixed it within the first few months but it's just something I never felt compelled to use.

By the way there actually is this one developer who figured out how they achieved it and made his own multi note pitch editor. Originally it was released for free as well. Can't remember what it was called though.
---

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

Post 13 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Yes they have internal data analytics, which has very little to do with marketing strategy, nor how to attract new users, nor how to keep their current base happy, nor how to keep their REdevs developing, nor a whole ton of stuff that has little to do with analytics.
From your perspective, perhaps. It's easy for all of us to play conjecture when we don't know the whole story, though.
Everything stated in this thread, and most others, is from personal perspective, so I agree!
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

Post 13 Apr 2018

I got the MPK249 registered and got a license number for R10 lite but its not working. Akai provides a Authorization Code but when you go to redeem it on Props site, Propellerhead requires a License number and Registration code (and says the code is invalid in either field anyway).

Looks like I'm an "early adopter" and they've some kinks to work out :thumbs_up:
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
zumBeispiel
Posts: 171
Joined: 16 Jul 2015

Post 14 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
13 Apr 2018
I got the MPK249 registered and got a license number for R10 lite but its not working. Akai provides a Authorization Code but when you go to redeem it on Props site, Propellerhead requires a License number and Registration code (and says the code is invalid in either field anyway).
Looks like I'm an "early adopter" and they've some kinks to work out :thumbs_up:

Just give a deeply look at the "Authorization Code" that Akai provided into your account and you will see a ";" in the middle.

;)

This separates the 2 required items:
license number : RL1XXX-XXXX-XXXXXX
registration code : the remaining numbers (without the ";")

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

Post 14 Apr 2018

zumBeispiel wrote:
14 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
13 Apr 2018
I got the MPK249 registered and got a license number for R10 lite but its not working. Akai provides a Authorization Code but when you go to redeem it on Props site, Propellerhead requires a License number and Registration code (and says the code is invalid in either field anyway).
Looks like I'm an "early adopter" and they've some kinks to work out :thumbs_up:

Just give a deeply look at the "Authorization Code" that Akai provided into your account and you will see a ";" in the middle.

;)

This separates the 2 required items:
license number : RL1XXX-XXXX-XXXXXX
registration code : the remaining numbers (without the ";")
ZumBeispiel to the rescue that worked thanks mate!

If anyone works for Akai, tell them an extra line separating the two will alleviate all those support calls they're guaranteed to be getting.

When we see:
Authorization Code: RL1000-0063-034673;NEC2-YEFT-WDNA-VEFT
its not obvious at all, labeled as 1 code.

Quick format takes 10 seconds:
License number: RL1000-0063-034673
Registration code: NEC2-YEFT-WDNA-VEFT

Done, no confusion (codes not real btw, just an example of what it looks like)
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1589
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 15 Apr 2018

Since have an akai controller i thought I'd have a look. And now i have r10 lite. Very pleased with this as i can't upgrade from r9.5 for a while.

Q1. I have all my REs and vsts available but the vsts don't have the snapshots. Do need to do them all again or can i point it to a location with them that i have in 9.5?

Q2. Cause of the 8 track limit I'm likely to be bouncing quite a bit. What's the best way to go about it. I'd like to just export the song/loop at 24bit and reimport into r9.5 or r10lite.... but i remember something about there being a 64 sample delay? Is this still the case? I normally just bounce for mastering where it doesn't matter.

Happy days with Europa :)
Glory Days - Synth/Electro Pop - 132bpm, Dm, 3 min : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515755

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1589
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 15 Apr 2018

Another Q: can r10 full now open r10 lite (relt) files? I'm having a ball with better keyboard integration. Riffing like a bastard on europa :)

It'd be nice to know i could come back to thesr files when i upgrade to r10 full.
Glory Days - Synth/Electro Pop - 132bpm, Dm, 3 min : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515755

User avatar
zumBeispiel
Posts: 171
Joined: 16 Jul 2015

Post 15 Apr 2018

Zac wrote:
15 Apr 2018

Q1. I have all my REs and vsts available but the vsts don't have the snapshots. Do need to do them all again or can i point it to a location with them that i have in 9.5?
The screenshots lay down onto a new folder: Reason Lite.
So no need to recreate them one by one, simply duplicate/copy all of them into the new folder, they are not big files.

PC: \Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason Lite\
MAC: /Users/YOURNAME/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason Lite/Plugin Screenshots/

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1589
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 15 Apr 2018

zumBeispiel wrote:
15 Apr 2018
Zac wrote:
15 Apr 2018

Q1. I have all my REs and vsts available but the vsts don't have the snapshots. Do need to do them all again or can i point it to a location with them that i have in 9.5?
The screenshots lay down onto a new folder: Reason Lite.
So no need to recreate them one by one, simply duplicate/copy all of them into the new folder, they are not big files.

PC: \Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason Lite\
MAC: /Users/YOURNAME/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason Lite/Plugin Screenshots/
Music to my ears, thanks.
Glory Days - Synth/Electro Pop - 132bpm, Dm, 3 min : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515755

User avatar
zumBeispiel
Posts: 171
Joined: 16 Jul 2015

Post 15 Apr 2018

Zac wrote:
15 Apr 2018
Another Q: can r10 full now open r10 lite (relt) files?
Yes (tested with 10.3 MAC and later also on PC)
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 15 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1589
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 15 Apr 2018

I'm windows but that's good enough for me, thanks again. Much appreciated. I just need someone like selig to complete me 3 for 3. I have to say when yoy have lots of REs and used to work with a 4 track it makes me wonder whether i need the 129 coin upgrade option still. How much is 9.5 going for ...?
Glory Days - Synth/Electro Pop - 132bpm, Dm, 3 min : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515755

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Noise, TritoneAddiction, xfxmrl and 6 guests