Reason and Allihoopa...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aggie

10 Apr 2018

Hey everyone - not sure how active this forum is, but wanted to try to start a discussion....

I've been in contact with the website owners for Allihoopa - it was made very clear to me that their site is not for professionals. The remit of Allihoopa is in the spirit of social media - sharing, collaborating and enjoying some fleeting music making. My version of Reason (v8.x) is permanently linked to this site for collaborations. My question is; why?

Is Reason a glitzy little App, the same as Take and Figure? No.
Is it simple to produce a little ditty or melody that you might share freely and collaborate with others? No.
Does it take a lot of dedication and effort to produce quality, professional music tracks? Yes.

So why is it connected to a host of freebie Apps and Software, instead of being seen a professional DAW?

Can anyone explain this to me???

Cheers!
Adam
Adam Gill | BandLab

esselfortium

10 Apr 2018

Allihoopa was originally a Propellerhead creation before it was spun off into its own separate company, and if they were going to add support for it in Take and Figure, it makes sense that they'd want it in Reason as well to cover the whole product line. It really doesn't need to be permanently hanging out there in the transport bar, though...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

10 Apr 2018

I remember reading early interviews with the Props saying they wanted to produce creative software tools for folks who couldn’t afford the existing hardware expense. Remember this was late 1990s early 2000s when working totally “in the box” was just beginning to catch on. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard them say they wanted to compete in the professional studio DAW world.

That’s not at all to say you can’t produce “professional” results with Reason, just that it’s always been more of a hobbyist tool first - think of all the professional features Reason lacks, and have been requested for years now!

The fact that many professional producers use Reason doesn’t change any of this any more than the fact there are some hobbyists that have expensive home studios with “pro” gear.

Also worth considering: the hobbyist market is MUCH bigger than the pro market.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

10 Apr 2018

Aggie wrote:
10 Apr 2018
So why is it connected to a host of freebie Apps and Software, instead of being seen a professional DAW?
One could also ask: what makes a DAW seem "professional"? It's ease of use? It's ability to inspire music making? It's effectiveness as a tool in a studio? One could easily argue that Reason encompasses all of these, just as much as one could argue that other DAW also encompass these. It depends on the user.

Freebie apps and software, even for the professional, can be quite useful. Does it absolutely need to support 24 bit 96 Khz wav and multitrack when I upload a quick idea to Allihoopa? Nope. I'd rather save bandwidth and use it as a scratchpad.

Sure, it's a social network-based aggregated music pool of stuff I may or may not find useful in my work, completely royalty free. That makes sense. That said, I don't know any pro who couldn't get use out of royalty free scratch pad ideas in their work.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aggie

10 Apr 2018

Thanks for all the comments and insights - I really appreciate it.

I understand now how Reason "evolved" alongside other Propellerhead products. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe that Reason, as a PC/Mac App still has way more versatility, features and functions that those of it's iOS/Android brothers and sisters - to be tied to them at the point of collaboration demeans it. Just my thoughts, FWIW.

Cheers!
Adam
Adam Gill | BandLab

Despondo
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2018

Here's another viewpoint on Allihoopa. I like having it integrated into Reason. I am always sending my in-progress and finished tracks up there, but in unlisted mode, so I can quickly listen to them on the go, via my smartphone, tablet, etc. Since they are unlisted, nobody can see them unless they have the link. Very useful IMO, and it is FREE!

kuhliloach

10 Apr 2018

I agree the Allipoopster button is an eyesore. I'd like the ability to make it disappear via Preferences, in both Reason and in KORG Gadget.

• Information