Master Output Level

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

08 Apr 2018

Hi All!

If you want your master output (when mixing at say -6dB) and you put a maximizer and a say a Selig Gain on the Master Section. If the dB level on the Peak Hold keeps fluctuating, would you automate the maximizer to keep the dB at -6 or whatever you'd like to keep it at or is there another gain staging thing I should be doing?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

nickb523
RE Developer

08 Apr 2018

No, let it clip... it will be fine. MClass should sort it. :)

Look for the average level . ;)

selig
RE Developer

08 Apr 2018

Creativemind wrote:Hi All!

If you want your master output (when mixing at say -6dB) and you put a maximizer and a say a Selig Gain on the Master Section. If the dB level on the Peak Hold keeps fluctuating, would you automate the maximizer to keep the dB at -6 or whatever you'd like to keep it at or is there another gain staging thing I should be doing?

Thanks!
Not sure if this answers the question, but before adding ANYTHING to my master I look for peaks between -6 and -3 dBFS. Some parts of the song may not come anywhere near this level - these are the MAXIMUMS allowed, not the average and not the consistent peak levels.

I do this for two reasons. The first is because mastering engineers ask for mixes at this level, so even if I add some temporary mastering devices, I can simply bypass them and know the levels will be where I want them to be.

The second is because when working on a track, even near the end, I sometimes need to overdub another instrument. When I overdub, I often want the new instrument to be louder than it will be in the final mix, especially vocals. Because I have 3-6 dB headroom I can boost the track being overdubbed without clipping the output.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information